Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible Reading

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Bible Reading

I've been having discussions lately about Bible reading with people. I have been taking the stance that it's not appropriate to make absolute rules (laws) to live under such as "You should read your Bible every day." Sure, it might be a good idea, but let's not make a law out of it.

Someone thought they knew a Scripture which said "Be in the Word daily." I questioned him on it and a few days later he got back to me and confessed he looked for it but couldn't find it.

Then I was talking with someone else about it a couple nights ago and when I was telling them about my exchange with that guy, they said there [i]was[/i] a Scripture like that. Again, I remained sceptical and they tried to find it. They ended up showing me some verses that maybe touched on the idea, but defniatley didn't say that. Yet, they felt determined that the Scripture is out there somewhere.

I was wondering if anyone here knows a Scripture that says "Be in the Word daily." If you know where it is, please share.

2006/12/21 11:02Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re: Bible Reading

How about Matthew 6:11 Give us today our daily bread? If you're not eating the word of God on a daily basis, you're going to be very spiritually lean at best. If I'm not regularly in the word, I can actually sense as my heart hardens. Sounds a bit strange perhaps but I can quickly tell the difference. I say this not from a legalistic mindset but simply from what I've experienced in my own walk.

I would encourage prayer in your prayer closet and eating the word on a daily basis. As to how long, I would ask the Lord and wait for an answer.

2006/12/21 11:11Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Daily Bible reading is not a command in scripture. If you miss a day here and there God will not strike you down with lightning.

However, He will bring conviction to you because He desires that we all study to show ourselves approved (2 Timothy 2:15).

The key is that you are in a relationship with God. Legalism says that one must read their Bible daily, must pray everyday. Must do this or that. The key is the word MUST.

Relationship is where you want to read your Bible daily, want to pray everyday. Want to do this or that. The key is the word WANT

I hope this helps.

2006/12/21 11:31Profile
Tears_of_joy

Good sermon for pondering, I believe you will never be the same after hearing this sermon, of course if we open our hearts [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=4247]Protection from backsliding[/url]

2006/12/21 11:44Profile
disciple_5

California

The Word of God says;
De.17:19, And it shall be with him,
and he shall read therein all the
days of his life; that he may learn
to fear the LORD his God....

Jn.5:39, Search the Scriptures; for
in them ye think you have eternal
life; and they are they which testify
of me.

Ac.17:11, These were more noble than
those in Thessalonica, in that they
searched the Scriptures daily, whether
those things were so.

Ro.15:4, For whatsoever things were
written aforetime were written for our
learning, that we through patience and
comfort of the Scriptures might have
hope.

2006/12/21 15:38Profile
myfirstLove

Joshua 1:8
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

2006/12/21 21:08Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I recommend listening to Keith Daniel's "The Word of God" with a yielded conscience. After this, you will stick your face in the dirt. I guarantee that any confusion surrounding whether a saint should saturate his or herself in scripture [i]daily[/i] will be cleared up forever.

8-) Brother Paul

2006/12/21 21:11Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I recommend listening to Keith Daniel's "The Word of God" with a yielded conscience. After this, you will stick your face in the dirt. I guarantee that any confusion surrounding whether a saint should saturate his or herself in scripture daily will be cleared up forever.

I can attest that this is fact. :-D

2006/12/21 21:31Profile
myfirstLove

Joshua 1:8
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

it is a command to love God with all your heart , mind, soul, and strength. and meditating on His word is part of loving Him because He is the word.

its also a command to abide in Him. Jesus says in john 15:5 to abide in Him for without Him, you can do NOTHING

meditation on His word is a part of abiding in Him. psalms says that the word is a light to our feet, it gives us direction.

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

meditating on God's word helps us to HEAR His word that our faith may increase. so yes, it is good to meditate daily that we may not loose heart in God.

i say meditate because it is different from reading. meditate helps bring it down to the heart where it becomes real in you. most people read the word just to fill their big heads that they may boast.

isn't it true when you skip one day, it can easily become 2, then 3, then a week. then you find that your heart is harden towards the things of the Lord? you won't be damned for missing some days, but you could be easily lead astray if you do.

2006/12/21 21:48Profile
todd

California

Re:

Hey, thanks everyone for your input. Although some good points were made, my initial search for that myseterious "in the word daily" verse has come up empty. I am becoming more convinced it doens't exist.

But if any of you ever find it, please let me know.

2006/12/22 0:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy