SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Purpose Driven Life vs. My Utmost?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Purpose Driven Life vs. My Utmost?

May I get this out here? On the back cover of The Purpose Driven Life it is quoted by Bruce Wilkinson (author of Prayer of Jabez :( )

"Destined to be a classic on the Christian life, I predict The purpose Driven Life will become the "My Utmost for His Highest' of the 21st century. Timeless, profound, compelling, and transforming, this book is a priceless gift for anyone who wants to know their purpose and fulfill their destiny. As the Purpose Driven Church has had the most profound impact on the church world-wide of any book in this generation, Rick Warren's new, groundbreaking MANIFESTO (caps mine) will set millions of people free to live the lives God intended. This is the book we've all been waiting for!"

May I just say that if anyone reading this does not know their purpose, listen up: To GLORIFY GOD and live for Him.

I'm sorry Bruce Wilkinson, but My Utmost puts this book to shame! My Utmost is about holiness and not happiness.

Just my 2cents. ;-)

2004/2/21 17:34Profile
Philip

Kansas, USA

Re: Purpose Driven Life vs. My Utmost?

Amen and AMEN!

2004/2/21 18:51Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Purpose Driven Life vs. My Utmost?

A good related message:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=1287] Purpose, Principles, and The Person: A Personal Testimony[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=129]Devern Fromke[/url]

2004/2/22 5:07Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Thanks Mike!

A wonderful message. I cried just knowing the knowledge and wisdom from his age that he possessed. 'Wrecked on God". This is my desire too. I saw this in Oswald Chamber's biography too.

There are just so many teachings, so many views out there- it's like a whirlwind. The simplicity of just wanting to be wrecked on God- that He wants to bring us back to Him alone- where our principles, our purposes don't mean anything. It is just Him.

Thanks again. I will be listening to more of him.

While he was speaking, I thought to myself- if I were dying and knew I only had a short time to live- what would be important to me? What would i want others to know. What would God want me to give as my final words and thought to others?

The love of Christ. The truth of Him living in me. Does arguing anything really matter? Does trying to prove your point really matter?

I think I would say:

"Do you know how much Jesus really loves you? Won't you give up everything for Him? Won't you throw your hands up to Him and surrender? He longs to have you all to Himself. What a love He has for you!"

In His perfect love, Chanin

2004/2/22 7:22Profile
Roxi

Tallahassee, Florida

Re:

That is awesome. We need nothing more than the love of Jesus. Nothing else compares or is worth comparing. The things of this world are so temporary, that is a cry I want people to hear. Our Father in Heaven has an eternal home for those who are surrendered to Him and His purpose. Everyday is to lived as a testimony of Christ's love within us. I encourage you to seek Him more and continue to pray for the lost.
Roxi

2004/2/22 11:58Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

When I read [i]Purpose-Driven Life,[/i] I did not understand it as a "make-me-feel-good" book (as the first poster was apparent asserting). The point that I gathered is that humans are created by God for God, with God's purpose. When we live by the purpose of God, we live an abundant life, which naturally gives us a deepest satisfaction nothing else could give. Precisely the point made by John Piper in [i]Desiring God.[/i]

Westminster Shorter Catechism:
[i]"What is the chief end of man?
The chief end of man is to glorify God and [b]to enjoy him[/b] for ever."[/i]

2004/2/24 9:38Profile
moreofHim

Re:

I am sure the Lord can use this book however He sees fit. I am not too opposed to a new Christian or seeker getting encouragement and some direction from this book.

I am a little concerned that it does not address repentance hardly at all. (I know it does in one tiny part) and the fact that the "prayer to get saved" does not really show or admit that we are sinners and destitute and forlorn without God's forgiveness.

I felt like it was more of an "i'm ok- you're ok" book. I also felt that the second half of the book was trying to get people to sell their souls to their church.

I know some people will get some good from P.D.L. but it is more of a lukewarm gospel.

My only point was comparing it to My Utmost. They really don't have anything in common. My Utmost addresses holiness and surrender of everything- while Purpose addresses "where we fit in in God's plan."

It is so subtle. This is what concerns me. That people may actually believe that it compares to something like My Utmost. hmmmm

In Him, Chanin

2004/2/24 11:19Profile
Rahman

Re: Purpose Driven Life

Our Lord is good to me in that He always has someone give me a book if He wants to tell/show me something thru it ... I don't buy Christian books (except recently The Christian In Complete Armour), mainly because it's a 4.5 billion dollar a year industry that doesn't seem to have done much good for the modern Church as a whole ... I tend to read THE BOOK, while asking the Holy Ghost to illumine.

The main thing I didn't like about "The Purpose Driven Life" was that the actual scripture (chapter and verse) wasn't beside what seemed like awful paraphrases of my Ryrie KJ Study Bible ... But what the Lord did show me thru "TPDL" was that He was the reason why He started me out Catholic, raised me a Jehovah's Witness, saved me via the Baptist's, and Christian walked me the past 23 years under Pentecostalism ... In other words what to me has seemed like a weird, strange, twisted, confusing, unnecessarily dramatic life is in fact exactly what God required for me to be me exactly who I am, for His own good and exclusive purpose ... So I thank Him that thru "TPDL" He's diffused my perturbed cloaked accusation (in the form of a question) of Him, "Lord, why did you allow me to go thru hell to get to heaven"? ... Because it suited His Divine plan for my life ... I don't know exactly or fully how, but clearly mine is not to reason why, mine is but His will to do, and if need be die ... It pleases Him sometimes to "bruise" ... He did it with His own Son to the ultimate salvation of mankind ... It's the same with me, if only I was as willing to accept my bruising as Jesus did ... Alas, I'm not ... Amen

2004/5/11 12:56Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Rahman wrote:

" I tend to read THE BOOK, while asking the Holy Ghost to illumine."

I have found the same treasure. I don't need new translation because I'm bored. I need new revelations.

I must admit that the Purpose Driven Book has helped our family. We are currently looking for a new church. If the Purpose Driven Book is used by the church we visit we can quickly decide to move on to another church.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/5/12 11:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy