SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Great Revival or Great falling away or Both?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Great Revival or Great falling away or Both?

Someone posted this on another forum site and I thought it was a great question and very important to think about:

Quote:
Hello,

I have been thinking recently a bit about the end times. This site obviously talks a lot about revival. This is great and I want to see revival spread throughout the earth. But I have also been thinking about what the Bible calls the great falling away at the end of the age. I believe that we are closer to the end of the age than ever before. Can we have a revival and a falling away at the same time? Or will there come a time that revival will stop and the falling away will get bigger? I believe that there will definitly be a falling away but I am confused over the coming great revival that we here talked about so much. I want to believe in it. Has anyone any thoughts?

Peter Stone (Northern Ireland)

2006/11/30 16:19Profile
lovegrace

Re: Great Revival or Great falling away or Both?

I have been leaning in that idea as well.

A great falling away, the hearts of many will wax cold but the TRUE church will see a Great Power and Love of God that it's never seen before.

2006/11/30 17:36Profile

Re: The Bride's garments

My burden is to see the garments of the Bride of Christ made white for her coming Bridegroom!

"Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
[b]Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.[/b]
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches." Revelation 3:2-6

There are so many spots on her garments. There is so much dissension and backbiting in the Church of Jesus Christ. It brings shame to His Name. This is the revival that we need to see first of all, that of the true Church's love and passion for Jesus Christ. A brokenness and humility that cannot stand to have anything between her and her Bridegroom, or anything between her and her fellow brother.

When this happens individually and corporately then it will affect the world. And I do believe the Lord is doing this work, slowly, here and there. Hearts are being revived to seek their God. But we need to pray for the work to strengthen and increase. It's so easy to expect God to work as He has in the past, but "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, [b]which thou knowest not[/b]." Jeremiah 33:3

I look for His return at any moment. Are we ready and waiting? Are our garments white? Are our lamps lit? And are we exhorting those around us to be ready?

2006/11/30 19:53
Compton

Re: Great Revival or Great falling away or Both?

Quote:
Can we have a revival and a falling away at the same time?

Though this seem like a paradox, I believe it must be this way if the Lord were to pour out a Great Awakening upon our present religous landscape.

Currently our churches are holding both sincere believers and the self-deceived...and the proud scoffers. I think historically this has always been the case before revivals. (Consider the history of prayer and revival series from the Heartcry 2006 conference.)

Today churches are experimenting with everything but simply waiting upon the Holy Spirit. Business strategies, professional music, liberal social policies, bizzarre demonstrative sensationalism...each one is striving to make God relevant to modern man...when many churches themselves are hardly depending on God, in truth, for their own operations! Here is how Tozer described us fifty years ago...

Unannounced and mostly undetected there has come in modern times a new cross into popular evangelical circles. It is like the old cross, but different: the likenesses are superficial; the differences, fundamental...

The new cross does not slay the sinner, it redirects him. It gears him into a cleaner and jollier way of living and saves his self-respect. To the self-assertive it says, "Come and assert yourself for Christ." To the egotist it says, "Come and do your boasting in the Lord." To the thrill-seeker it says, "Come and enjoy the thrill of Christian fellowship." The Christian message is slanted in the direction of the current vogue in order to make it acceptable to the public.

Now if we can agree that this is the general condition of our churches, (dear saints even many of our own churches are idling away the precious hours of daylight left)...then consider what must happen if at once the Holy Spirit moved upon those few men, women, and children of prayer within our churches.

Why there would be a rupture! When revival comes to America, it will not be scheduled and supervised by most of the existing hiearchical leadership...in fact I believe many revival fires will actually begin outside of churches...beyond the Church Growth concerns with social normalcy, and out of reach from spirit-quenching fire-suppression routines.

How can revival and status quo mix?

...having a form of godliness, but denying the power of it; turn away from these.

We have renounced the shameful things that one hides; we refuse to practice cunning or to falsify God's word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to the conscience of everyone in the sight of God.

Is this being quarrelsome or divisive? If so, not by men but by the Lord. The Holy Spirit is not a doctrine that He can be discussed about and compromised with for the sake of peace. Both churched and unchurched people, educated and uneducated people who have encountered the truthful sight of God upon their hearts and deeds, will endure doctrinal and social skepticism from wiser saints, and humble themselves to recieve the gravepassing power of the Holy Spirit.

And fear came upon every soul... And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

The churches... were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.

Fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

Today we maintain civilized doctrinal discourse, practicing respect for each other's opinions, which is a fine thing...but in historical revivals it seemed that the fear of God became the greater concern. This is one reason why revival can hardly exist within the social enterprise that is today's characteristic church...

I believe that we could very well see revival come to America across different and various sized cities, towns, communities, and households...spontaneously and without human coordination...much like it did in the late 1850's. This is not a manmade movement under the title of a bestselling book. It is God...and this is what will terrify most churches. Men when shaken and moved by the utter finality of God's judgement upon their lives, will recieve the gracious gift of the Holy Spirit, and plunge themselves into the waters of prayer when He stirrs. They will have no time for technocratic religous enterprises that are conformed to the pattern of this world...they would rather sit in an open field and devote themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

To quote A.W. Tozer again: "If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference."

Well, those who would know the difference might no longer sit idle with those who do not. If the Holy Spirit should leave many churches, then many Holy Spirit filled Christians will give chase out into the streets, schools, businesses, homes, prisons, and hospitials...anywhere Jesus sees fit to move.

This exodous, this seperation of a Spirit-filled Ecclesia from status quo churchdom is why a great revival will be signified by a great apostasy.

Let's look to His coming dear saints!

MC

2006/12/1 2:13Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
To quote A.W. Tozer again: "If the Holy Spirit was withdrawn from the church today, 95 percent of what we do would go on and no one would know the difference. If the Holy spirit had been withdrawn from the New Testament church, 95 percent of what they did would stop, and everybody would know the difference."

This exodous, this seperation of a Spirit-filled Ecclesia from status quo churchdom is why a great revival will be signified by a great apostasy.

The Word of God speaks much of the condition of man---in the world and in the "church", in the last days. Paul taught that in the last days there would be a GREAT defection from Truth(apostasy). He also said that men would be covenant breakers, lovers of themselves, disobedient, having of form of godliness---yet denying the power thereof(II Tim 3-4). In these days we are also told that most will want to hear what they want to hear and will surround themselves with such teachers.

We also know that Jesus asked this most important and telling question: "when I come, will I find faith on the earth?"........

He further clued us in on what He meant by saying, "in that day MANY shall come and say, "Lord, Lord", professing themselves to be followers of Him. Yet, what does He say to them? "Depart from me you workers of Lawlessness. I never knew you." MANY are they who say "Lord, Lord", yet do not belong to Jesus. They "appear" to be following Him, yet to Him they are workers of lawlessness(iniquity). They are those who do not do the will of the Father in heaven (thy will be done on earth AS IT IS IN HEAVEN). Is what we do, think, feel, say in accordance with what is being done in heaven.......or is it in accordance with what is being done on earth----that is the test/measure.

The Angel also speaks of these days when speaking with Daniel, saying, "Many shall be purified, make white and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly; and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand" (Dan. 12:10). Paul also reaffirms this when he says, "they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned wh did not believe the truth but has pleasure in unrighteousness."

Brother Compton, the last thing you said above that I quoted is significant---very much so.

2006/12/1 12:51Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

That pricks my heart. Oh, Father, don't let what we do continue without You. Oh, Father.

2006/12/1 16:56Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
My burden is to see the garments of the Bride of Christ made white for her coming Bridegroom!

Amen. God is coming back for a "glorious church!"

"That he might present it to himself a [b]glorious church[/b], not having spot or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." -Ephesians 5:27

2006/12/1 19:05Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy