SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : THE OLD PATHS: Issue No. 11 - January "Preaching With Tears!"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 THE OLD PATHS: Issue No. 11 - January "Preaching With Tears!"

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/oldpaths_new3.gif[/img]

Click on the image above to download this montly release of the OLD PATHS newsletter. This issue features the speakers: John G. Lake, John Piper, Keith Green and Henry Blackaby!

Download and print this newsletter out to share with others at church, schools, etc.

*NOTE: I have released this a week early because I will be busy travelling for the week of the release.

2006/12/27 1:28Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: THE OLD PATHS: Issue No. 11 - January "Preaching With Tears!"

Do note that the archive of the prior 10 Old Paths issues is available for download here:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=429

2006/12/27 1:34Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Hi Greg,

looked through the article on tears, if there is no gap for no tears, then what you are saying is extreme.

Quote:
Preaching with tears is the mark of true gospel

. I know what you are saying, but its not in the bible. Yours is a high calling that you have in this site, so be careful with the positions you take.

My church would not allow me to hand this out because of that one sentence. It may seem that I am nit picking but if the sheep get hold of this they would have a whole of condemnation come on them which does not come from the Lord.

I trust you understand what I'm saying and that I am not wanting to be critical.

All the best,

2006/12/27 1:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
My church would not allow me to hand this out because of that one sentence. It may seem that I am nit picking but if the sheep get hold of this they would have a whole of condemnation come on them which does not come from the Lord.

I fully understand what you are saying. It is a article geared towards ministers that is obvious enough so the lay people should not feel condemned because it is not pointed towards them. I do think being a minister of God is a "high calling" and those that are called will share the sorrow of their master. Perhaps some of the statements are narrow but I do feel that if a minister is a true minister he will have tears for his congregation maybe not every sunday or maybe not in public but he will weep.

We are in a age of calloused hearts, dry eyed preaching and we know nothing of this. When I pick up and read old biographies of almost any men of God that was used of God they all had tears for the lost.

I do hope you will re-consider distributing the article with this clarification that the top artilce is geared soley towards ministers that is what the context of the quotes show.

This is a quote from a old spurgeon sermon:

Quote:
Holy Whitefield, when he began to touch upon that subject, would, with the [b]tears streaming down his cheeks, cry “The wrath to come! The wrath to come!”[/b] It was too much for him. He could but repeat those words, and there cease. We feel for you, if you will not feel for yourselves. There are those present who never bow the knee at night without praying for the unconverted with great burden of spirit. I know some here, strong men, whom I have seen overcome with sacred passion when they have agonized for you, and for the souls of the ungodly. It has not been merely a plentiful stream of tears bedewing their manly cheeks, but their hearts have heaved within their bosoms, and their whole being has been convulsed with agony of spirit, lest, peradventure, you should perish. All the praying people in the world I set as an assembly against you.

read and listen to the whole sermon here:

[b]Witnesses Against You -spurgeon[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13952&forum=34

2006/12/27 11:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Here is a response to this Old Paths issue:

Quote:
My immediate response is keep up the good work. I cut my teeth on Keith Green music and Leonard Ravenhills books on revival. Dr. Henry Blackaby's "Experiencing God" course was devastating to my religion and an eye opener on how to "join" God who is at work all around us constantly. Thank you for the newsletter. I am printing it out now and will look it over. Some in the church call me a prayer warrior, I think in light of over 20 years study and practice that I am just getting good started. So thank you for the catalyst to examine myself whether I be in the faith or playing around at Churchianity!

2006/12/27 19:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

quote from this old paths:

Quote:
"Will it not awaken us to compassion, to look on a languishing man, and to think that within a few days his soul will be in heaven or in hell? Surely it will try the faith and seriousness of ministers, to be much about dying men! They will thus have opportunity to discern whether they themselves are in good ernest about the matters of the life to come." - Richard Baxter

2007/1/4 15:06Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

Hey ZekeO,

{your quote}
looked through the article on tears, if there is no gap for no tears, then what you are saying is extreme.

{the quote in question}
Preaching with tears is the mark of true gospel

{your quote}

I know what you are saying, but its not in the bible. Yours is a high calling that you have in this site, so be careful with the positions you take.

Psa 126:5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.

Psa 126:6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

John 11:35 Jesus wept

I thought of these verses right away. I wish that every lost person that I was to speak to would see tears of compassion for them in my face, but unfortunately that is not the case. With this thought of tears I think of George Whitefield who preached over 18,000 sermons in the colonies and England during the Great Awakening period and later. It is said that huge crowds often went to tears listening to Mr. Whitefield. It has been stated that he may have never spoken a sermon without weeping.

By the way, are you sure a better word might not be conviction instead of condemnation. Maybe conviction is what that church doesn’t want for their lack of compassion for this dying world. It sure looks like nitpicking to me and an excuse to put the Spirit in a box and call it all emotions, just to hide a lack of compassion for the lost. That might not be the case but all this dryness that goes on in so many places sure isn’t pleasing God. You won’t find many people like the woman at Simon’s house at very many places. Luke 11:36-50. Mostly what you find in this often dead and dying organized church of today is a people who never examine their own hearts and think they are doing just fine the way they are.

ZekeO, after reading many of your seemingly balanced previous posts I am surprised that you posted this. Your statement probably has to do with thinking that what was said is that there has to be tears when preaching. I didn’t get that from the article at all.

Grace, mercy, and peace
GaryE

2007/1/4 22:21Profile
Vakugal

Bangalore, India

thought I would add a few thoughts.
Firstly I am reminded from the "Revival Hymn" (see top downloads) ..."the end of all being is the glory of God"
I pray that let that be the premisis of all our living.
Secondly I do see that Jesus was moved by compassion when He saw the multitude. And this resulted in Him doing good ... healing, message, etc. Without checking at the backgrounds.
I see that I am not moved as He was. I see that i do not see people as He sees them. Yet that does not/should not stop me. I want to be available to the Lord to be used as He chooses. Sometimes even to be available seems hard and I pray lord, "I am willing to be made willing."
"Lord help to see them as you see them. Help me to love as you love. Turn this heart of stone to a heart of flesh as you have promised. How can I be at ease when all around, they perish. Lord teach me to be compassionate as You were. Not for men to see. But a heart changed within, a heart that you approve of."
And our Lord tells us that whatever we ask according to His will, in His name, we shall receive it. Amen.
Evangelism/Preaching starts in the hidden closet. Asking the lord of the harvest to send forth workers. And if the Lord chooses that today it be me/you, then be assured that He will equipe us with the heart that we need to see others as He would see.

2007/1/12 0:20Profile
burningfur

Re:

Evangelism and Witnessing simply becomes effective when you carry the burden. There are many, many evangelists who weeped when they preached. I know of one seed sower who started weeping when she was talking to a young adult. His heart was opened when she shared her love with him. He later became a Christian.

I pray that the church regains her heart and stains her face with tears for the lost and the compromised.

2007/1/20 23:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Evangelism and Witnessing simply becomes effective when you carry the burden. There are many, many evangelists who weeped when they preached.

Amen. I am going to write a article on the topic of "pleading" in evangelism. God willing. I do think this is a lost and most needful subject to have aroused in the Church in the area of evangelism.

2007/1/29 2:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy