SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone familiar with the Hebrew or Messianic movement?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
My big question is if the Sabbath is to be kept, should one not keep the entire thing, which includes no work, limited travel, feasts and etc? If the Law is to be lived then the rest seems mandatory to me. Maybe I'm short sighted, too black and white or something?

For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor [u]to do the whole law.[/u] (Galatians 5:3)

2006/11/27 13:10Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

Quote:
My big question is if the Sabbath is to be kept, should one not keep the entire thing, which includes no work, limited travel, feasts and etc? If the Law is to be lived then the rest seems mandatory to me. Maybe I'm short sighted, too black and white or something?

It would include no work... the other resrictions that the Jews made up were man-made. It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.

Matthew 24:19-21
19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

2006/11/27 14:26Profile

Re:

Quote:
Much of our Sunday religious activity is actually an expression of rebellion against God’s Sabbath rest.

I've been saying this forever... but not as well as Diane did. I agree w/what Diane had to say.

I'll add that there is a principle of resting here too... simple, physical resting. We can not work 7 days a week and maintain a healthy body. This is proven.

This is one reason me and my family left the traditional church and got into house churching. In the traditional church you are looked down on and considered to not be a serious believer if you dont make it Sunday School at 10am, stay for the 11am service, go to Shoney's for lunch and be back at the church for the 5pm choir practice, and then 6pm service.

Where is the rest?? You roll the kids out of the sack and fight with them trying to get them dressed for church, then they go out and get in the mud and you have to change them again... you make it thru church... then you're either at Shoney's until 2:30, or you go home and eat and then you might get 45 minutes for a quick snooze on the couch before you have to get ready for 5pm choir practice... and of course, you cut your little one's nap short, which puts him/her in a rotten mood.... and then you get home from evening service around 8:30... long enough to get the kids ready for bed.

Sometimes it's the most hectic day of the week. Where is the sabbath rest?

So we dropped out. We were told we were backsliding because of it. We werent! We simply saw where God shows a principle in the Bible that man needs adaquate amounts of rest. It's not about being legalistic about the Sabbath. It's about recognizing that there is a purpose for rest, and the church at large is ignoring it... and even looking down on people who choose not to ignore it. Calling us lazy or not "the core members".

I just choose not to play the "traditions of man" games.

So we have church in homes. We have a wonderful time of worship on Sunday mornings at different peoples homes. A time of singing, teaching, sharing, praying... then a dinner. Keeping things simple. No evening meetings. Keeping it laid back as possible. I usually teach in jeans and a football jersey.

Dont get caught up in the game, people!

Krispy

2006/11/27 14:46
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

For that matter much of what is done in church is not done in scripture. Down with the traditions of man and up with the way of life!

:-)

2006/11/29 12:33Profile

Re:

There is some great books written by Frank Viola that tackle that whole issue. Fascinating stuff showing how most of what we do as believers traditionally has pagan roots. Some of it is left overs from when the Reformers abandoned the RCC, yet held on to many of the RCC's traditions... others came in later.

The books are:

Pagan Christianity

Rethinking The Wineskin

Who is Your Covering?

From Nazareth to Patmos

Rethinking The Will of God: A New Look at an Old Subject

The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament

You can get these books at this link:

http://www.ptmin.org/books.htm

Krispy

2006/11/29 13:19
roadsign

Re: rest???

Krispy, I agree with you. Sundays can become a flurry of activities, with little pursuit of the rest that Christ offers.

That's a great list of books on House Churches. I had hoped to go in that direction some years ago - but alas, God called me back into a church. Now Sunday is a work day for me - but not a different kind of work than before.

Something to consider:
The OT Sabbath Rest was a picture of a spiriutal rest?
What is the Spiritual rest that Christ came to give us?
What did he actually do for us on the cross - as it relates to rest?

How might we fail to rest in Christ's finished work on the cross?
What symptoms may reveal that we have not entered Christ's rest?

2006/11/29 22:35Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy