SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Talk To Yourself- N. DeMoss

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

Talk To Yourself- N. DeMoss

I was listening to Nancy DeMoss on Revive Our Hearts this morning. She has been covering the subject of 'depression and doubt'- just what I needed to hear :) I encourage anyone who is suffering from discouragement, dispair, depression and/or doubt to listen or read here: [url=http://www.reviveourhearts.com/radio/roh/today.php?]Talk To Yourself- Revive Our Hearts[/url]

Here is a little clip including a great quote from Martin Lloyd Jones:

"Some of you have heard me share about the first year when we launched Revive Our Hearts. I didn't know at the time, prior to that year, when we made the schedule for that year, we didn't know we were going to be starting a daily radio program. So we already had multiple conferences booked. We had a full year scheduled. I was writing books, and the year was full.

Then we added radio—daily radio. We recorded in that first year, I think, 320 programs, and I hardly knew how to turn my radio on, much less how to do radio. In the midst of that year, for about 15 months, actually, I felt constantly overwhelmed. I felt, most of the time, like I was in this huge ocean with a tsunami—just a tidal wave coming over me again and again and again. I just, for months, felt like I could hardly breathe.

Yet I knew that God had called us into this. I knew I was there by God's appointing. I had no doubt. Really not for a moment did I doubt that God is the One who had led me into this. But I honestly had many moments when I did not think I would live to tell about it. I didn't think I could survive this. I mean, it was just overwhelming, and I found myself having repeatedly to counsel my heart according to the truth of God's Word—to go back to the things that I know to be true: about God, about His calling, about His grace. His grace is sufficient for you. His grace is sufficient for me.

I just had to keep counseling my heart. I would go back to the promises of God, to the Word of God over and over and over again. It's during this time that I finished writing the book Lies Women Believe. If you've read that book, you know that the last chapter is just a list of truths that we need to remember, that counter the lies.

We put those truths on a little bookmark, and I found myself needing to go back repeatedly to just read those truths out loud. God will not lead me anywhere that He will not supply grace to enable me.

I would just read those truths—read them out loud, counseling my heart according to God's Word, saying to my heart, “Heart, why are you discouraged? Why are you overwhelmed? Hope in God! Don't look at the storm around you. Don't look at the circumstances." I'm telling you, I could counsel my heart that way first thing in the morning in my quiet time and before 10:00 in the morning I was having to counsel my heart again—again and again and again.

The enemy uses deception. He uses storms. He uses distress to overwhelm us, and some of you are living with real life circumstances and situations that—they're not going away. Mine, the most distressing part of that was about 15 months long, and then God started to lift the cloud, and I started to see some of the hope and started to feel some of the hope.

But some of you are living in a marriage or with a child with a physical disability or in a financial situation—it's not going away in 15 months. You're going to be living with that situation maybe for a long time to come. You've got to keep counseling your heart according to the Word of God.

Talk to yourself. Tell yourself the Truth. Tell yourself what you know to be true. God is sovereign. God is wise. He doesn't make mistakes. God loves me. He's not going to bring anything into my life except that which would be for my ultimate good. Keep counseling your heart according to the Word of God. Tell your heart, “Hope in God.”

Martyn Lloyd-Jones, in commenting on this passage (a great Bible teacher of past generation) says, [b]“We must talk to ourselves instead of allowing ‘ourselves’ to talk to us! . . . You must say to your soul, ‘Why art thou cast down’—what business have you to be disquieted? You must . . . exhort yourself, and say to yourself: ‘Hope thou in God’—instead of muttering in this depressed, unhappy way. And then you must go on to remind yourself of God, Who God is, and what God is, and what God has done, and what God has pledged Himself to do.

Then he says, “Then having done that, end on this great note: defy yourself, and defy other people, and defy the devil and the whole world, and say with this man: ‘I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance, who is also the health of my countenance and my God.’” 1[/b]"

In His grace, Chanin

2006/12/6 20:20Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Talk To Yourself- N. DeMoss

Quote:
“We must talk to ourselves instead of allowing ‘ourselves’ to talk to us! . . .

I read the book "spiritual depression" by Martyn Lloyd Jones it was very helpful!

2006/12/7 1:38Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
I read the book "spiritual depression" by Martyn Lloyd Jones it was very helpful!

Brother, thank you!
I had this book on my bookshelf but never took it seriously in my hands. Today I took it and read some chapters, it was just right on time, food that I need it now!

Kire

2006/12/7 12:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy