Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Witnessing to Muslims

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Witnessing to Muslims

So Sunday night our fellowship went to the local mosque to witness there. We have been there before, though it was my first time. We were received well as they were very friendly and extremely hospitible. We had an interesting dialogue, with many hangups. It seems that not only is Jesus our Lord a stumbling block to Jews, but also to Muslims.

Here's a couple of hangups:
1)How can Jesus be both God and the Son of God? If God died then how could God will Himself back to life? It is difficult to answer this question. Paul himself called it a mystery. We simply said you limit the Almighty. They say God+Jesus=Idolatry, we say Father+Son+Spirit=God.

2)Adams sin was a forgiven mistake that did not transfer to humanity. Though they say that Adam was in paradise, they don't believe that sin nature was from him.

3)All prophets are perfect and sinless. So there was nothing real special about Jesus.

4)Being works-based they say on the scales the good must outway the bad. Using the same illustration, we would say you cannot do enough good to tip the scales away from our "badness." This is because even our most righteous good works are as filthy rags.

It becomes abundantly clear after only moments of conversation that the issue isn't differences in opinion it's the Word of God vs. the words of Mohammad. They choose the doctrines of man. The whole idea of a "new revelation" being written 500 years after the NT, and that being totally contrary to the words written by those who walked with Jesus, should be concerning enough to drive the Muslims to reconcider their position. So, this is the main problem--how to witness to people that have been taught that the book you have faith in is corrupt.

So, after giving it more thought there are at least 3 things that can be done:
1)Since they are works based, they need to see and receive the works of Christ wrought in love though Christians.
2)We must build their faith in God's real Word--there is abundant evidence that the word is accurate and true.
3)An encounter with the living God--an Elijah experience where it's the living God vs. Baal.

The later would be a definite plus plus! Though even the Jews that were shown the many signs and wonders that Jesus performed did not believe.

If anyone has any ideas or ministries that could really help, that would be great!

2006/12/4 11:07Profile
JGB321

Re: Witnessing to Muslims

First may I commend you for your desire and zeal to win Muslims to Christ.

When I talk to Muslims, I normally point out to them that the Koran itself, shows the Deity of Christ.

The account of the birth of Jesus is recorded in Sura 19:19: "He said, "I am the messenger of your Lord, to grant you a pure son."

Now, the Arabic word for pure or righteous is (afeefah), which means in English FAULTLESS, HOLY, SINLESS - and as only God is sinless, one doesn't need to be a scholar to appreciate that Mohamed correctly understood Jesus to be Deity.

http://www.excatholicsforchrist.com/articles.php?PageURL=Islam.htm

For further information about God becoming a man (something they ridducle), may I suggest this following article:

First NOTHING is impossible for God to do and this is found in the Bible: "Is any thing too hard for the LORD?" (Gen. 18:14.) and in the Koran 3:47: "Rather, when God decides something, He need only say to it 'Be!' and it is." It is interesting that Muslims will quote the above verse from 1 Kings 8:27, under the assumption it is correct, but in other places they doubt the authenticity of other sections of the Bible. Is it not fair to say that they are simply doing what all sceptics have long done: pick and choose which parts of the Bible they like, or which parts best suit their own biases and pre-suppositions!

http://www.excatholicsforchrist.com/articles.php?PageURL=THE%20BIBLE%20VS%20THE%20KORAN.htm

2006/12/4 12:46Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
First may I commend you for your desire and zeal to win Muslims to Christ.

Brothers,

I had a struggle with my faith for 6 months where I read the Koran twice and had much interaction with the powers of darkness in this religion. God I believe allowed me to go through it to prepare me to witness to Muslims. I have a very big heart to reach these people with Isa (Jesus) and show them the Injil (Good News)! I still believe the best way to witness to a muslim is to share bible verses with them with the power of the Spirit of God.

I always interact with them on a conversational level because their culture is of that of friendship it is considered very rude to just start preaching to them. But once there is a friendship level built that can even take 10 minutes of conversation, Then I am able to share one or two verses at a time with unction of the Spirit. I have seen God shock! muslims as I read Galatians 1:8

"But though we, or an [b]angel from heaven[/b], preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, [b]let him be accursed[/b]."

It is good to know the Koran also, I have had many muslims state that I know more of the Koran then them which brings shame to them.

The big thing to emphasize with "religious" people no matter what flavor is that they can never have HOPE! only the gospel of Jesus Christ gives us that. If, if, if we continue to walk in the things that we have been called to in Christ. You shouldn't preach to a Muslim a gospel of offence that they can sin as much as they want and still be saved, that is one reason many Muslims reject Christianity because of the lewd behavior of the Christians.

There is much reverence for God in the relgiion of Islam and unless Christianity is show to be in the fear of God and Holiness it will never reach the Islamic world!

2006/12/4 14:16Profile

Hi NLONG,

I've gone to the Mosque by my house several times to witness. I went up there through most of Ramadan and would share the gospel with them. I would even have dinner each night with the head Imam and Spiritual leader of the Mosque. I found it useless to try to talk about certain doctrines such as the Godhead. I also found it fruitless to point out the contradicitons with in the quran itself. The only thing that brought conviction was talking about their heart. Isalm tries to change everything about a person by external means. You have to show them their heart is evil. I was having dinner with them one night and we were talking about why the women in Islam have to cover themselves the way they do. They have a wide variety of answer for it but some of the answers were to protect the women from perverts and to help men not lust after the women (all external). I began to talk to the men about lust and show them how it was still in their heart and that even though they do all these external things to address the problem they are avoiding the main problem...they need a new heart. Basically what Jesus did...showing them they are still adulterers. As I began to talk about this every one of their heads began to look down and they were silent...they were under conviction. Focus on exposing their heart, calling them to repentance and a new life in Christ. Don't get distracted with biblical doctrine (trinity..ect) or debates about the quran and prophets. Keep pressing into their heart and show them that their motives and being are evil.

Hope this helps. :)

2006/12/4 14:23

Quote:
If anyone has any ideas or ministries that could really help, that would be great!

Ergun and Emir Caner have written some books that have been very helpful to me in understanding Islam. 'Unveiling Islam' and 'More than a Prophet' are both excellent books. They really showed me a lot about Islam and the Koran.
They both have a powerful testimony of how God worked in their lives and brought them out of Islam.

2006/12/4 14:28
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

Thanks. It never occurred to me that I could even use the Koran as a doctrinal basis for Jesus, since it lies about Him anyway. I actually ran across this as I was researching my question on Anish Shorrosh's webpage.

2006/12/4 14:44Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

sscott,

Yes, we actually did get into a discussion on the issue of covered women. They actually asked us if we'd like to know, and curious me, of course. Now we did attack the heart on this issue, though we did agree that modesty is important. I think we would have pressed the issue more, but we had time constraints and they had hangups and issues also with the Holy Spirit. They did not understand the Holy Spirit, though we did explain this. They wanted to debate and not concentrate less on the heart, because they cannot change that without the help of God.

Though they desire to please God and despise sin, I came away feeling they are very 'Catholic' about their sin. You know it happens (as a rule) and you ask forgiveness and that's it. Of course they said repentence, but their version of repentence is not turning away from sin and toward God.

2006/12/4 15:01Profile
Santana

Re:

Hey Greg (or anybody else),

Is there something in the Koran that states they have to kill anybody who is not like them??

I think just like most Christians, most Muslims just want to be casual. There "good" people who follow their faith but just want to work, tend to their family, and die happy with Jesus or Allah stamped to thier tombstone.

So are the extreme ones on TV that we alway see on CNN, are they the real muslims who are living the way the Koran says to??

2006/12/4 16:04Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

Santana,

Here is a link to Anis Shorrosh's website--his video debate with a muslim scholar is on this site. This link is about the violent verses in the Koran. Judge for yourself.

[url=http://www.islam-in-focus.com/QuranVerses.htm]http://www.islam-in-focus.com/QuranVerses.htm[/url]

2006/12/6 8:28Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

NLONG,

Have you read the book "I Dared to Call Him Father" by Bilquis Sheikh? The author was a high-born Muslim lady who became a Believer and how that happened. The book has many useful lessons. Just thought I would share this with you, you may find it helpful. It is available online at Amazon, sometimes on ebay..you will just have to look.

Here is a website you might find fascinating: www.answering-islam.org
EDIT: this link has testimonies that will lift your spirit!
http://www.answering-islam.org/Testimonies/index.html

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2006/12/8 10:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy