SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : when God ran!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
searchin

u.s.a. /

when God ran!

my son(8 years old)was recently reading to me, and my daughter(12),and we were going through the story of the prodigal son. when he read the passage..."the father ran to meet him." he said, "Dad, the sunday school teacher said that was the only time in the Bible where God ran."

Wow! what a thought...Paul talked about running a race to obtain the prize. God does not run such a race becuse he, himself, is the prize

Politicians run a race to be elected. God does not run such a race. He does not need or seek the approval of man. he is the King of Kings and Lord Of Lords. The only true Potentate. (1-Timothy 6:15)

God certainly has never ran from the battle...he has and will never retreat from the enemy. The Lord is strong and mighty in battle.

What made God run? A son returning to the Father's house. A humble heart of repentance.
there is great joy in heaven when one of his lost sheep returns home and repents.

God Bless

2006/11/21 12:58Profile
figtreelives

Re: when God ran!

Quote:

Wow! what a thought...Paul talked about running a race to obtain the prize. God does not run such a race becuse he, himself, is the prize

We run the race because he is OUR prize, God is our exceeding reward. When all is said and done if all we are interested in is our inheritance as this prodigal son, then brothers and sisters we have missed it all together. There is no inheritance without God, God-Center.

2006/11/21 14:00Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

jesus was only interested in his inheritance.
Jesus is my inheritance
its not like im sitting and waiting for my God to die so i can have his estate.
"I press toward the mark of the high calling of god in christ jesus." The calling i press toward is the marriage supper of the lamb. Thats where i am being called. I see no fault in living my life here only for what i get in heaven. This lifestyle shows faith in God and a desire for what is truly good.

"Looking unto jesus, the author and finisher of our faith; who, for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and is now set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

the bible seems to tell me to covet my inheritance.

Good word on God's heart towards repentance

2006/11/21 16:47Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

MattChenier wrote:
jesus was only interested in his inheritance.
Jesus is my inheritance...

...and that inheritance is Himself. :-)

2006/11/21 18:39Profile
Tears_of_joy

God bless you dear brother, for sharing this.

2007/4/16 12:36Profile
roadsign

Re: God running? How undignified!

Quote:
"the father ran to meet him."

Today we think nothing of a father running to greet his returning son. But in Jesus' day elderly Jewish men were considered much too dignified to run. Essentially Jesus was pointing out that God is even willing to “ditch his dignity” in order to run to meet us.

The impact of Jesus' statement is best grasped if we consider it's effect on the hearers of his day.

Diane

2007/4/16 13:29Profile

Re:

wonderful... thank you for sharing this.

In Christ - Jim

2007/4/16 13:41
rowdy2

Southern USA

Thank God too for the witness of Sunday school teachers and little children.

Matthew 21: 15-16
And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased, and said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

Eddie

2007/4/16 14:09Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Actually, this is not the only time a "god" ran in the Bible

The Greek verb from which "ran" was translated in the story of the Prodigal is [i]trecho[/i]. The same "trecho" verb is used when the Gadarene Demoniac [i]ran[/i] to Jesus "when he saw him from afar off" (Mark 5:6). Compare this to Luke 15:20: "...but when he (the prodigal son) [i]was yet a great way off[/i], his father saw him...and ran..."

From "afar off" seems to be the common denominator in both cases.

Satan is called the "god" of this world (II Cor. 4:4), and here we have this "god" [i]running[/i] to worship Incarnate Supreme Deity in Mark 5. I find it interesting that a different verb was used for "running" when dealing with the possesed swine stampeding off the cliff - [i]hormao.[/i] The demon-possesed swine ran to death; the demon-possessed man ran to Life. It seems the Presence of God frequently elicits running.

But when God runs to a repentant man...this is the wonder of wonders. Surely, the prodigal son was forgiven the moment he sincerely determined in his heart: Though I have sinned and am unworthy of even the smallest honor ever again, yet will I return home...

Oh, the blessedness of God. Holy and compassionate! What standards for us to emulate! And to spend the rest of our lives emulating by virtue of an In-Dwelling profusion! Every attribute of God is unsearchable in its eternal splendor.

Brother Paul

2007/4/16 15:21Profile
roadsign

Re: The devil runs to God? I don't think so.

The parable of the lost coin and the lost sheep also portray God as one who goes after the lost sinner. In fact, I bet that you could let the Bible fall open just about anywhere, and soon discover God’s relentless love towards mankind. In that sense, he is always on the move…. always running towards man.

Quote:
Satan is called the "god" of this world (II Cor. 4:4), and here we have this "god" running to worship Incarnate Diety in Mark 5.

Paul, I don’t believe the devil ever runs after God. The demoniac yearned for deliverance, and that’s why he ran towards Jesus.

By the way, there is no reason to assume that the “god” of the world is the devil. This is the word “theos” - the exact same word used for “God”. To translate it like this: “God of this world… “ would be most congruous with other Scriptures. After all, it is God who has blinded, stopped the ears, dulled the minds. Etc See Romans 1… Isaiah 5, etc That is divine judgment.
(also another topic)

Clearly sometimes God does NOT run after man, but erects barriers, he puts thornbushes in his paths. Why? Maybe so that the hardened sinner has no where else to turn. He has the opportunity to face the fact that there is no hope apart from God's mercy.

And God is waiting .... ready to run....

Diane

2007/4/16 16:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy