SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Entire Sanctification...Really?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

(EDIT: I cleaned up the formatting a bit.)

Quote:
Wesley never believed that Sanctification was by works, you have misread him sir.

My wording was awkward and for that I apologize. Wesley [b]never[/b] taught that sanctification was achieved by works, it was solely by faith. He said this countless times and the implication that he taught legalism was clearly a fallacy.

I have read "Christian Perfection" and many of Wesley's works and believe he was absolutely correct. I have posted many thoughts on this blessed experience and obviously believe it to be true, but it has to be walked out.

Someone asked what would impact would this have on the life on the believer and I take this from J.A. Wood's autiobiography. His book in my view is one of the best on "Entire Sanctification" and was endorsed by William and Catherine Booth and many others.

THE RESULTS OF THIS CLEANSING BAPTISM
By J.A. Wood

1. A sacred nearness to God, my Saviour. The distance between God and my soul has appeared annihilated, and the glory and presence of divinity have often appeared like a flood of sunlight, surrounding and pervading my whole being.

2. A sense of inexpressible sweetness in Christ. The fact that he is "the rose of Sharon," "the lily of the valley," "the brightness of his (the Father's) glory," has at times filled my soul with ecstatic rapture.

3. A deep, realizing sense of spiritual things. Bible truth has appeared transformed into solid realities. The doctrines of the gospel become to me tangible facts.

4. A surprising richness and fullness of meaning in the Scriptures, which I had not before realized. Many portions of the Bible, which I had hitherto but little understood, now appeared full of meaning, and exceedingly precious.

5. A triumph over temptation more complete and habitual. After that baptism I found no elements in my heart siding with the tempter. Before, I was conscious of inward affinities which sided with the tempter.

6. A great increase in spiritual power. This I realized in my closet devotions, in my pastoral duties, and especially in the pulpit, in presenting the blessed truth of God. I learned by experience that man may receive the Holy Spirit in measure limited only by his capacity to receive, and feeble ability to endure Him.

7. A clear and distinct witness of purity through the blood of Christ. The testimony of the
Holy Spirit, and of my spirit, to the entire sanctification of my soul, became more clear and convincing than any I ever had of my regeneration; although I had no doubt of that years before.

8. A disposition to tell the blessed story of Christ and his "great salvation." I longed for a
thousand tongues to publish the glad tidings to perishing men.

2006/12/27 13:07Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Oh ok...

God bless you!

2006/12/27 13:51Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Quote:
God bless you!

God bless you my friend. J.A. Wood had an unusual annointing to speak on this topic. I would encourage you to read the book. Here's a site that I often read the book: [url=http://www.raptureready.com/resource/wood/wood.html]Perfect Love[/url].

2006/12/27 14:50Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

Quote:
Once again that is one sided...if you are a Calvinist they are biblical...

Does that mean that the belief of entire sanctification is only for arminians?

2006/12/27 16:38Profile

Re:

It's important to define terms.

I define entire sanctification as: The complete obedience to the amount of light you possess, with all of your current ability.

That sounds quite Christian to me. We are to obey the truth we know to the best that we possibly can.

2006/12/27 17:00
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Hello Kristy,

No, I certainly don't think so. I'm sure there are Calvinists who believe in something akin to entire sanctification. I have a book by one such man, named A.B. Simpson and his book is online here [url=http://www.gospeljohn.com/simpson_whollysanctified1.htm]Wholly Sanctified[/url]. Note: (Brother Jesse may be correct but there was something in the book that lead me to think he was Calvinistic in his thinking.)

As to a good definition of entire sanctification I go back to Reverend J.A. Wood's excellent explanation in "Perfect Love" and he used the phrase "full sanctification."

What terms are commonly used to express full salvation?

The scripture terms are, "perfect love," "perfection," "sanctification," and "holiness." These terms are synonymous, all pointing to the same precious state of grace. While they denote the same religious state, each one of them indicates some essential characteristic, and hence these terms are significantly expressive of full salvation. The word "sanctification" has the double meaning of consecration and purification, -- the Old Testament sense of setting apart to a sacred service: "sanctify yourselves and be ye holy;" and the New Testament sense of spiritual purification: "sanctify them through thy truth."

The word "sanctify," and its derivatives, occur in the Scriptures, with reference to men and things, over one hundred times. The term "perfection" signifies completeness of Christian character; its freedom from all sin, and possession of all the graces of the Spirit, complete in kind. "Let us go on unto perfection." The word "perfection" and its relatives, occur one hundred and one times in the Scriptures. In over fifty of these instances it is predicated of human character under the operation of grace. The term "holiness" is more generic and comprehensive than the others, including salvation from sin, and the possession of the image and spirit of God. To be holy is to be whole, entire, or perfect in a moral sense, and in ordinary use is synonymous with purity and godliness. "Follow peace with all men, and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord." The word "holy" and its derivatives, occur not less than one hundred and twenty times in their application to men and things. The word "justify" and its derivatives, occur seventy four times in regard to men; and the word "pardon" with its derivatives, in their application to penitent sinners, occur only seventeen times.

The phrase "perfect love" is expressive of the spirit and temper, or moral atmosphere in which the wholly sanctified and perfect Christian lives. "He that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him;" and, "Herein is our love made perfect."

These terms are used indiscriminately in this book. They are scriptural and significant, and Christians should not ignore them. No one of them should be employed to the exclusion of the others; nor should other terms be chosen to their exclusion. The substitution of "higher life," "the rest of faith," "rest in God," "the fullness of God," "the full assurance," &c., in the place of the highly significant Bible terms, is of doubtful propriety. It is unwise to be wise above the word of God. These uninspired names come of the various predilections of the different Christian denominations. Although names may be of minor importance, and little harm may come from their use, yet it is wise and safe to adhere to Scripture terms, such as the Holy Spirit has given to express His own work in the soul. The Saviour says: "Whosoever shall be ashamed of me, and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory."

2006/12/27 17:03Profile

Re:

A. B. Simpsons book "Wholly Sanctified" is absolutely amazing. It is refreshing to your spirit.

I believe Simpson was an arminian, being a part of the Missionary Alliance, like A. W. Tozer.

2006/12/27 17:08
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:
Does that mean that the belief of entire sanctification is only for arminians?

No, it is just that most 5 pointers attack it and deny it because of their view on "Indwelling Sin" or that they believe that sin is actaully the human body.

I would agree with brother Lazarus who said that it is a biblical postion that is all. Anyone that wants to beleive it is ok with me.

2006/12/27 17:23Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

Quote:
they believe that sin is actaully the human body.

Thats kind of strange. Well, I do believe that we struggle against our flesh. Would that be considered the same?

Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Romans 13:14
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Galatians 5:16
[ Walking in the Spirit ] I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

2006/12/27 17:41Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:

GraceAlone wrote:
Quote:
they believe that sin is actaully the human body.

Thats kind of strange. Well, I do believe that we struggle against our flesh. Would that be considered the same?

Matthew 26:41
Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Romans 13:14
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.

Galatians 5:16
[ Walking in the Spirit ] I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.

We struggle witht he flesh but that does not implt that we sin. Every believer deals with temptation, but...

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

2006/12/27 18:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy