Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Be Thankful

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Be Thankful

[i]"Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice."[/i] Philippians 4:4

We are told to rejoice always. The Bible even says to give thanks in all things. But, sometimes, we don't feel like giving thanks. Maybe because of bitterness or some other sin, or maybe because we feel that we have nothing to give thanks for. In times of grief, sorrow, discomfort, or need, it can be hard to rejoice in the Lord. Think about David though. He had sinned with Bathsheba, and she was about to give birth to the son that was the fruit of their affair. When the baby was born, he was born sick. Here's the story in 2 Samuel 12:15-18.

[i]"And Nathan departed unto his house. And the LORD struck the child that Uriah’s wife bare unto David, and it was very sick. David therefore besought God for the child; and David fasted, and went in, and lay all night upon the earth. And the elders of his house arose, and went to him, to raise him up from the earth: but he would not, neither did he eat bread with them. And it came to pass on the seventh day, that the child died. And the servants of David feared to tell him that the child was dead: for they said, Behold, while the child was yet alive, we spake unto him, and he would not hearken unto our voice: how will he then vex himself, if we tell him that the child is dead?" [/i]

David fasted, prayed, and "lay all night upon the earth", yet the baby still died. David seemingly had nothing to be thankful for, and the elders of his house were sure that since he was in such a pitiful state when the child was sick, how much more so when he found out that the baby died? Let's read wether they were right.

[i]"But when David saw that his servants whispered, David perceived that the child was dead: therefore David said unto his servants, Is the child dead? And they said, He is dead. Then David arose from the earth, and washed, and anointed himself, and changed his apparel, and came into the house of the LORD, and worshipped: then he came to his own house; and when he required, they set bread before him, and he did eat."[/i] vs. 19, 20

What? He worshipped? AFTER he found out about the child's death? Wow. Then he ate. That strikes me. Only a man after God's own heart could be like that, to seek the Lord during adversity, to worship the Lord when things take a turn for the worse. Why was David this way? Verses 21-23.

[i]"Then said his servants unto him, What thing is this that thou hast done? thou didst fast and weep for the child, while it was alive; but when the child was dead, thou didst rise and eat bread. And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell whether GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live? But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me."[/i]

What a way to think. What God has done is done. There is nothing that can be done about it, so why even try? All that we can do is worship the Lord like David. So, even when it seems that there is NOTHING in life to be thankful for, I know of six precious truths that we should give thanks to God for every day.

[b]1. The Father sent the Son to be the Savior of the world[/b]

[i]"We have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world."[/i] 1 John 4:14

[b]2. The Lord Jesus died for our sins[/b]

[i]"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."[/i] Galatians 2:20

[b]3. He sent His Holy Spirit[/b]

[i]"That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise."[/i] Ephesians 1:12, 13

[b]4. His power to do all things[/b]

[i]"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us."[/i] Ephesians 3:20

[b]5. The promise and hope of His return[/b]

[i]"For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words."[/i] 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18

[b]6. His Word[/b]

[i]"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."[/i] Psalm 119:105

2006/11/20 1:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy