Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Limited Atonement

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Limited Atonement

Quote:
Spurgeon is my favourite Calvinist; his love for Christ and his passion for souls was very great.(and his sense of humour was delightful) If anyone could pursuade me it would be Spurgeon. "Mr Spurgeon, almost thou persuadest me.." but in the end I remain unconvinced.

However, I commend Spurgeon on Particular Redemption because I cannot imagine anyone preaching it with so much heart. He will even tell you how you may know if you are 'elected'. If you would like to hear 'Particular Redemption' from the purest source please give it a read.

It is remarkable that the Spurgeon who preached this sermon on Particular Redemption also said If sinners be dammed, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for.

I have a lot of time for this kind of Calvinist.

philogos quoted from: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=916&forum=36&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=0

Yes I have alot of time to read a calvinist like that also. It is refreshing to hear some of the things that spurgeon says makes you feel like he believes in the Bible more than a theology of a man. :-D

I have been reading and re-reading 1 timothy and of the many things the Lord is showing me, one in paticular is standing out. The idea that Jesus died for 'all men' not just some, not just the elect but all of mankind was purchased by his blood. Here are the verses below that God spoke clearly to me on this issue, please feel free to comment on them or even go into more depth in the greek etc..

[b]1 Timothy 1:15[/b] - Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners--of whom I am the worst.

[b]1 Timothy 2:4[/b] - who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

[b]1 Timothy 2:6[/b] - who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time.

[b]1 Timothy 4:10[/b] - (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

2004/2/19 5:27Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Limited Atonement

Good thoughts brother.

Quote:
1 Timothy 4:10 - (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

What really jumps out is "especially"

I believe this is what Ron was refering to:
[url=http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0181.htm]Particular Redemption[/url]

2004/2/19 5:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy