SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How far does your faith take you?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

When you see God work in your own life according to Scripture; as He unfolds the meaning of Scripture and the impact of coming to a greater understanding is realized, you then begin to see how true the Holy Scripture is. You see that all the ideas begin to line up according to His way and not your way. Then because He has revealed just a small portion to you, you also realize that everything in Scripture is true. The question is, what knowledge does He want man to have. That is His decision, not man's. So when man starts trying to fill in the gaps with his own interpretations, man begins a futile work. It is all vanity.

One must begin by accepting the Word of God, and let Him show you the paths of righteousness.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/2/19 8:54Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jake writes I was with you up to this point. But all or nothing is a false choice.

Jake
I have to say that when someone says he couldn't care less whether or not there was a virgin birth or physical resurrection, I am not likely to be impressed with your judgments on such choices.

I think this is now my 4th request. Will you tell me your answer to this question. Mary was His mother, who was His father? If your answer is anything other than 'God' the whole scheme of bible revelation is undermined.

I am weary with your nonsense regarding Genesis being a revelation of neo-darwinianism. Winston Churchill once said 'a fanatic is someone who cannot change their mind, and will not change the subject'. Your obsession with this topic begins to point in that direction.

2004/2/19 9:48Profile

Re: Mary was His mother, who was His father?

Philologos:

God is clearly the Father of all of us and could bestow and embody His eternal spirit of love in anyone, virgin birth or not. This is why I say I couldn't care less whether Jesus was born of a virgin. It does not impress me.

Nevertheless, God DID bestow His eternal spirit of love on Jesus. (I just don't care how it happened, because clearly it did.)

I keep bringing up the point of Genesis not being a literal story because that is nonsense. You have to throw away all reasoning and overlook reams of physical evidence in order to believe it is literal.

Noah's Ark is clearly an impossible story and it isn't presented as a miracle. Gathering animals from islands no one had ever been to is what you contend when you say Genesis is literal.

And you hang all of this on the fact that Jesus spoke of Adam as an individual man. How do you know What He was thinking?????! How do you know what He knew?????!

You are making things up to preserve a literal Genesis that has no standing in truth.

Jake

2004/2/19 10:41
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jake writes God is clearly the Father of all of us and could bestow and embody His eternal spirit of love in anyone, virgin birth or not. This is why I say I couldn't care less whether Jesus was born of a virgin. It does not impress me.

Nevertheless, God DID bestow His eternal spirit of love on Jesus. (I just don't care how it happened, because clearly it did.)

What you are refusing to do is to acknowledge that Jesus Christ is God in a unique way which distinguishes him from all other men. This means you are rejecting the testimony of Luke that Mary was virgin when Christ was born. Why does this stick in your throut Jake? Why can't you agree with the testimony of Luke? Are you really unable to say that Jesus Christ is God come in flesh? Not God coming to flesh in some addition (bestowing His eternal spirit of love on Jesus), but God Himself come in flesh.

This is no light topic. If Jesus Christ be God His sacrifice has eternal value. If he is not, who is he? Why will you not give your 'amen' to His physical resurrection?

2004/2/19 11:25Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
And you hang all of this on the fact that Jesus spoke of Adam as an individual man. How do you know What He was thinking?????! How do you know what He knew?????!

[b]1 Corinthians 2:16 [/b] - "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

I have the mind of Christ, I am of Christ, I am His body. I am redeemed by His blood. I am a new creation and am in the likeness of Christ.

I really believe all these statements are true of me because I am a Christian Jake. We can argue back and forth forever and end up crucifying the saviour with our hands.. or we can come to God and humble ourselves and ask for truth and [b]life[/b]. I believe that is a person.. Jesus.. 'I am the way, the truth and the life.' Pray and ask God to remove the viel from your eyes to see the Scriptures as they are. I ask this daily and in what wonderful ways God is speaking to me.

Do you listen to any audio sermons on this site Jake? if so which speakers?

[i]please answer this question, I have asked a few times before I believe.[/i]

2004/2/19 11:50Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jake writes (part quotation) I couldn't care less whether Jesus was born of a virgin. It does not impress me.

Heaven stopped in its tracks. Angels watched with bated breath. But you are not impressed! In comparison with incarnation that creation that we are arguing about was just spare change.

This is the most awesome, thrilling, humbling, significant thing that ever happened in heaven or earth. This is the new starting point of the revelation of the love of God who so loved that He gave His son, and you are not impressed?

Here is an old John Newton poem

"What think ye of Christ? is the test.
To try both your state and your scheme;
You cannot be right in the rest
Unless you think rightly of Him.
As Jesus appears to your view,
and He is beloved or not,
So God is disposed to you-
and mercy or wrath is your lot.

Some take Him a creature to be-
A man, or an angel at most,
But they have not feelings like me,
Nor know themselves wretched and lost;
So guilty, so helpless am I,
I durst not
in His blood,
Nor on His protection rely-
Unless I were sure He is God.

Oh Jake, put away your science books and read Luke on your knees.

2004/2/19 12:01Profile

Re:

Greg,

I haven't listened to the audio sermons because I do not have web access at home and don't have a private office.

Jake

2004/2/19 12:12
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: How far does your faith take you?

Hi again Daniel
The whole issue of the degree to which we can or should trust the scriptures is one which surfaces often in these threads.

I mentioned that an excellent book on the topic was written by John Wenham, but on searching around I have found that this is now very difficult to get hold of and costs 6 times its original price.

I thought I would begin a new thread in the Bible Doctrines forum and work through some of Wenham's arguments.

If you are interested just click here Christ and the Bible .

2004/2/21 9:53Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I haven't listened to the audio sermons because I do not have web access at home and don't have a private office.

Hi Jake, if there are a few you would like to hear or I could suggest a few of the best sermons in my opinion, I could try to find time to burn them to CD and send a few to you? let me know.

2004/2/21 10:17Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jake
I have frequently asked these questions. Are you refusing to answer them or do you have no answers?

by philologos on 2004/2/19 16:25:14

Jake writes God is clearly the Father of all of us and could bestow and embody His eternal spirit of love in anyone, virgin birth or not. This is why I say I couldn't care less whether Jesus was born of a virgin. It does not impress me.

What you are refusing to do is to acknowledge that Jesus Christ is God in a unique way which distinguishes him from all other men. This means you are rejecting the testimony of Luke that Mary was virgin when Christ was born. Why does this stick in your throut Jake? Why can't you agree with the testimony of Luke? Are you really unable to say that Jesus Christ is God come in flesh? Not God coming to flesh in some addition (bestowing His eternal spirit of love on Jesus), but God Himself come in flesh.

This is no light topic. If Jesus Christ be God His sacrifice has eternal value. If he is not, who is he? Why will you not give your 'amen' to His physical resurrection?

2004/2/25 13:49Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy