SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What does "unequally yoked" mean to you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

What does "unequally yoked" mean to you?

There is an oft repeated scripture on this thread that apparently means different things to different people.

[b]2 Corinthians 6:14[/b] [i]Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?[/i]

This next verse goes hand in hand with it...

[b]Ephesians 5:11[/b] [i]And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.[/i]

On a recent thread about Mormons this topic came up, and I was attacked for critisizing certain evangelical leaders for participating in an event that was sponsored by the Mormon Church. I cited those scriptures.

Now... this is [b]not[/b] intended to be a continuation of that particular topic. In fact, [b]I would really like to see this not be a debate[/b]. All I want is for folks on here to speak and tell us all what these verses mean to you. Does it mean we shouldnt be business partners with unsaved... or we shouldnt married someone who isnt saved... or do we refrain from "fellowship in the Spirit" with the Catholic Church or Mormons?

I'm just interested in reading everyone's interpretation of this verse. On this thread I will not counter or argue any one point over another... I just want some honesty. I think it would be enlightening. And who knows, perhaps someone will come out with something none of us have ever considered before.

Sooo... the floor is yours! Go for it!

Krispy

2006/12/5 13:39
Compton

Re: What does "unequally yoked" mean to you?

Quote:
perhaps someone will come out with something none of us have ever considered before.

Well I doubt that some have considered how omelettes made from an even number of eggs, such as 2 or 4, are preferrable to those made from an odd number. (Unequally yoked...)

MC

2006/12/5 14:00Profile

Re:

Hmmm... and perhaps the hokey pokey really [b]is[/b] what it's all about!

Krispy

2006/12/5 14:07
JelloTaster

Winnipeg MB

To me it means many things. Certainly it applies to a marriage or dating/courting relationship. I also believe it applies to a buisness partnership. I believe it also applies to ministries as I've become aware recently that certain mission organizations operate in conjunction with secular ones. Perhaps these verses would apply anytime two parties are working toward a common goal.

2006/12/5 14:09Profile

Re:

How about a ministry that gets involved with a secular entity in order to reach a larger crowd of people? Is that ok? Sort of like Christian Music, where every major record label is secular owned... the argument is the secular companies have more money, therefore the artists are able to reach a larger audience with the gospel. Secular ownership of a ministry. The secular entity's goal is money, the ministry's goal is spreading the gospel. Would that be "unequally yoked"?

What about the pro-life movement? Catholics, Evangelicals, Mormons, etc joining together to fight against abortion?

Krispy

2006/12/5 14:38
Tears_of_joy

In Ezra there is very good example about this subject:

Ezr 4:1 Now when the adversaries of Judah and Benjamin heard that the children of the captivity builded the temple unto the LORD God of Israel;
Ezr 4:2 Then they came to Zerubbabel, and to the chief of the fathers, and said unto them, [b]Let us build with you: for we seek your God, as ye do; and we do sacrifice unto him[/b] since the days of Esarhaddon king of Assur, which brought us up hither.
Ezr 4:3 But Zerubbabel, and Jeshua, and the rest of the chief of the fathers of Israel, said unto them,[b] Ye have nothing to do with us to build an house unto our God; but we ourselves together will build unto the LORD God of Israel,[/b] as king Cyrus the king of Persia hath commanded us.

2006/12/5 14:53Profile

Re:

Ahhh... thats what I want this thread to be about! I had never noticed that before. I dont read in Ezra very often. Excellent example!

Krispy

2006/12/5 15:00
jordanamo

Shouldn't we look to what Jesus' interpretation/opinion of this is? And for that, we look to His life.

He dined with tax collectors and pharisees, but did not take part in their works... (I can't think of some others, maybe some people can add some stuff about His life that would expound upon these verses?)

As far as 'fellowship' with the 'unfruitful works of darkness'-- I believe this doesn't mean we cannot dine with the 'pharisaic' people of today, or the 'tax collector' (of today-- politicians, maybe?) or whatever-- hmm, actually, it's interesting how Paul says that to have no fellowship with the WORKS of unfruitfulness-- not the PEOPLE of unfruitfulness!! This means, if you dine with a sinner, or care for a sinner, fine, that is OK, share unto him the testimony of our Lord Jesus, but do not share in his works of unfruitfulness, under any circumstances.

I could be wrong, but I think this fellowship word is somehow significant. I can be around you, dine with you, and not fellowship with you.... yoking yourself with an unbeliever is not just 'dining' with an unbeliever.. it's attaching yourself spiritually or whatever to them, not just in marriage alone. But anyhow, look to Jesus' life, and see what He did, then look at Paul's life, etc., and we'll get a picture of what this truly means...

We have to just take these scriptures into context really and not go too far on the end with 'em ("You cannot have any contact with any unsaved!")

Edit: To respond to Krispy, I do not believe this is referring to not having fellowship or contact at all with Catholic/Muslim/whatever people, or even people in the church in general that are in unsound doctrine, even if it's 'heretical' or whatever (Mormons/JWs). I believe it means (and says) not taking part in their works. (I.e., NOT taking their "communion," even if it's an evangelical church as much as a 'catholic' church-- their both the same in deadness when their not lead by the Spirit, or not participating in their 'praise/worship' services-- but still loving them.)

Jordan

2006/12/5 15:36Profile

Re:

Jordan... you and I are pretty much on the same page.

I asked for people's interpretation because it seems interesting to me that there seem to be varying degrees of understanding on this issue. I tend to be black and white on this, others see a lot of grey.

Of course, the only opinion on this that matters is God's.

Krispy

2006/12/5 15:48
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

This verse emcompasses a wide range of possibilities. Exactly what evil do we see in the world around us? Do we suppoert it with our money? our silence? our friendship? Are we light which exposes the evil? Do we assist in anything that in our spirit questions but we ignore for any reason?

There is a lot of evil that masquarades as Christian .. so do we have the discernment to know which is evil and which is not? I would guess this issue is one we face regularly but have not given it much thought because the world around us is so wicked and we are getting used to the dark..

Oh, it says to reprove it! Now that will put you in the middle of some conflict.. And will earn you some genuine persecution at some point.

Personally, I would find it a whole lot easier to witness for my LORD at some meeting like Ravi did then I would at some church which has apostasized....my opinion. In fact recently, Jaya spoke at a gathering like this...the group had apostasized and I was in awe how the Holy Spirit directed her...I was full of praise and left with me shaking my head! Therefore I am reluctant to be critical of anyone who will go into the lion's den and ministers for my Lord and Master.

We must be very careful with who we fellowship with because they will influence us for either good or bad. What happens is we open up our hearts to each other and the Enemy knows this and unless you are one in spirit, the enemy will be very devious in pulling you down to destroy you, so yes, my understanding on this is we must be very careful who we chose to be our intimate friends. I have friends from different church denomination them mine, but we respect each other and work to build each other up.

My opinion and understanding...

ginnyrose

2006/12/5 22:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy