SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Whatever Happened to Repentance???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Santana

Re: Repentance Preaching.

For those of you who don't know, the actual title is "Whatever Happened to Repentance Preaching?" (not just repenting)

He even talked about a couple pastors who lead megachurches, a feel-good message, are now preaching repentance after being filled with the Holy Ghost. Now they have an audience of about a hundred.

It's a reminder to pray for prosperity teachers and not just to talk about them. (i'm the number one guilty party)

2006/12/2 10:23Profile
kdbutton

Re:

Quote:
Finney said it is impossible to please sinners. The conscience only rests when repentance has taken place to the best of the person's knowledge. What a wonderful thing! A clear conscience.

I think this is a good time to share some wisdom from a sermon by Dr. Edwin Orr. Some practical steps for us all to take on the road to repentance. He said,

"Let the circle of the sin be the circle of confession.

If you sin secretly and no one in the world knows except God…tell God!
(Proverbs 28:13)

If you sin privately and someone else is hurt by the thing or by your example put it right privately with that person as well. (Matt.5:23-24)

If you sin openly let everyone who knows about it that you have put things right."
(James 5:16)

Dr. Orr also made a point that we sin in specific ways so we need to confess in specific ways. He backs this assertion up with scripture.

When anyone is guilty in any of these ways, he must confess in what way he has sinned.
Lev. 5:5

"We sin in specific things.

Ask God to search you

And if there is specific sin, confess sincerely and put that specific thing right with Him and others also if necessary."

This is sound biblical and also practical wisdom so all of us can begin right now to repent if we are sincere about it.

When you come to the prayer closet, come clean. This is a principal of prayer for revival I believe.

Quote:
If my people which are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land. 1Chr 7:14

If you and I do this today fully we will know how to communicate it with other Christians. It begins with us.

If you and I do this today fully then our prayers will be unencumbered and the Holy Spirit more apt to move on our behalf in our prayers for revival and A great American Awakening.

2006/12/2 11:35Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
The sad thing that too often happens is that Christians present their good works before hand and then their sins follow after.

Wow...this really is a bondage in the church. I know I need more honesty and reality with God's people. We should preach an uncompromised message not because we are perfect...but because we are not and must be constantly walking in the grace and filling of the Holy Spirit to avoid calamity and ruin in our lives.

Perhaps we have made church a marketing appeal to the world rather then a fellowship for the church herself.

Whatever the case, confessing sin is terribly risky business in today's churches...surely this must change in order for us to be emptied of our own pride and vanity, and completley filled with the Holy Spirit.

Blessings,

MC

2006/12/2 11:50Profile

Re:

Quote:
If the ability to not sin wasn’t given to the Christian, the Word wouldn’t be able to say, “Resist the devil and he will flee from you.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, absolutely right, sorry - I'm used to having to fight my corner on this stuff, not on here clearly :)

On trust me, it's sad but true but there are some on here who do believe God's commandments are burdensome, that Christs yoke is heavy, that God does put more on us then we are able to bear, and that God does not provide a way of escape.

But as for me, I agree, by the grace of God we have been given the ability to obey in everything that God commands!

2006/12/2 14:35
adamdawkins

Re:

Quote:
as for me, I agree, by the grace of God we have been given the ability to obey in everything that God commands!

Amen. It is [i]totally[/i] by grace. All through the Bible we see God talking about how He was going to do this; "I will take your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh" and the verse that got me recently was when David prayed in the psalms "Create in me a clean heart, oh God"... David asked God to create the heart in him - how often do we get burdened because we pray "help me clean up my old heart" instead of accepting that we need God to create a clean heart in us...

"He who is in Christ is NEW creation"

Apologies for not providing references, little time.

Adam.

2006/12/4 10:34Profile
adamdawkins

Re:

As for the full topic in hand, "Whatever Happened to Repentance Preaching?" - it's amazing how unpopular this preaching is even in the evangelical churches today.

Oh that God would raise up people that would preach this, and that the Spirit would convict men's hearts.

2006/12/4 10:36Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

My apologies on the thread. Thanks for the correction... I would encourage you to listen to Pastor David's sermon...

May the Holy Ghost bring the conviction of sin that only He can bring. It's the kindness of God that leads toward repentance as stated in Romans 2:4.

2006/12/4 12:11Profile
roadsign

Re: What happened to confession?

There seems to be a vital ingredient missing in this thread: confession. How can anyone repent without first confessing his shortcomings? I’m not referring to a religious rite or a generalized formulated statement – but just plain honesty about the deep innermost parts of one’s being.

I fear that many fail to appreciate the long and painful process of brokenness that leads to self-awareness (confession). We prefer the hasty path towards repentance. Yet, without honesty, we will only ever attain superficial repentance at best.

Confession is the process of moving beyond the denials, discovering ourselves and agreeing with what we see – that we, indeed have chosen the wide path. Confession involves the stripping of all our cover-ups, defenses, and self-righteousness. It involves the convicting work of the Spirit.

Confession is the most difficult hurdle to overcome - even harder than repentance. Only when we can practice true confession, that is a - honesty and admission, will we move towards repentance, willingly and eagerly.

I wonder: why is there such a dearth of discussion about confession - at least in comparison to topics on repentance? Is it that we don’t see the need? Is it that we ourselves have short-circuited the path of honest confession? Are we ourselves still in denial about a lot of our own sin? (Of couse, we can't answer that honestly apart from divine revelation)

How can a preacher expect his pew-dwellers to be honest about themselves when he fails to be honest about himself?

Our spiritual leaders must set the example. They must preach from the position of weakness and neediness and not from the position of “better-than-you”. They must recognize their own fallenness, if they want their underlings to do so.
We need good role-models. After all, people, like sheep, will follow.

We all know preachers/ religious people/ parents, etc who never admit their shortcomings, and yet are quite bold in denouncing the sins of others. However, that is never very effective.

Really, no matter what sin we denounce, in some way we are guilty of the same root cause of that sin. After all, we all struggle with remnants of the old nature.

From the book: Fundimentals of Preaching by J Killinger:

"Confession permits other people to think about their failures without feeling that they are under attack. They can identify with the speaker."
Diane

2006/12/4 14:45Profile
kdbutton

Re:

Quote:
There seems to be a vital ingredient missing in this thread: confession. How can anyone repent without first confessing his shortcomings?

Roadsign you didn't scroll down far enough, look at my last entry. kdb

2006/12/4 16:22Profile
roadsign

Re: confession

Quote:
look at my last entry. kdb

Oops, thought I read all the posts.

"People who cover over their sins will not prosper.
But if they confess and forsake them,
they will receive mercy." Prov. 28:13 NLT

What can keep us from recognizing and admitting sins?
How do we know if we are covering some sins?

Diane

2006/12/4 21:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy