Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 O, my son, my son! -doolittle

[b]O, my son, my son![/b]

(Thomas Doolittle, "How we should eye eternity, that
it may have its due influence upon us in all we do")

You parents, why do you not bewail the doleful state
of your unsaved children, who in their sinful courses,
are hastening to eternal pains?

"What, my son! the son of my womb! did I bear you
with so much sorrow--and shall you be eternally damned?
Did I travail with you with so much pain, and brought and
nursed you up with so much labor--and must you be
forever fuel for the flames of hell? Have I brought
forth my child to be a prey to devils, and a companion
with them to all eternity? O, my son, my son! what
shall I do for you, my son, my son!"

2006/12/17 2:40Profile
kdbutton

Re: O, my son, my son! -doolittle

Doolittle's lament sounds very much like my anguished prayers last Christmas for my wayward son.

Last Christmas my son was in jail. How does a mother protect a child from the enemy when your child's biggest enemy is himself?

In my shame and despair at Christmas for my own son I thought of another mother. A mother whose son was an absolute joy, winsome, loving, selfless. How he loved his mother, how she loved him! Righteous in all his ways, without blemish.

That mother couldn't protect her Son either.

In my shame and despair for my son how sorrowful it made me to think of the exchange that was made, the reason for which her Son was sent.

Christmas took on a whole different meaning to me last year. Her Christmas child was dramatically magnified to me.

Doolittle's lament was almost to the word my angonizing prayer for my son. This time last year Simeon's prophesy for Mary was the Christmas verse that pierced my soul but for a different reason...

Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also, that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed. Luke 2:35

How can one fathom such kindness which God has shown us through His Son. How does one say thank you?

"That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness to us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is a gift of God: not of works lest any man should boast."

The good news is that one year later my son is out and stable, holding down a good job. The fervent prayers continue through faith because of the hope given to the world on that first Christmas day.

2006/12/17 15:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy