SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Evangelizing is essential

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

I have found with evangelism that it is a long and difficult road.

when I first got called to go out on the streets I had a tremendous fear but I recognised that I had to do it, I still fear and don't look forward to going out.

God told me one time, though, that the reason He sent me out was for me, not for the town, I know they need the Gospel, they do get it from me and others, but I get more out of it than them.

You see to go out and preach, you have to be in a right relationship, that means prayer, fasting and bible study, I spoke to one lad who knew his bible better than i did and he wasn't saved! It also makes you sort your life out. While I'm preaching I often see a neighbour or a parent from school, or a work coleague. This means that I can't just stop preaching and return to 'normal' life I have to be seen as a Christian when I'm mowing the lawn or taking my kids to school or listening to a dirty joke at work.

Yes it's a long hard road because as you start to tell others about Christ, you find yourself asking questions like 'why do I believe that, is it scriptural?'.

I offered a tract to a lady a couple of weeks ago and she declined because it was about God, I asked why and she told me her children had died when she had prayed for them to live, I told her as gently as I could that God wasn't a genie who had to do everything we asked Him to, she told me they had done nothing wrong and as I prayed for an answer to give her, she turned and walked away. Yes now that I have had time to think I could have given her a better answer but in reality it showed me I was not as close to God as I should have been. If I am to interact with real, needy and hurting people, like Jesus hung around with, I must get closer to God. Pray even more, read and study more. Go out more to find where else I am lacking.

I don't beat myself up over the incident, I learn and move on, and pray for her too.

Evangelism I am convinced is at least 50% about gettting us closer to God, getting the Gospel out is a bonus.

By the way, there are some who say we should let the Spirit guide us as to what to say, I agree but that's not an excuise to not study how Jesus and the apostles in Acts did things. I find more so that the Spirit brings to mind things that we have read, or heard, at the right moment.

2006/11/20 18:35Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re: Like I said

Jeremiah 20:9
Then I said, “I will not make mention of Him, Nor speak anymore in His name.” But His word was in my heart like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; I was weary of holding it back, And I could not.

Luke 24
"46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things. 49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”"

Mark 1:17
"Then Jesus said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.”"

Matthew 28:18-20
"18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen."

Acts 1:8
"But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”"

2 Timothy 3:12
"Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution." (You don't get persecuted by keeping your mouth shut, sitting in a room and studying greek.)

This is why I started this post. People are ignorant of our calling to preach the gospel. This is the scriptures and doctrine section. True believers submit to God's word.

Fear is not enough to shut up a believer.

I think that a lack of love or burden for the lost will manifest itself in a lack of evangelism. Even if its a new believer... they should be in the process of seeking to be trained properly to evengelize. Also, they should at least be talking to somebody with something... AT LEAST a tract or something. If a Christian doesn't know how to present the gospel what makes them think they understand it themselves. If they don't know how to word the gospel then they should be seeking how, but if they don't understand the gospel at all then they are lost themselves.

Quote:
At one time, I was taught that women aren't allowed to be preachers

By the way, they're not.

1 Corinthians 14:34
Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.

1 Corinthians 14:35
And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church.

1 Timothy 2:11-15
11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

2006/11/21 8:34Profile
Munchkin

London, Ingerrrland

Re: Evangelism

Do you think our understanding of the bible is something intellectual? God *gives* us the knowledge. Biblical scholars can study it for their entire lives and never come to the faith if their understanding of it isn't from God.

If they then proceed to give people their own arbitrary interpretations, they're essentially sending people to hell. Look at the thread about Catholicism - they're not saved, because they have so fundamentally misunderstood the gospel.

No-one should be telling people about Christianity until God has told them what to say; whether it's to their closest or to strangers on the street.

Do you think our words are as true as those of the Holy Spirit?

If people are afraid, we have no right to judge them for that. We can only pray God showers them with His grace and courage. When He deems it their time, they'll start to evangelise. But Christianity has a gestation period - time where someone develops their *own* relationship with Christ, and until they are with Jesus, they won't have the courage, spiritual strength or love to tell people the way things really are.

There are different forms of evangelism. Someone doing it openly in the streets isn't a better Christian than someone who evangelises amongst smaller groups, they're just called to evangelise in a different way. But however someone is called, "God keeps His promise, and He will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, He will give you the strength to endure it..." (Cor 10:13)

The strength comes from God. He doesn't want people facing persecution before they are ready. If someone's faith is too new, too "shallow", being mocked or attacked by people in the streets coulod easily make thm run a mile; if their faith is firmly planted, if it's developed and strengthened, nothing can make them turn away from Christ.

That strengthening takes time and grace. It takes time for us to open ourselves up to the point where we can hear God talk to us. If people think their faith is developed instantly, that's a judgement they themswelves are making, which is both arrogant and unlikely.

And we certainly shouldn't be pressuring people to evangelise before God tells them it's His will for them to do so.

2006/11/21 10:09Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

GraceAlone,

I wasn't arguing. I agree mostly with what you are saying. I completely understand that it is perhaps the main duty of a Christian to witness or preach the gospel. All I was trying to convey was the reasons people don't get out. Of which, I do not believe that all would qualify someone as lost. Shaky ground, yes. Even women have a ministry, though like you said, the bible clearly instructs that they are not to be in a teaching or preaching role. And like Jesus said to most of the seven churches.....REPENT! If we are not doing what Jesus commands, he teaches that we really don't love Him. We need to repent of the depths which we have fallen to.

Allhavesinned,

Great insight! The preacher does get alot out of the preaching himself. So many times, something will come out of my mouth and I think, "Lord, that was for ME!" It really makes me walk in reverence and fear, to pray, fast, and get in my word more when I am out. And no, this is not so we will be a gnostic or something [Munchkin ;-)]. We are supposed to study to show ourselves approved! Also, the word as a mirror lets us continually see our sin, unworthiness and total dependence on God. But reading the bible also helps us to "cast down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God" why because "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds" 2 Cor 10:4-6. What are the weapons we have? The Word and prayer. And certainly the Spirit of God. I don't know how many times I've studied the night before preaching only to find out that what I was studying was absolutely what I needed that day.

2006/11/21 15:58Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

I think the problem here is a misunderstanding of what I said.

Quote:
And we certainly shouldn't be pressuring people to evangelise before God tells them it's His will for them to do so.

Well, it is God's will for Christians to evangelize. As a matter of fact...Christians evangelize. I don't mean that a new believer needs to run the streets in a rage. I'm saying that the new believer is going to desire to see others come to faith! Therefore, because of his desire he will seek to help others as best he can. At least his family, coworkers, and friends shoud get the gospel as soon as the christian is prepared.

Quote:
Do you think our understanding of the bible is something intellectual? God *gives* us the knowledge. Biblical scholars can study it for their entire lives and never come to the faith if their understanding of it isn't from God.

I agree that salvation is unatainable by human efforts to understand the gospel. Even those who understand the gospel CAN BE lost in the ground. Still, if somebody doesn't hear the gospel they cannot be saved.

Romans 10:14-15
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent?

Quote:
All I was trying to convey was the reasons people don't get out. Of which, I do not believe that all would qualify someone as lost. Shaky ground, yes.

Well, if somebody does not even try to evangelize (or learn how) I really doubt thier salvation.

2006/11/21 16:14Profile
SherylAnne

Louisiana

Re:

Quote:
You see to go out and preach, you have to be in a right relationship, that means prayer, fasting and bible study

I witnessed to a man sitting next to me on a plane, for the whole 3 hours! What was so amazing was that I had nothing to do with the circumstances: My plane was late, so I missed my connecting flight, the next flight was cancelled and I had a 3 hour layover and the airline upgraded me to first class without my even asking (actually, I was having a lovely time and didn't even care about the delay), then this businessman sat next to me and started chatting with me and he brought the conversation around to children and asked if I had any. I explained that I was going to visit my grown son and his family and at home I had two small boys keeping their daddy busy. When he commented on the difference in ages I explained that my young sons were adopted, that my husband and I were foster parents. Then he asked, "what led you into that?" and I simply told him, "God." He was taken aback a little and confessed to me that he was an atheist. Then he confided that he noticed that that there was something different about me; that I seemed very content and peaceful and assured him that I had not always been like that, that my peace comes from my faith in Jesus Christ and I was able to give him the Good News [i]as he prompted me with the right questions[/i]! Later, I found out there was a man behind me praying for me and I did notice a man sitting a couple of rows up who was very agitated about the whole thing. There wasn't any movie or anything and my neighbor's voice carried all over first class so they all were hearing about Jesus! :-D

My point is, I at that time I hadn't been trained to preach the Good News and I wasn't even thinking about witnessing to anyone, God just did it! This was a divine appointment God made with this man. It had nothing to do with me, [u]everything[/u] to do with GOD!

I think he warmed up to me so quickly and noticed that 'difference' because I had been spending time in prayer, fasting, and the Word. It's like Jesus said in Mark 1:17, “Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.” I think this is the key, because I have tried to orchestrate similar circumstances, and it just doesn't happen. I can tell you that I haven't been called to be a 'street preacher' but I have led others to Christ and I have been leading Gospel Clubs in the public schools and we have seen salvations. Hallelujah! But if I'm not putting in the time in prayer and meditating on His Word, I'm not a prepared vessel He can use. I have to keep reminding myself of this...because being a Mom is 24/7 and I find myself getting entangled unawares in all the daily stuff and missing out with my Father!

2006/11/21 18:10Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

We witnessed to one of the workers at work today!! HIs name his spencer we told him that he was going to hell if he did not believe in Jesus , I wish that he would understand!! I do love him alot and wish that he would come to know Christ even thou he is very Anti christ because of his parents

Quote:
You see to go out and preach, you have to be in a right relationship, that means prayer, fasting and bible study

I do think this is important thou because how on earth are you going to withness if you do not know the bible yourself!!

Jesus does do it at unexpected times!! He has done it with me!!

2006/11/21 18:26Profile
NLONG

Middlebury, Indiana

Re:

GraceAlone,

I'm with you now. Yes, if people don't have a burden for others to know Christ then its doubtful they have met him.

SherylAnne,

Great testimony. God is good. It's amazing what God can do when we aren't involved in the details.

2006/11/22 10:40Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

Its just soooo sad to see that there are sooo many people who call themselves Christians and they themselves are LOST.

1 Corinthians 9:16
For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!

2006/11/24 0:13Profile
GraceAlone

Orlando, Florida

Re:

I was wondering what people on this website forum have at thier church for evangelism! If there is any... and what kind... and how...

Anybody?

2006/11/26 18:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy