SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Quote by William Gurnall

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Maria

USA

Quote by William Gurnall

"Since Satan comes as a serpent concealed in false teachers and tries to deceive us with error for truth, every Christian needs an established judgment in the truth of Christ. The Bereans studied Scripture daily to satisfy their judgments concerning the doctrine Paul preached. They refused to believe anything he had said before they 'searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so' (Acts 17:11). They took the preacher's doctrine straight to the written word and compared it to that; and the result was 'therefore many of them believed' (v12). As the Bereans dared not believe before, they could not help but believe now." -William Gurnall, a Puritan writer in the 1600's.

2003/7/15 19:49Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Quote by William Gurnall

Quote:
They took the preacher's doctrine straight to the written word and compared it to that; and the result was 'therefore many of them believed' (v12).

Its amazing how lacking we are in the knoweldge of the bible. A man of God that knows his bible will in most cases be able to disern very quickly what is of the Spirit of God and what is NOT.

Quote:
Since Satan comes as a serpent concealed in false teachers and tries to deceive us with error for truth, every Christian needs an established judgment in the truths of Christ.

I have been reading a awesome book again: "War on the Saints" by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts. Jessie Penn-Lewis had a tremoundous impact on T. Austin Sparks and Watchman Nee lifes. Evan Roberts was the 'leader' of the welsh revival in 1901-?

There are some reprints of this book but they leave out vital parts of the book because the publishers didnt agree with the content. i.e. possession of the believer. There is one company that has through much trouble re-printed the original without any changes:
Thomas E. Lowe Ltd.
Post Office Box 1049
Cathedral Station
New York, NY 10025

ISBN 0-913926-04-3

you can also get it at www.rarechristianbooks.com

basically this book is almost a prophecy of what is going to decieve the elect in the endtimes. Its a hard read, but a must read!

2003/7/16 12:45Profile
Jason

Re:

It must be a pretty decent book if Roberts Liardon, the Word-Faith teacher who wrote God's Generals, showed remarkable disdain for Penn-Lewis (calling her "Jezebel") and that book. Knowing where he is coming from, chances are that this book is a good one!

2003/7/16 13:59Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
It must be a pretty decent book if Roberts Liardon, the Word-Faith teacher who wrote God's Generals, showed remarkable disdain for Penn-Lewis (calling her "Jezebel") and that book. Knowing where he is coming from, chances are that this book is a good one!

hahah.. thats encouraging me more to read it and master the cotents. I think its a message that needs to be teached in the church I will try and do my part.

[url=http://www.apostasynow.com/wots/Contents.html/]Online Version of "The War on The Saints" by Jessie Penn-Lewis[/url]

2003/7/16 14:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Re: "War on the Saints"

I happened over to the www.apostasynow.com web site to check out this book and ended up starting to read "The Great Dream". Is anybody familiar with this, or have read it? It appears to be on the up and up and have only begun to delve into it.

In it there is a lot to be said regarding taking responsibility for our own sins. The misconceptions of grace vs. works. Laying hold of God's promises.....

Since I am not operating with a full complement of working brain cells, I am sruggling right now with this anguish of soul and mind. I know in the past in these forums I have a tendency to be somewhat Peter like in jumping to conclusions, looking back on some of the things I have written makes me wonder what I was thinking. Even now I struggle to put into words.....
Confusion.
Desperation.
Distrust of my own thoughts, feeling very much like Paul in Romans 7, all of it!
I cannot seem to grasp whether I am under attack, lacking true "faith" am just dull in my hearing...
Bearing my soul here, but I don't care. I am at a point of ...helplessness before God. I have been stripped of my pretenses, my work has come to a screeching halt, flat broke busted,financially...oh many other "woes" the bulk of what I am getting my just desserts for. Not to mention trying to quit smoking, thats a lie , 'trying', more like I 'tried' and all hell broke loose, so I quit 'trying'...pathetic..
It seems to be foremost in my 'mind' what the Lord would have me give up, yet I find no strength in myself to do it, just flat out whining and rebellion...wretched man that I am.
I have 'repented' of all that I can think of, asked the Lord 'to search me and..." make that 'confessed', repent means to change your mind and agree that you are wrong and have transgressed the Lord, but does it not also mean to 'walk away from that particular sin'?
And what of the Spirit, The Holy Spirit that lives inside of me, as odd as that sounds to me, why would He reside in a den of sin?
Don't need a 'nice word', I think what I really need is a totally lobotomy!
Sick of 'me'
Sick of SIN
Sick of rebelling against God
Tired of not "Getting it"
Tired of "Have patience"
Tired of "Try harder"
Tired of "Not trying hard enough"
Tired

Refuse to accuse God for my own mistakes, it is my fault for disobeying Him. You alone have I sinned against, O God. If I say I accept Your forgiveness, I know that it is true because You said it. But why do I not comprehend it, deep down where it matters?
I long to do Your will, but I need Your power.
Have mercy on this fool.
So there it is for the whole world to see, surely I will come back in days ahead and get a good laugh out of all of this and hopefully so will everybody else....I think I think to much.. all prayers for this disturbed individual would be greatly appreciated.

_/crsschk\_

2003/7/17 13:51Profile
Maria

USA

Re:

Crsschk (and whoever else is reading this),

I struggled with anorexia for over a year. While it may not seem it, it is just as strong of an addiction as cigarettes, I'm sure. I got so thin that the doctors wanted to hospitalize me. I remember crying out to God again and again to set me free... yet knowing that deep down inside I didn't FULLY want to be free - I wanted to be thin. Every power of hell was out to destroy me, this I'm sure. I was on the "praise and worship" team at my church youth group. I was even ministering at various venues at the time... first let me say that worshipping at "the altar of Baal" (my church youth group) did me no good. It wasn't until I left that hellish place (the kids in my youth group were either anorexic, bulimic, many many were cutting themselves with knives, others were stuck in drugs, alchohol and sex... and this was supposed to be one of the largest, best churches of it's denomination in the state) that I finally began to become free.

I can't tell you what formula to follow, or how or what I did/didn't do to find freedom ... all I can say is: GOD IS FAITHFUL. Do not give up. Keep "trying" until you finally "cease striving and know." Rest while persevering... but above all: TRUST IN GOD. No matter how long it takes, and no matter how discouraging your struggle, GOD WILL SET YOU FREE. For some, it's a process... and the struggle doesn't go away ... you must "starve" the flesh. God will give the Grace as you begin to move toward Him and away from your addiction.

As for the financial difficulties - can totally relate there! At least, my parents can. I was born in the projects of Atlanta, GA (my parents were "missionaries" to the inner city. Running a Christian school and involved in church ministry). There were days that we would wake up and food would suddenly appear in the cupboard. There were times when people, without knowing the need, would drop by with specifics that we needed - right down to name brand underwear for my 2 year old brother (I think he was two...ah well, hope he isn't mad at me for writing that... see, there was this underwear that was really popular with a specific cartoon character or something...hehe...well, it's true!). My mom has seen a loaf of bread last 2 weeks - my point is, God will provide. Even in debt, He WILL provide your needs. You may not get everything you want - you may not even get out of debt right away (if you ARE in dept or something ...) - but in everything, He will provide. Paul knew riches and he knew poverty. He learned contentment.

"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7

God is so faithful. And He longs for our freedom more than we do! How patient He is with us!

This point of desperation you feel, crsschk, is very, very good. It is actually probably a sign of progress. The disciples themselves had to come to this place of sorrow ... finally realizing that "in me, in my flesh dwelleth no good thing." It is only as we recognize this that we will make progress in our walk with Jesus.

"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world." 1 Peter 5:8-9

--Maria

2003/7/17 15:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Wow.
God Bless You Maria.
Thanks so much for sharing this with me and everybody else....

Quote:
"cease striving and know."

Yeah, I know that so well and yet..
The "Mr. fix it" gene kick's in, must be something left over from the fall..
I wrote a poem one time that kind of has that theme, will see if I can find it and the gumption to send it to you...

What you shared is very encouraging, it can be difficult to use comparisons and we all have our share of problems in the fallen state of this world, but it sure sounds like you have had your share and then some....
Quote:
but in everything, He will provide. Paul knew riches and he knew poverty. He learned contentment.

Amen...patience, character, hope....

Sigh, well as usual, just about the time I have "jumped" off the cliff to conclusions ...
God provided, got some work today and another small job for next week...He is faithful..
And I am grateful.

Thanks for hearing, Thanks for sharing.
Will keep pressing on ...
And praying

_/crsschk\_

2003/7/18 1:26Profile
Jason

Re:

The one negative about the apostasynow site is that they are strict pre-tribulationists and a bit nasty about it too. Just letting you know so you can be conscious of this fact when you are reading the material ... you still can get something out of their material, but it is good to be aware of where people are coming from.

2003/7/18 3:49Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Thanks for the heads up fellow 'Hobbes' :-)
Detected a hint of that as well.

2003/7/18 8:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy