SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Does God Hate Divorce?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Does God hate divorce

Hi Krispy,

I appreciate your wider explanation.

But, you didn't include any scripture to support that God hates divorce. I'm serious about asking you to do this.

Also, as you know, I've studied this for a good many years on and off, so I have to say I thought Don's fine tuning on the matter of 'putting away', was excellent, and I have no idea how you can disagree with it. Just exactly what do you disagree with here?

Lastly, you said

Quote:
My God has never broken a covenant.

What is going on then, in the following scripture? (I realise it may be prophetic, although I have no reason to believe it was not enacted that day, as Zechariah said. This word of God has to be taken in context with the rest of His word, does it not?)

Zec 11
7 And I will feed the flock of slaughter, [even] you, O poor of the flock. And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock.

{even...: or, verily the poor} {Bands: or, Binders}

8 Three shepherds also I cut off in one month; and my soul lothed them, and their soul also abhorred me.

{lothed...: Heb. was straightened for them}

9 Then said I, I will not feed you: that that dieth, let it die; and that that is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let the rest eat every one the flesh of another.

{another: Heb. his fellow, or, neighbour}

10 [b]And I took my staff, [even] Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the people[/b].

11 [b]And it was broken in that day[/b]: and [u]so the poor of the flock that waited upon me knew that it [was] the word of the LORD[/u].

{so...: or, the poor of the flock, etc. certainly knew}

2006/11/29 11:30
JesusIsMyLrd

Iowa, USA

Re:

Hello Everyone!

This is something that i have researched, and have come to understand that, in Jesus' words, "For the hardness of your hearts, Moses wrote it" (A letter of divorce).

He also said "What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder".

Also, early Church taught that Divorce and remarriage is wrong.

We can look and say, "Oh but this hebrew word means this" or "This greek word means this", but the fact of it is that Jesus CLEARLY said what He said!!!

Now, we see that Paul said that if an unbelieving spouse leaves, then that is acceptable. But he never said that the believer should leave. (See 1 Corinthians 7)

Now, how would you explain away the clear teachings of Jesus? Are there scriptures that say divorce is right??? that you should do it? None that i have read. God's whole purpose for a family is to bring glory to Him! So, "What knowest thou, o wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband?..." (1 Cor. 7:16a)

Do you suppose that God could use a terrible marriage situation for His Glory? How big is God to you??? Really, do you truly trust Him fully? Is He not powerful enough to save to the uttermost, them that come to Him through Christ?

My parents came close to having a divorce, but because of their trust in the Lord, we have a beautiful family now. Divorce is simply another way satan is using to steal glory from God. God can heal marriages. He can transform lives. Therefore, divorce has no place.

Now, i do want to balance this. If there is hard persecution, there is no place where the Bible says not to flee. If the wife is under persecution, i would feel she could leave.

Thanks. May God be glorified.

serving Jesus for Jesus through Jesus because of Jesus,
nathan grice

2006/11/29 13:56Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re: Does God Hate Divorce?

I'm certain God hates divorce...it's the result of sin and God hates sin.
yet...It is clear that Jesus gave us permission to divorce in the case of fornication or adultry.
even is such cases, however, i believe God would rather us reconcile, forgive and move forward...but that requires the participation of both parties involved. that's why Jesus said, "Moses wrote you a bill of divorcement becuse of the hardness of you'r hearts." if one person won't recieve or offer forgiveness and instead, from a bitter heart of unforgiveness, insists on divorce on the grounds of adultry....then divorce is allowed and where divorce is granted re-marriage falls under the same scrutiny and is to be allowed as well......I believe that is what Jesus taught in both Matthew chqpters 5 and 19.

2006/11/29 14:49Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

Quote:
He and they did not.

Indeed he did.

In Mt 7 Jesus says if a man divorces his wife except for fornication he causes her to become an adulterer. Adultery is sin no doubt.

2006/11/29 15:52Profile

Re:

NLONG... You're absolutely right.

But then folks come along and claim that the word divorce is not translated correctly. So then the question comes in... what greek are we looking at? And if this is true, since there is a new modern version coming out at the current rate of one every six months, why hasnt one picked up on this and changed the rendering?

It's people who are making this teaching difficult to understand, not God. I think the Bible is very clear, and what Jesus said makes perfect sense. One man, one woman, for life until one of them dies. There are two situations in which remarriage after divorce is ok, and that is if the divorce is because of adultry or if an unbeliever leaves a believer.

Jesus did not forbid divorce. But if one divorces for any other reason than the two I listed above, remarriage is not an option.

Personally I dont think any man who has been divorced for any reason can be an elder... thats my conviction. But I extend grace to those who would disagree and believe certain situations would not render someone inelligible. I tend to lean a little conservative in that because I believe Paul was insisting on purity in eldership. He even explains why when he spoke of how an elder/pastor should conduct his family.

And a woman can not be an elder/pastor of a local church, nor does scripture allow women to teach or usurp authority over a man within the Body of Christ.

Thats not sexist, it's just God's order.

Krispy

2006/11/29 16:43
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

Quote:

searchin wrote:
It is clear that Jesus gave us permission to divorce in the case of fornication or adultry.

......I believe that is what Jesus taught in both Matthew chqpters 5 and 19.

Hmm in my bible it says in the case of fornication only, could one of the greek scholars out there please clarify this as some bibles, quoted in other posts, use the term sexual immorality, which covers a lot of stuff.

In my mind Fornication is sex before marriage and the implication is that the marriage was entered into on the false understanding that both partners were virgins, making the vows void perhaps, but adultary is sex where one or both persons are married, but as the vows say till death us do part, not 'till adultary do us part' then the implication is that we must forgive rather than divorce.

I try not to get into debates on divorce, I know a lot of good Christians that are remarried, I myself like to believe that I will never get divorced under any circumstances, but I wouldn't impose my views on others. I am trying here to clarify the text as it seems to me the more modern translations allow more reasons for divorce than perhaps they should.

As for Don Francisco's article, I tend to disagree because the logical conclusion is that we can get married many times, each time making some excuse, and as long as it's a legal divorce then we have God's blessing. I think that God allows divorce but the people involved miss out on His wonderful plan for their life, had they stayed married. Though I wouldn't like to say that God can no longer use them or actually rejects them in some way.

Whan Dave Wilkerson came to a difficult decision (nothing to do with divorce), God told him that if he chose the harder path then God could bless him more, if not then he would still have God's blessing bur to some lesser extent, I think divorce is not God's plan A for anyone.

2006/11/29 16:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
Hmm in my bible it says in the case of fornication only, could one of the greek scholars out there please clarify this as some bibles, quoted in other posts, use the term sexual immorality, which covers a lot of stuff.

Yea... well, then we get into the whole Bible version debate... so many Bibles... so much confusion. Wait! God is not the author of confusion, is He!?

Krispy

2006/11/29 16:54
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

Re:

I edited this post myself. I appologise. It was innappropriate

2006/11/29 17:22Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

Very easy answer to both questions

Does God hate divorce?

====
EDIT by Moderator
====

Is a bear Catholic?

Does God enjoy divorce?

Is there really a question here?? :-)

2006/11/29 17:30Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

After posting my last comment, I searched the word 'fornication' and found a thread more than 40 pages long here... https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1923&forum=36&start=40&viewmode=flat&order=0

I started to read it and decided that I'd better keep out of the whole divorce remarriage thing, I pray it doesn't happen to me, and to those who are divorced / remarried, all I can say is to talk to God about it and not worry about what people say.

2006/11/29 17:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy