Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Errors in Street Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

Errors in Street Preaching

I've observed many street preachers in New York City where I'm from. I also read the websites and look at forums where street preachers discuss what true evangelism is. I see a problem with many of their approaches that are a stark contrast to that of the book of Acts.

One of the great needs today is what a teacher of mine has called "theology on fire" or "biblical scholarship aflame". We need to understand the context of our Word rather than pick and choose what we like and dislike. For example, just because John the Baptist told the Pharisees "who warned you to flee the wrath to come?" and called them "vipers" doesn't mean that we are to find a street corner and say the exact same thing.

We must be as the Bereans and search our Scriptures daily. We must study to show thyself approved...

Each message preached was to a particular group of people. For example, Peter on Pentecost was talking to devout Jews. They knew the law, the prophets and the psalms. So Peter preached Christ to them from their very Scriptures. What was key is He preached the Person of Jesus. He didn't just say repent the whole time because you might go to hell if you don't. No he preached the majesty of Jesus - his life, his sinless atonement, and his resurrection.

Paul in Athens was talking to philosophers who never even heard of Jesus. So Paul drew from what they knew about religion, and preached God to them from creation to the judgment.

In other words, these men became all things to all people to win them.

Acts tells us they preached Christ. They proclaimed Jesus as the CHrist. Sure they mave have spoken from the law and said repent, and talked of the wrath - but the message was GOD HIMSELF. Jesus was the message. Not just repent. Not just your a sinner. The Man Christ Jesus was the message

2006/11/22 11:25Profile
daniel-

Germany

Re: Errors in Street Preaching

Amen

2006/11/22 12:17Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Hi Mattie,

Quote:
Acts tells us they preached Christ. They proclaimed Jesus as the CHrist. Sure they mave have spoken from the law and said repent, and talked of the wrath - but the message was GOD HIMSELF. Jesus was the message. Not just repent. Not just your a sinner. The Man Christ Jesus was the message

Certainly every situation is different. This requires that we be utterly in tune to the Holy Spirit and sensitive to where the people are in thier understanding. In our area there are lots of people on the streets that have heard the Gospel many many times. Occasionally we run into folk who have never really heard the Gospel, but not often. I have found that these Gospel hardened (as it were) folk need to be brought to the point of controversy that they have with God. What is it that God is dealing with YOU about? What is He putting His finger on? Etc.

Other times I have found that folk who have 'heard' the Gospel have never had it rightly explained to them. It may take 2 hours to present the Gospel to a group. One thing that concerns me is how too often we try to short cut and get to the point and in so doing make a lot of assumptions that are wrong. We 'assume' they know what we mean when we say 'repent' or 'grace' or 'salvation.' We have to be ready to be there on a most basic level. And as you said, we have to exalt Christ! The folk have to meet Christ by revelation in the message. this is not an intellectual exercise, it is a personal encounter with God.

2006/11/22 12:18Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

point well made...and i believe with a true heart as well.
Jesus made use of his surroundings and circumstances when preaching and teaching. consider the woman at the well in John chapter 4.
and with his parables consider his words. "...these mountains..." "...this fig tree..."
no matter where you are if it's a street corner, the church house, on the job etc...etc... people all have different needs, and they are going thru different circumstances but they all have the same answer...Jesus Christ and the Gospel...that is the power of God to save everyone.
only God knows what will touch the hearts of those we minister to. that's why he gave us the Holy Ghost. "We shall recieve power after that the Holy Ghost is come upon us." as we spend time, valuable, quality tim with God in prayer we can be lead by the spirit to speak the truth in love and that will make our preaching effective! not just preaching dry facts...about God but being a life (and preacher) that God can use to express his life through to the world!

2006/11/22 12:58Profile
dohzman

Re:

BINGO!!!!! Robert wrote: We 'assume' they know what we mean when we say 'repent' or 'grace' or 'salvation.' We have to be ready to be there on a most basic level

I gave a sermon in the church somewhat like I did years before on the streets called terms, this was a dictionary type reading of what specific terms and words were and what they meant followed by biblical passages and examples.
I believe most people haven't the faintest idea what in the world we are saying, and that not only on the streets but also in most churches. Ours is a bible illiterate society in and outside of the church. That's why straight hell fire preaching does little to effect the hearer, it doesn't engage thier mind, just thier emotions, and since it doesn't engage the mind or reason they have no where to go in the practical expression of faith, a recieving of the word mixed with faith- no chance for a quickening. That's why I keep saying we need to preach/teach from the streets sound doctrine---the whole counsil of God's Word.

2006/11/22 16:37Profile

Re:

Yes we must preach repentance, hell, judgment, etc etc. But we must preach Jesus Christ. And we must preach with a heart of love. Preaching the disease without the cure is just stupid.

A great need that I see today is for open air preachers to be able to "reason" and "persuade" when they "dispute" with sinners, as Paul would do in the market places.

We are not to just scream and yell and shout. Though we must raise our voices. But we must also be able to deeply challenge the thoughts and the actions of the unbelieving world.

2006/11/22 17:01
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi everyone.

Mattie,

Quote:
One of the great needs today is what a teacher of mine has called "theology on fire" or "biblical scholarship aflame". We need to understand the context of our Word...

This is a fine point :-)

Brother Robert,

Quote:
Other times I have found that folk who have 'heard' the Gospel have never had it rightly explained to them....We 'assume' they know what we mean when we say 'repent' or 'grace' or 'salvation.' We have to be ready to be there on a most basic level.

There is a verse of scripture which I have thought about in regards to the problems that you mentioned,

[b][color=000000] For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the Lord of hosts[/color][/b]

Brother, as I've thought about this from time to time, I wonder if God may not be at work in this very thing. Even though the Way of The Master, as it's called, is rote, a method, scripted, I have a suspicion that if in the secret counsel of God, He is indeed intending to turn us back once more, I suspect that the abundance of laborers using this [i]method[/i] of propogating the knowledge of the Law of the Lord will be significant in bringing us along the way, especially for His grace and the coming of the Word in power.

Some other verses...

[b][color=000000] Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me:[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000]John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000] ...Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.[/color][/b](would note here the mention of [i]every city[/i])

Some thoughts anyway.

2006/11/22 19:12Profile
dohzman

Re:

Good to hear from ya bro! Seems lately that you've been silent?--maybe just busy, been praying for ya that the Lord would add His wisdom to your godly zeal. :-)

2006/11/22 20:00Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

i've heard preachers who seemed to rejoice in that while they railed against sin and peoples unfaithfullnes and were persecuted for there harsh rebukes said, they were being persecuted for preaching against sin...like the apostles in the book of Acts!
while they did preach against sin and that is a necessity in the ministry....the truth is that the early church suffered for preaching Jesus.
if you are not preaching Jesus you are not preaching the Gospel. no matter what sin you denounce (which is good) you, afterwards must point the listener to the only one who can save us from that sin and that is Jesus!

2006/11/22 20:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy