SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Concordances?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Concordances?

Are there specific concordances you use? I enjoy using crudens but for the last while I have been reading the NIV version which doesn't align perfectly with that concordance that was geared towards KJV users. Is there a comparable NIV concordance? When online I usually just search on www.biblegateway.com :-P

2004/2/18 7:02Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Concordances?

The 'old folks' used to say Youngs for the young, Strongs for the strong and Crudens for the crude! I used Youngs for a good while until I discovered what I could do with Strongs!

Strongs has every Hebrew and Greek word number coded. It is much easier to do this with a translation that leans towards a literal equivalence (eg KJV, NASV) than with one which leans towards dynamic equivalence (eg GNB, NIV).
When you have identified the 'number' you can then use other tools (paper and electronic)to find every use of the original Hebrew or Greek word. This is very helpful in getting a feel for the way the Bible used that concept. In the days before PCs I used to spend hours doing this by hand! You can know do the same kind of research in seconds (and forget it just as quickly ;-) )

I have found the studylight helps very useful when online. I don't know how they compare with biblegateway.

2004/2/18 7:24Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Strongs has every Hebrew and Greek word number coded. It is much easier to do this with a translation that leans towards a literal equivalence (eg KJV, NASV) than with one which leans towards dynamic equivalence (eg GNB, NIV).
When you have identified the 'number' you can then use other tools (paper and electronic)to find every use of the original Hebrew or Greek word. This is very helpful in getting a feel for the way the Bible used that concept. In the days before PCs I used to spend hours doing this by hand! You can know do the same kind of research in seconds (and forget it just as quickly)

Yea I have used Strongs quite abit.. I would just love to have the NIV text with strong numbers ontop.. I am also just abit worried about the quality of NIV concordances available right now. I personally enjoy using books to study the bible mostly. I am on the computer so much its nice to do somethings the slow, old-fashioned way :-P

2004/2/18 8:38Profile
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Re:

Could you give a brief summary of the distinctions between Crudens, Youngs, and Strongs Concordances?

2004/12/3 11:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The 'old folks' used to say Youngs for the young, Strongs for the strong and Crudens for the crude! I used Youngs for a good while until I discovered what I could do with Strongs!

Both Strongs and Youngs are exhaustive concordances, meaning they have every English word. Crudens has most you will ever want.

a) Youngs Exhaustive Concordance
1) the most popular full concordance

b) Strongs
1) my own personal choice
2) 3 books in 1
a> full concordance
b> Hebrew lexicon (dictionary)
c> Greek lexicon (dictionary)
3) Baker Bible House have made it even more useful
a> they have used Strongs numbers to link with very powerful bible study tools
b> see "Lexicons" below

c) Wigram's Englishman's Hebrew Chaldee Concordance of the Old Testament
1) published by Baker Book house
2) number coded to Strongs Concordance
a> you can now use a full Hebrew concordance without knowing a word of Hebrew!

d) Wigram's Englishman's Greek Concordance of the New Testament
1) published by Baker Book house
2) number coded to Strongs Concordance
a> you can now use a full Greek concordance without knowing a word of Greek!

2. Lexicons (very technical dictionaries)
a) Gesenius' Hebrew Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament

b) Thayer's Greek Lexicon to the New Testament
1) be careful! Thayer was a unitarian who thought the Spirit was only a force
c) these are powerful tools, but some knowledge of Greek & Hebrew is needed
d)Baker Book House have made them more accessible by number coding them to Strongs Concordance. Larry Pierce’s On Line Computer Bible & the Seedmaster Programme both use the Strong’s links.
e) see notes on The Greek-English Interlinear above to explain how they can be used

It is Strong's number system that is used with all Computer Bible programmes for the KJV.

2004/12/3 14:18Profile
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Re:

Thank you my friend! :)

2004/12/3 16:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Strongs and Youngs do the same job. It may be that Youngs has some advantages. But if so, and I don't think so, its a little like VHS and Betamax. VHS has the market, and in many ways so does Strongs. The number linked books by Baker and then the consistent use of Strongs numbers used in electronic concordances has really swept the market.

2004/12/3 17:08Profile
Svineklev

Re:

For those who want a concordance for the NIV, there is an Exhaustive Concordance (Goodrick and Kohlenberger) published by Zondervan which is quite good and easy to use.

If you need help finding a particular word form, analytical lexicons can be valuable.

As for lexicons themselves, I like Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich-Danker (B-A-G-D) for Greek...and Brown-Driver-Briggs (B-D-B) for Hebrew (but if anyone wants to buy me the newly translated Koehler-Baumgartner, I will by no means complain).

For word studies I find great benefit in Kittel's (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament) and the corresponding Botterweck and Ringgren's (Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament).

--Eric

2005/1/6 22:08Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
For word studies I find great benefit in Kittel's (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament) and the corresponding Botterweck and Ringgren's (Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament).

Yes I have much good report in regards to the theological word study by kittles. There is quite abit of greek word usuage but with patience any lay person could definetly benefit from this resource. I am looking forward to getting into more of studying the word of God verse by verse, chapter by chapter. I still find crudens concordance one of the best! and easy to use.

"[b]Next to the Bible[/b], I would advise you to get Cruden's Concordance!" -D.L. Moody

Its funny though in our age.. we can reap the benefits of technology and allow ourselves to be spoon fed the hard work of scholars and other bible theologians. I think there is something worth while for us getting our feet wet with a concordance and bible doing hours of word study's, we can never spend too much time in the word of God.. the old saints like torrey, moody, etc lived in it.

2005/1/6 23:10Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
Brown-Driver-Briggs (B-D-B) for Hebrew (but if anyone wants to buy me the newly translated Koehler-Baumgartner, I will by no means complain).

Is K-B synonomous with L. Holladay? We used Holladay in that intermediate Hebrew course; are there multiple versions?

2005/1/6 23:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy