SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is God's "Comfort"?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

What is God's "Comfort"?

The following thoughts were first intended for the [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13722&forum=35&31]What about Simeon and Anna?[/url] thread, but I think they need to stand on their own.

Simeon saw the Christ-child as the “consolation (comfort) of Israel”. I wish to examine this word: consolation (comfort), and see what else Scripture has to say about it. What does God’s comfort imply for society, and what is our role as Christ’s ambassadors of God’s “comfort”?

What did Simeon really see?

Diane

2006/12/21 7:54Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Re: What is God's "Comfort"?

I have recently been studying/meditating in the book of Nehemiah. Nehemiah means "Jehovah comforts", so you can probably catch a lot of God's heart of what comforting means there. Many times God's comfort comes after a time of severe judgment. Isaiah 40:1-2 and 51:3 are good examples of God's comfort that rebuilds the waste places of our lives because of sin and resulting judgment. Noah's name includes the idea of comfort, for his father said, "This one will comfort us concerning the work and the toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD has cursed" (Gen. 5:29). I think Simeon's reference to waiting for the Comfort of Israel certainly has these thoughts in mind--Christ the restorer of lost glory to the nation.

2006/12/21 9:26Profile
roadsign

Re: God's comfort

Quote:
God's comfort comes after a time of severe judgment.
God's comfort that rebuilds the waste places of our lives because of sin and resulting judgment
Christ the restorer of lost glory to the nation.

God's comfort takes on meaning when we see it in light of sin and judgment on society.
Diane

2006/12/21 9:43Profile
roadsign

Re:

“Comfort ye…”

These are the first words you hear in the Handel’s Messiah. After the overture is finished, your attention is quickly captivated by a warm tenor voice proclaiming Isaiah’s ancient words of hope:

Comfort ye, c o m ………. fort ye… my people …”

Here are all the words of the song:

“Comfort ye, comfort ye, my people,” saith your God.
Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem
and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished,
that her iniquity is pardoned.. Is. 40:1-3

What a grand beginning!!! This is the very “comfort” that Simeon saw in the Christ-child: “ the consolation of Israel.”

“Break forth together into singing,
you waste places of Jerusalem,
for the LORD has comfortedhis people;
he has redeemed Jerusalem.” Isa 52:9 ESV

You will say in that day:
"I will give thanks to you, O LORD,
for though you were angry with me,
your anger turned away,
that you might comfort me. Isa 12:1

We also see this word, “Comfort”, in the story of Boaz and Ruth, one of our earliest redemptive pictures in the Bible: Then [Ruth] said [to Boaz], “Let me find favor in your sight, my lord, for you have comforted me” Ruth 2:13 The way in which Boaz brought comfort to Ruth parallels the way Christ brings comfort to us.
The renowned Baptist preacher, Dr. Alexander MacLaren, declared: “If I had my ministry to live through again, I should strike the note of COMFORT far oftener than I have done I R Hall
What would it mean to “strike the note of COMFORT today? In what way to people need the comfort of the Lord, as it relates to the ancient promise?

Cont’d…

2006/12/24 22:04Profile
caldwell1

Rockland MA

Re: God's Comfort

Quote:
God's comfort comes after a time of severe judgement

So true,We are comforted (Forgiven,Healed) Because our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ took our sins(Judgement)upon Himself

I dont know all the theological meaning and I will look them up,It sounds like a great word study!But Bottom line its so wild this opportunity God Gives us to comfort others.

"Blessed be God, Even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,The Father of mercies,and the God of all comfort;Who comforteth us in all our tribulation,that we may be able to comfort which are in any trouble, by the comfort where with we ourselves are comforted of God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ. And whether we be afflicted it is for your consolation and sslvation, which is effectual in enduring in the same sufferings which we also suffer: or whether we be comforted, it is for your consolation and salvation..." 2 Corinthians 1:3-6

We were just tonight reading this to our little 2 yr old girl Emma and its so beautiful.We have been given the opportunity to suffer for His sake and also through that bring the glorious gospel to bring that comfort,that healing through repentance unto God's forgiveness.What a rush!Are you kidding me? We have the blessed opportunity To be God's hands and feet to be His mouthpiece.Wow!Are you guys with me on this this?

2006/12/28 21:30Profile
roadsign

Re: The need for comfort

A pastor’s regret:

Quote:
I should strike the note of COMFORT far oftener than I have done

Many of us who are burdened for revival don’t readily feel comfortable with the word “comfort”. We are concerned that people are TOO comfortable, and the last thing they need is a comforting message. On the contrary, they need to be disturbed!

Yet, the Bible frequently associates the Good News with words of comfort: rest, peace, consolation, encouragement…. Clearly, Scripture strikes many notes of comfort. Therefore if we want to cooperate with God as his messengers of the “glad tidings” we need to understand the need for “comfort”. Otherwise, all our attempts to share and preach the gospel will be as comfortless as a cup of sawdust is to the thirsty person.

Comfort is a legitimate need. It is necessary for survival. Without adequate comfort, our entire sense of well-being is threatened, and we break down. Jesus understood the importance of meeting legitimate needs for comfort, and he met them – through various miracles. Also, there are several Biblical references about God’s faithfulness in providing natural needs – food, clothing, shelter, safety… .

There is a reason for providing for temporal needs before offering eternal food. A starving man will have trouble accepting truths about Christ if food has not been provided first. What about an emotionally starving person?

Interestingly, at the final judgment our faith will be measured not by our evangelistic efforts, but by our ability to meet basic human needs – which of all things, is demonstrated in the way we offer comfort – a glass of water. It seems so unspiritual.

Here’s a thought: If our society is so obsessed with seeking worldly comforts, then what does that say about the condition of their hearts? Are they really experiencing comfort – deep down?

… or the opposite?

”Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth;
and break forth into singing, O mountains:
for the LORD hath comforted his people,
and will have mercy upon his afflicted.”
Isa 49:13

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Rom 15:4

Diane

2006/12/31 14:50Profile
roadsign

Re: When a heart needs comfort

Last week’s Christmas gathering of in-laws was graced by the first-time appearance of our 11-month-old granddaughter. Isabella quickly became the focus - doing her cutesy things, taking her first steps, and capturing everyone’s delight.

However, not long after our arrival, I caught a glimpse of a young lady slipping away, obviously crying. I lifted a quick prayer for her, and left it with God. Later I learned that she recently had a miscarriage, and seeing the baby was too much for her.

Thankfully the Lord gave me a one-to-one time with her, and she shared her pain and grief. The conversation progressed to deeper matters of the heart. The discomforts of her heart (those effects of divine judgments on our society) were laid bare – and thus was opened up for spiritual nourishment.

God’s spiritual comfort: his forgiveness and mercy can touch the heart when barriers are broken down and acknowledged. We can’t force down the walls. But we can have that “cup of water” ready – and God will be sure to bring a thirsty soul our way. After all, he is not willing that any perish.

”To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
and the day of vengeance of our God;
to comfort all that mourn.” Isa 61:2

Diane

2006/12/31 16:09Profile
roadsign

Re: ...refusing to be comforted

“A voice is heard in Ramah,
weeping and great mourning,
Rachel weeping for her children,
and refusing to be comforted,
because they are no more.” Matt. 2:18 , Jer. 31:15

These words come to mind when I think about the grieving young lady whom I met last week – the one who lost her precious baby through a miscarriage.

Actually, this prophesy was fulfilled in Judah when all the baby boys were killed by wicked King Herod in his attempt to eradicate a potential rival to his throne: the Christ-child. Imagine the sound of those wailing mothers that day! Doesn’t it make you weep, just thinking about it? Indeed, no amount of comforting measures could have consoled them. Nothing could have brought back their dead sons.

I can see why this portion of the Christmas story is rarely mentioned or included in the Sunday school pageants. It is too raw. Surely it would be heartless to subject our young children to this degree of human cruelty.

Yet, it is all too real – even today - just more subtle. Yes, still today the Spirit of Christ, birthed in his children, is a rival ruler for our worldly powers. That is because the Spirit, residing in Christ’s followers, is a rival authority. After all, God’s children belong to God’s kingdom, not the kingdoms of the world.

Of course we do not see inquisitions and witch hunts today, but we do see and experience the reality of this evil resistance at work. How many “mothers” are forced to hide their “babies”, or driven into seclusion. Think how often our religious rulers are threatened by the testimony of joy-filled Christians. Think how often these powers-that-be douse the joy through all kinds of controlling measures: rules, regulations, rituals, legalism, roles, silencing women…. and on and on it goes.

Our religious addicts have found their own kind of comforts, and they don’t want their bubble to be burst. In fact, they are so wrapped up in their own little euphoric world that they fail to notice the "weeping woman” sitting in the “back pew”. Any of their attempts at offering words of assurance are like dry wind in the desert – void of comfort.

“Rachael refusing to be comforted… “

Our society is weeping because it lacks the comfort of the Lord - that comfort that aught to be tangibly bestowed on them by Christ’s followers.

“… because they are no more.”

The institutions of society have been trying to fill the void, but they are pitiful substitutes. Besides, they simply cannot console the ever-growing masses of disturbed citizens.

How deserted lies the city,
once so full of people!
How like a widow is she,
who once was great among the nations!
She who was queen among the provinces
has now become a slave.

Bitterly she weeps at night,
tears are upon her cheeks.
Among all her lovers
there is none to comfort her.
All her friends have betrayed her;
they have become her enemies. Lam. 1:1,2

Continued ... (Thankfully this is not the end of the saga!)

Diane

2007/1/1 8:32Profile
roadsign

Re: Joseph portrays God's comfort

In the last chapter of Genesis we find a story that closely resembles the manner in which God comforts his people:

When Joseph's brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, "What if Joseph holds a grudge against us and pays us back for all the wrongs we did to him?" So they sent word to Joseph, saying, "Your father left these instructions before he died: 'This is what you are to say to Joseph: I ask you to forgive your brothers the sins and the wrongs they committed in treating you so badly.' Now please forgive the sins of the servants of the God of your father." When their message came to him, Joseph wept.

His brothers then came and threw themselves down before him. "We are your slaves," they said.

But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.? Gen. 50:15-21

“ And he comforted them , and spoke to their hearts.” MKJV

Imagine Joseph that day reading the letter (or however he received the instructions) from his brothers. Wouldn’t you have been filled with grief too? Surely Joseph must have thought, “And this, now? After all I have done for them? After all those years I demonstrated total and complete forgiveness?” Surely Joseph’s heart must have broken by the word from his brothers. Evidently they were still harboring suspicion of him - a sign that they had failed to fully trust his forgiveness. They still carried guilt, and that is why they could not trust him.

At this vulnerable time with their father Jacob now dead, the brothers feared that Joseph might unleash a vengeance on them. It would certainly have been a deserved one. They even begged to be his slaves. Now, that may sound pious and humble. But it wasn't. It betrayed their pride. Several years earlier they had been absolved and given freedom, which included a land of blessing in Goshen. Yet now they were afraid to walk in the victory that was theirs. Really they were leaning on their own efforts to buy their way out of their guilt. They were trying to use Joseph for their own selfish ends.

That is the tragic outcome of unresolved guilt.

Joseph’s response to their failure reflects the heart of God. ” He comforted them.” Joseph did not chew them out; nor did he pretend that what they did was okay, nor did he take advantage of their guilt. Instead he comforted them, that is - he reassured them of their pardon! He did so by turning their eyes towards God. ”You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good… “ And those brothers themselves were the beneficiaries of that good!! How much better can grace get!!!

Quote:
... Joseph wept.

God must surely weep when we, his children fail to fully trust in his mercy and grace, when our consciences harbor fragments of doubt, like: “God can’t possibly forget my past sins. Surely he must hold something against me. Surely I must do something to earn his love.” Oh - we are likely not aware of such thoughts until a crisis invades our lives – like when our “Jacob” dies – that is, some earthly form of shelter for our unresolved guilt is ripped away. Maybe it is a trust in our own good efforts, our successes, our good nature towards others, our religious habits, or the approvals of our church. Suddenly, in the vacuum our past comes back to haunt us. We thought that God’s grace was sufficient; but now, in the moment of crisis it’s not working for us. We are terrified. We simply are too paralyzed to walk in the victory that God has provided. Nothing but his comfort will help us.

Let’s admit, the experience of guilt is terrifying. When it is not resolved it destroys people and relationships. It launches its victims into pitiful addictions and other sins, all to deaden their consciences. But more subtly, and all too common for the people of God, it launches us into a willingness to degrade ourselves and sell ourselves as slaves in order to buy what we already have been freely given. Religion thrives on this kind of guilt. Religious people tend to aggrivate or mask guilt rather than offer God's comfort.

There is only one way out, and Joseph demonstrated it: It is God’s comfort – the “consolation of Israel” – that is through Christ.

How well do we allow ourselves to be comforted by God?

How well do we offer others this comfort? I suppose it is in proportion to the comfort that we have received for ourselves? (2 Cor. 1:3,4)

Diane

2007/1/19 10:43Profile
roadsign

Re: Jn. 16:7

The Holy Spirit not only convicts us of sin, but also comforts us with the assurance of forgiveness.
However, I am telling you nothing but the truth when I say it is profitable (good, expedient, advantageous) for you that I go away. Because if I do not go away, the Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Advocate, Intercessor, Strengthener, Standby) will not come to you [into close fellowship with you]; but if I go away, I will send Him to you [to be in close fellowship with you.
Amplified Bible

2007/1/19 17:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy