SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mormons, Catholics and Evangelicals... Unity??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Mormons, Catholics and Evangelicals... Unity??

The Mormon Church in Australia presented Catholic Cardinal Edward Cassidy with an award for his devotion to "ecumenical and inter-faith dialogue" ("Interfaith Honour for Cardinal Cassidy," Catholic Weekly, Oct. 1, 2006).

The Mormons are gradually working their way into the mainstream of the ecumenical movement. In November 2004 some evangelicals, (including [b]Ravi Zacharias[/b], CCM musician [b]Michael Card[/b], [b]Richard Mouw[/b] of Fuller Seminary, and [b]Craig Hazen[/b] of Biola University) joined hands with Mormons in Salt Lake City for an "Evening of Friendship." The event was co-sponsored by Standing Together Ministries, which was formed in 2001 by "evangelical" preacher [b]Greg Johnson[/b] to "build greater dialogue between evangelical Christians and Latter-day Saints."

In the Deseret Morning News, [b]Michael Card[/b] is quoted as saying that he “doesn't see Mormonism and evangelical Christianity as opposed to each other; they are more like the two ends of a long thread--part of the same thing." He also said, "The older I get, I guess the more I want to integrate everything. [i]I think it's more important to be faithful than right[/i]" (Nov. 16, 2004).

I'm sure this "Evening of Friendship" only frustrated the efforst of Christian ministries in Utah that work hard to win Mormons for Christ. I wonder how they felt watching these supposed "Christian" leaders join hands with Mormons and give implied approval of their false gospel.

I am not surprised at this move toward the acceptance of Mormons by some evangelicals. If John Paul II and Mother Teresa, with their false gospel, can be accepted as fellow believers, why not Mormons? Why not JW’s?

[b]2Co 6:14[/b] [i]Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?[/i]

Krispy

2006/12/1 8:42

Re: Mormons, Catholics and Evangelicals... Unity??

Hi Krispy,

Are you saying that public moves towards formal dialogue with other faiths, implies the inner life of the believer is compromised?

I would say it is not (compromised), but, I agree that there is no continuum between Christianty and Mormonism (for instance).

But then, there is no continuum between biblical faith and a great deal of what goes on in today's churches.

This is not a reason NOT to be upset by any misrepresentation of Christ to the world, but in the end, each individual soul answers for him and herself directly to God - not to the world, or to us. As such, you, and I, are free to continue evangelising to a biblical faith, those who are 'of the world', regardless of what they call themselves.

2006/12/1 9:00
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

So....Could these evangelicals be compromising the true Gospel message...water it down abit...to maybe gain some new friends? YIKES...if this is true!!!!!!!!!!!! Followers of Jesus must be faithful to Him alone unto the end!!!!!!!!...Oh, spiritual adultery with false doctrine...doctrines of demons!!!!
I mean sure...it's great to have new friends...but if speaking "Christ alone saves" offends them...well, too bad. I'd rather go alone speaking the truth in Love, than giving the devil a foothold and betraying Christ! Who wants to make friends with people you can't be honest with anyway?...well, people-pleasers I guess.
God help us not to be cowards,
richie

2006/12/1 9:28Profile

During the "Evening of Friendship" Ravi Zacharias, Michael Card, Richard Mouw and Craig Hazen said absolutely nothing about Biblical salvation to these Mormons. Instead, they joined hands and made claims that they have a common faith. This was [b]NOT[/b] evangelism. Not by a long shot.

Dorcas, did you conveniently miss the quote from Michael Card that was in my post? He said he “[b]doesn't see Mormonism and evangelical Christianity as opposed to each other; they are more like the two ends of a long thread--part of the same thing.[/b]"

Card is either showing his complete ignorance of Mormon doctrine, or he is showing that he doesnt care. I think it's both... he is ignorant, and he doesnt care... which is confirmed by his next statement when he says "[i]I think it's more important to be faithful than right[/i]." Adolf Hitler was faithful to his beliefs. (Mormons will tell you that Hitler was saved and is in a lower level heaven)

Biblical Christianity and Mormonism are polar opposites. They are [b]not[/b] "two ends of a long thread". They certainly are [b]not[/b] "part of the same thing".

Based on Card's statement alone it should be obvious that evangelism was not the motive here. If it was, it was perhaps the biggest blunder in the history of evangelism.

Card said the older he gets the more he wants to integrate everything. I think the older he gets the looser his grip on reality has become. He needs to get back to the Bible.

Scripture is pretty black and white about most things, evangelism included. Dorcas, you want to make everything fuzzy and soft. Sorry... these "evangelicals" were wrong, and they have perhaps contributed to many souls staying in Mormonism, with the ultimate result being hell.

Krispy

2006/12/1 9:50
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Krispy,

I'm in total agreement with you. The problem is that today we are sacrificing truth in order to make/keep friends. Jesus clearly said He did not come to bring peace, but a sword.....though the sword He spoke of is wielded to bring life, not death, the "cutting" is painful to the flesh.

More and more I am seeing the "big" names in Christianity lose their zeal for truth and true conversions to Christ just so that they may instead appear to have a form of "unity".........which truly is not unity if they don't believe the same things about Jesus.......

2006/12/1 10:09Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

Yet again Krispy I'm in total agreement.

Three Threads out of three so far :P

I recently had a friend who was 'slated' for telling someone quite close to him that 'perhaps they wern't saved' - the most gentle ways of telling them to check themselves out before God.

This person then went to a pastor of a Pentecostal church and was told "well, the thing with (my friend) is... he's a fundamentalist..."

since when did warning people out of love of their need to repent, or being 'fundamentalist' become a negative term in the evangelical Church?

*sigh* Lord have mercy.

2006/12/1 10:35Profile

Re:

Adam... it's called "religious political correctness". We're too afraid we might offend someone.

I think I'd rather offend someone if it means that the offense might eventually lead them to the Lord. The cross is an offense.

Krispy

2006/12/1 10:48
adamdawkins

Re:

Yes - there was a guy at work I was very privellaged to talk to because he was a 'strong' atheist that had only ever met liberal Christians. The most loving thing I could ever reply to him (and did) was that if he did turn to Jesus Christ or "change his views" as he described it then, yes, he would be eternally lost in Hell.

Oh that we would fear God rather than man!

2006/12/1 11:27Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Ravi Zacharias is well known for argueing for Christ among other religions, but he is not above joining hands with athiests, muslims, hindus, buddhists, catholics and even mormons with the purpose of bringing the truth to them.
I cannot however defend the comments by Mr. Card that Mormonism is in any way 'along the same line' as Christianity -it is a cult and it is against Jesus.
But what confuses most christians is the fact that if you goto google and type in 'free bibles' the only people who are willing to send you a free bible are the moromons and heretical christian denominations. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=free+bible

2006/12/1 12:27Profile

Kripsy asked

Quote:
Dorcas, did you conveniently miss the quote from Michael Card that was in my post?

No, but I used the word 'continuum', instead of 'long thread'.

Did you read my post just a little too quickly? I agree with you don't I?

2006/12/1 12:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy