SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Basic Gospel Truth: The Law to Grace

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Basic Gospel Truth: The Law to Grace

Basic Gospel History and Truth:

John 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, [but] grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. God created man on the sixth day and on the seventh God rested from his works. It is an amazing truth that man's first full day with God was a day of rest. In knowing this we plainly see that God's plan for man was to enter into His rest. A place where we would cease from our own works, and rest in His. A place where righteousness wasn't by works, but by a transaction with the Most High. This transaction is without money and without price yet demands total abandonment of all things. (Gen 1; Hebrews 4:10,11; Gal 2:16; Isa 55:1)

Not long after the beginning man corrupted all things. Rather than abiding in communion with God rebellion was chose. This rebellion yielded the entering in of Sin and Death. Now Sin and Death reign over all that are in the world, the only exception being those that are crucified to the world. Sin is a tyrant that has enslaved all humanity because whosoever committeth sin is the servant of Sin. And we all know because it's abundantly clear that all have sinned. (Gen 2; Rom 5:12, 21; John 8:34)

Before the Mosaic Covenant Sin was in the world, but without there being a law sins were not imputed. Because of transgressions, the Lord in is manifold wisdom, added the law until the promise should come. The Lord added the law to show men the exceeding sinfulness of sin. Many a man in their arrogance believed they were alive to God with nothing separating them, but when they reached a level of competence they were slain by the law, which bore witness with the conscience, and the corruption was revealed. The purpose of the law is to reveal sin and work wrath. In other words it reveals the guilt that is already there. (Rom 5:13; Gal 3:19; Rom 7:8-13; Rom 2:14,15; Rom 4:15)

Now that the promise has come we that have entered into that rest are not under the law. We now have a better covenant. The old has now passed and the new is revealed. The law has no hold on us, and likewise sin doesn't either. The only way to not be under the wrath of the law or the condemnation of sin is to die. The Bible says the wages of sin is death. We must be baptized into Christ's death and walk in newness of life or be baptized into the second death, which is the lake of fire. The choice of all men is to open their arms to wrath and condemnation or turn to the open arms of Jesus the Christ. In Christ the righteousness of the law is fulfilled. The law was perfect and good, but the fault lied with the weakness of man. But thanks be to our God the God-Man came not to destroy the law, but to fulfill it. He did not come to tear it down but to fulfill all of it. Now our righteousness doesn't come by keeping the law, but by faith in Christ. We must obey the Gospel of repentance that our sins may be remitted. (Heb 8:6; Rom 6; Rev 20:14; Rom 8:3,4; Matt 5:17; Rom 3:28)

If a man is free from the law does that mean that we can live in sin? Of course not! You cannot be dead to the law if you are not dead to sin. A Christian must walk in the Spirit that the deeds of the flesh will not be fulfilled. And when that happens the fruit of the Spirit will be revealed and against that there is no law to condemn. As a brother once said, “Christians do not keep the law, they fulfill the law.” And we all know that the fulfilling of the law is love. (Gal 2:19; Gal 5:15, 22-25; Rom 13:10; Gal 5:14; Jam 2:8)

Does the law have any purpose? Yes. All those that are not righteousness are under the law. The law is the very thing that leads us to Christ. When we see the law we see the wrath heaped upon us, and then cling to that nail scared hand. (1 Tim 1:8-11; Rom 3:19; Gal 3:24,25)

2006/12/28 21:21Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Basic Gospel Truth: The Law to Grace

This is some really basic stuff. I just thought I would put it together to see what everyone thought. Questions/comments?

2006/12/28 21:21Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Josh wrote:

Quote:
A Christian must walk in the Spirit that the deeds of the flesh will not be fulfilled.

How does the Spirit enable one to not fulfill the deeds of the flesh?

In Christ
Jeff

2006/12/29 0:00Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

rookie wrote:

How does the Spirit enable one to not fulfill the deeds of the flesh?

In Christ
Jeff

If you are in the Spirit you have been crucified to the flesh, the law, and sin. If you are not in the Spirit all those things are 'alive.' To be in the Spirit you have to be born of the Spirit. To abide in Him you walk in love towards God and man.

I'm not sure I know what you are looking for, so I 'm guessing I didn't answer your question very well. I'm sorry if I didn't.

2006/12/29 0:28Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Josh wrote:

Quote:
I'm not sure I know what you are looking for, so I 'm guessing I didn't answer your question very well. I'm sorry if I didn't.

I am not interested in putting you on the spot. Everything you have summarized here I agree with.

I was looking for testimonies of how the Spirit enabled believers to overcome the deeds of the flesh.

Psalm 119 speaks of the many works of the Spirit in the one who wrote the song. His heart cries out because of God's work in him.

God Bless

In Christ
Jeff

2006/12/29 1:07Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I was looking for testimonies of how the Spirit enabled believers to overcome the deeds of the flesh.

Oh, ok. I wasn't sure what type of answer you were looking for.

I really don't have a profound or really well thought out answer for you. He has made some verses very real to me and are on my mind often. I think that many times we read verses and 'amen' them, but they are not realities to us. They may be real, as far as true, but not realities. A theme I think upon often is entering into His rest. Hebrews 4 is one of my favorite chapters.

Here is a poem I wrote not too long ago.

He has cleansed me from all sin
And set before me righteousness that I may walk therein
He is my Lord who I love to obey
My God help me to never go astray.

He is worthy of it all
For He has redeemed me from the fall.
And on my knees I crawl
Unto His Grace that I may yield my all.

From faith to faith
Help me to endure the race
That I may see your Eternal Face.

Bring Glory! Bring Honor!
That we may meet up yonder
To see Him! To be with Him!
Oh! Let us ponder this wonderful thought.

Amen! It will be!
For it’s Him that chose me!
That I may be like Him
Come Church, Let’s all remind Him

Of His glory and his praise
For He is the Ancient of Days!

2006/12/29 15:46Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Josh wrote:

Quote:
I think that many times we read verses and 'amen' them, but they are not realities to us. They may be real, as far as true, but not realities.

This is how I have come to find Him who is near. Certain sections of Scriptures do indeed become real to me. There are times where He brings us to understand what another also has experienced.

Psalm 119:

9 How can a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.
10 With my whole heart I have sought You;
Oh, let me not wander from Your commandments!
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You.
12 Blessed are You, O LORD!
Teach me Your statutes.

18 Open my eyes, that I may see
Wondrous things from Your law.

27 Make me understand the way of Your precepts;
So shall I meditate on Your wonderful works.
28 My soul melts from heaviness;
Strengthen me according to Your word.

49 Remember the word to Your servant,
Upon which You have caused me to hope.
50 This is my comfort in my affliction,
For Your word has given me life.

All of these experiences are summed up by this verse...

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

God Bless

Jeff

2007/1/2 1:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy