SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dead Faith Stinks to High Heaven

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Dead Faith Stinks to High Heaven

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

We all know that we are justified by faith and not works, but why does James 2:24 say Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

I believe when James speaks of "works" here, he is not referring to the works of the law, such as the ten commandments. To prove this, look at the work which he uses as an example.

James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Now we know that this was the faith that justified Abraham, but since when was offering your son as a sacrifice part of fulfilling the works of the law? Especially, since the law had not been given. By this we know that James is not talking about the works of the law, but simply "action" as works. Faith without action, is dead.

As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead. We all know that there is a spiritual realm which we cannot see with our physical eyes, but only in the spirit.

When you enter into a worship or prayer setting, and there are people in the midst who have dead faith, don't expect the sacrifice to be a sweet smelling savor to God.

Eccl. 10:1 Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.

It doesn't take much dead faith in a body to send forth a stinking savour. People can't understand usually that a body moves as a body. One person with dead faith can destroy the entire sacrifice of that body. It doesn't mean that nobody will be blessed or edified, it just means that the fullness that could have been achieved won't be reached.

God desires the entire body to be of one mind and one accord in faith. If your faith doesn't even move you, how do you expect it to move God? This is dead faith, and it might be there, but it isn't alive and doesn't work!

2006/12/16 3:10Profile

Re: Dead Faith Stinks to High Heaven

Question for you: For us to have works that speak of our faith in Christ Jesus, can we produce such works without the Mind of Christ Jesus that would speak of the faith that is of Him -- thus producing such works pleasing to the Father?

Orm

2006/12/16 8:49
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God, must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

No, the answer is no.

God sanctifies his people to good works. This is a work of the Spirit and of the new birth of a sinner in God. This is why its called fruit of the Spirit.

Good question.

2006/12/16 11:38Profile

Re:

Quote:

MattChenier wrote:
Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God, must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

No, the answer is no.

But Jesus did it that way.

Quote:
God sanctifies his people to good works. This is a work of the Spirit and of the new birth of a sinner in God. This is why its called fruit of the Spirit.

"good works" implied as fruit of the Spirit? Fruit as stated, I recognize. What would be good works "fruit" in that light?

2006/12/16 11:52
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Orm,

Faith in Jesus means I believe and trust in Him which means my hand is in his and so I will walk where He walks. In doing so I will then be obedient to those wishes. This is what Abraham and the other OT saints did the scriptures detail in Hebrews 11.

What else did you have in mind?

ginnyrose

2006/12/18 10:31Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Orm,

Faith in Jesus means I believe and trust in Him which means my hand is in his and so I will walk where He walks. In doing so I will then be obedient to those wishes. This is what Abraham and the other OT saints did the scriptures detail in Hebrews 11.

What else did you have in mind?

ginnyrose

But that isn't the way Jesus did it and the way He now purposes for us who are born of Him, is it? Perhaps we need to explain what walk with Him means? You go first since you are disagreeing with my take on it.

;-)rm

2006/12/18 11:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy