SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Take it to the streets!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
searchin

u.s.a. /

Take it to the streets!

my dad has preached the Gospel for over 40 years now. and growing up we traveled the country having tent revivals and open air meetings all over the place!

when my dad first began preaching he was praying and he tells the story this way...

"I felt called of God to preach. I had a passion for the lost to hear the Good news of the Gospel, but had no churches to preach in. So one day I went behind the old barn by the house and knelt down on a make-shift altar from a bale of hay and told God that I wanted to obey him and preach but had no where to preach. then God spoke to my spirit and said; everyday you walk by the general store, the county Jail, the courthouse....and God told me to preach the Gospel to everyone, everywhere not just to church folk who came to church each week."

that's the way my dad told the story. I was not born yet when that took place but as a child I saw the effects of that day. my dad ministered on skid row for years. he preached in missions, on the streets, in city parks, and many years in tent revivals across the country as well. He has an old black Bible that his mother bought him when he first got saved and it is stained with blood where a man punched him in the mouth for preaching on the streets of Pittsburg, Pa. and he tells of the time he was preaching in Chicago to whinos' in a mission and a man who had been a successful business man and family man had lost everything and ended up drunk and on the streets. he got saved and worked with my dad after being saved for a year or so. then years later they met again and he had his family back and was pastoring a very successful church in Illinois.
there are, of course, many other stories he tells....God is Awesome, isn't he?
but first...he had to obey the call of God to preach the Gospel to every creature.

he always made a point to work with local churches while traveling as well so that when people recieved the Lord they would be directed to a home church to be taught and discipled in the things of God!

I've known evangelist who spend a lifetime going from church to church and preach to the same group of people year after year and I always find myself thinking that the New-Testament preachers took thier message to the world not only the church....it seems that is where the Gospel needs to be preached....to them who are lost. I know there is a work in the church for teaching, preaching, and exortation....but let us not think that all the preaching in the church will ever take the place of preaching the Gospel to the lost....on there turf.
"Take it to the streets!"

2006/12/13 15:24Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re: Take it to the streets!

Great exhortation! I'd love to hear 40 years of preachin stories!

2006/12/15 11:23Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Take it to the streets!

Quote:
I know there is a work in the church for teaching, preaching, and exortation....but let us not think that all the preaching in the church will ever take the place of preaching the Gospel to the lost....on there turf.
"Take it to the streets!"

Thanks for sharing this. It is true that there are places to preach almost everywhere. I get a little uncomfortable when folk start talking about being called to reach a certain group of people. Whether they be 2 years old or 102 years old they still need the Gospel. I get nervous when I hear about a niche' gospel message to a 'niche' people. Everyone has a soul and all are in need. It's wonderful to hear of such a life spent serving the Lord.

2006/12/15 11:37Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

thanx for the kind words...and I agree totally with your thoughts on the subject.~~~~~~~~~

just throwin' this in.
God made the physical body and in order to be healthy we must all have a well "balanced" diet.

the same God put all things in order and to be spiritually fit we need a "balanced" diet as well. we all know ministries who get stuck in one area of teaching to the point it becomes there only doctrine and they neglect so many great truths that God gave us for growth and developement in Christ.....

A tight rope walker once said it best with this statement..."Balance is Good!"
God Bless... :-)

2006/12/15 12:58Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
we all know ministries who get stuck in one area of teaching to the point it becomes there only doctrine and they neglect so many great truths that God gave us for growth and developement in Christ.....

I think this is very true. Folk tend to be creatures of extremes. As my pastor says, "It may be true but don't go to seed on it."

I was thinking the other day that if I am missing part of the whole I am short no matter what area that is. If we don't preach the 'whole' Gospel we are no different than those who preach cheap grace. We may come out on the stricter side of the equation, but our answer to man's need of salvation is still [i]wrong[/i].

2006/12/15 13:33Profile
JesusIsMyLrd

Iowa, USA

Re:

Praise the Lord! It is enouraging to hear there are those types of men still out there. Our life is a vapor, and we need to be living as such, and preaching as dieing men to dieing (Spelling??) men. Praise God!!

Thanks for sharing, that inspires me!!

in Christ,
-nathan

2006/12/15 13:44Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

Quote:
Robert w wrote...if we don't preach the "whole" Gospel we are no different then those who preach cheap grace

that reminds me of a small quote from pastor B.H. Clendennen....
"The majority of today's main stream theology is nothing more then... 'cheap grace' sold on the market place of relegion!"
from such turn away.

2006/12/15 13:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy