Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Humiliation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Humiliation

"Humiliations are always painful for as, but they will become easy when we begin to give thanks for them. God is doing us a great service through His work of chastening; He is redeeming us from our hidden pride, which ruins our lives and makes us unhappy." -from the article Repression: Supression, by Basilea Schlink

I just read this and in meditating upon the article this portion of scripture came to mind

[b][color=000000] And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.[/color][/b]

And meditating upon this two things come to mind:

a fear of the exposure of shame

that such exposure is ultimately a threat to our pride

I was then thinking how, at conversion, it is so easy to come to the light. Nothing is hidden because, in coming to the cross we fully identify with its shame and humiliation. Standing there at the foot of the cross we are wholly laid bare, exposed for all the world to see, as our Lord Jesus was. We have nothing to hide becuase, as we kneel before the cross of humilation we freely admitt to all the world that His humiliation was our own.

But then afterwards, as we walk upon the narrow road for awhile, we may see at times the dichotomy between what we should be and what we really are and here pride can take hold again. Instead of doing as we first did when all our sins were laid bare, we may be tempted to hide them from the world becuase secretly we've left the place of humiliation, or worse yet, were standing beneath the cross now clothed with garments of our own.

We know not that we are poor, miserable, wrethched, naked and blind. Or we do, but for fear of being exposed, we refuse to admit it.

This is pride. I know it as my own.

2006/12/4 8:33Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Humiliation

This brings my thoughts back to Genesis. This is the struggle that has gone on in men's hearts since the Fall when Adam and Eve hid themselves after sinning. Shame and fear were the first fruits of sin then and they still are now.

They tried to hide their shame from one another by covering themselves with fig leaves; they were thinking more about their standing with one another than they were about being pardoned by God. Oh this wretched pride, let it be consumed under God's scrutiny...
To the Chief Musician, A Psalm of David. O Jehovah, You have searched me and have known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You search my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Jehovah, You know it altogether. You have closed me in behind and in front, and laid Your hand on me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot go up to it. Where shall I go from Your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from Your presence? If I go up into Heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the furthest parts of the sea; even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me, even the night shall be light around me. Yea, the darkness does not hide from You; but the night shines as the day; as is the darkness, so is the light to You.
(Psa 139:1-12)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/12/4 9:21Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Standing there at the foot of the cross we are wholly laid bare, exposed for all the world to see

I believe that the person we most wish to hide from is ourselves. We cannot face ourselves in our full nakedness. That is shame at its ultimate.

In seeing God, we see our real sinful self. No wonder Peter said, "Depart from me, for I am a sinner." In other words, "Go away, Jesus, I can't stand looking at myself."

Apart from Christ's covering for our sin we will keep on running from God and grabbing our pitiful "fig leaves" - anything that works (we think).

Consider some of them:

blame
self-righeousness
false humility
religiousity
legalism
addictions
marital affairs
perversions
hardness of heart
boasting
materialism
sour grapes
envy
srife
atheism
malice
status
war
competitiveness
endless doctrinal debate
carrot cake

.....any more?

Diane

2006/12/4 10:00Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Reply to Chris

"in coming to the cross we fully identify with its shame and humiliation. Standing there at the foot of the cross we are wholly laid bare, exposed for all the world to see, as our Lord Jesus was. We have nothing to hide becuase, as we kneel before the cross of humilation we freely admitt to all the world that His humiliation was our own."END QUOTE

Cling to that old rugged cross and hold it near untill we are present with our Lord.

Eddie

2008/5/4 8:22Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

All things are revealed; there is nothing hidden
from Him who sees all, who knows all. The
condemnation is for those who are not willing
to receive the truth and to repent. The Spirit's
work is to bring us to the place of conviction;
where we understand that God is working within
to change us and to renew us. Our wills get in
the way of His working; so they must be yielded
to Him!!

2008/5/4 13:31Profile
roadsign

Re: humility or else humiliation

I recently made a comment to a sister-in-Christ regarding a situation where pride was rearing its ugly head. I said, “Only God can humble [them].” My friend chastised me for my comment, and pointed out that we are responsible to humble ourselves, not wait for God to do it for us.

Was she right? Let’s see what scripture says:

if you have been trapped by what you said,
ensnared by the words of your mouth,

then do this, my son, to free yourself,
since you have fallen into your neighbor's hands:

Go and humble yourself;
press your plea with your neighbor!

Allow no sleep to your eyes,
no slumber to your eyelids. Prov. 6:2-4

”How long will you refuse to humble yourself before me?” (Moses to Pharaoh)

“Because your heart was responsive and you humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I have spoken against this place and its people…” 2 Kings 22:19 (Huldah, the prophetess – regarding King Josaiah)

”Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.” (Daniel) Dan. 10:12

”Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” James 4:10

”Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

And best of all:

Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, 1 Peter 5:5

For sure, the test of humility is revealed in the way we regard others and treat them.

My friend was right! However, in defense of my point, I believe (from personal experience) that the ability to see our own pride is nigh impossible (especially if we are stubborn and adamant about our “rightness”). Without some degree of “humiliation” (whatever it takes) permitted or imposed by our Lord, we would surely continue full-steam on our path of self-destructive pride.

Diane

2008/5/4 14:19Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Diane, maybe you are both right?

I mean, isn't there a difference between outward acts of humilty, and the dispostion of the heart? Or at least can be?

I've been thinking about different stories in the Bible where maybe that is true: pharaoh, who did let the people go, only to chase them to the red sea, or King Amaziah, that dispatched a hundred thousand soldiers at the word of the prophet and yet took gods from the battle to his house and worshiped them. The prophets of baal cutting themselves and jumping up and down. The rich young ruler that bowed before the Lord Jesus. (EDIT: See king Ahab also, 1Kings 21:27-29.)

I had to ride the bus today so after reading your post I decided to read the story of Naaman.

Naaman was a 'great man with his master' and a mighty man of valor. But he was also a leper. And he didn't want to do what the prophet had told him to do. But he humbled himself at the council of his servants and did what Elisha had said.

But it wasn't untill after that God had cleansed him that he said "...now I know that [i]there is[/i] no God in all the earth, but in Israel" and also that he vowed to offer sacrifice to no other gods but Lord.

Some thoughts,

And I covet your prayers, both that I would take the opportunities to walk in humilty and that my heart would be humble also,

Chris

2008/5/4 20:14Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: humility, act or state of

Another thought here,

The Lord said blessed are the poor in spirit.

We are not told to practice being poor in spirit, but that blessed are those who [b]are[/b].

2008/5/4 20:23Profile
roadsign

Re: How do we humble ourselves?

Quote:
And I covet your prayers, both that I would take the opportunities to walk in humilty and that my heart would be humble also,

My prayers are with you, brother. I would covet such a prayer as well.

Practically speaking, how might we humble ourselves? Obviously it's not a matter of trying to convince ourselves that we are humble. (I realize that God's children are prone to create overly-lofty self views, even about their own "humility".)

What could be some potential areas in our lives where we lack humility - ex: view ourselves as better than certain others?

Diane

2008/5/5 7:23Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Obviously it's not a matter of trying to convince ourselves that we are humble.

I like that. ;-)

Quote:
...humble yourselves....

Anyone answering Chris' post on humility is obviously disqualified from being humble...so I am out of the closet. I just wanted to agree with Diane that in the modern self-help sense I do not believe we can twist ourselves into a humble position.

The closest I can reckon to finding a path to Godly hunility is found in 1 Peter 5, Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.

We cannot hope to 'make ourselves' humble, but we can willingly accept insult and injury without fear, anger or ingratitude, even with trust in the wisdom, grace, and loving sovereignty of God. After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.

It also helps to believe that each saint is also aching for the same city of heaven that we claim citizenship in, where there is no selfishness, pride or injustice...where there will be no records of today's offenses and shortcomings but living together in the peace of Christ. What is humility if not Peace be to you all who are in Christ.?

Blessings,

MC

2008/5/5 8:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy