SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Washed or Covered

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Washed or Covered

Just a little nugget! I asked God how our sins could be washed and covered at the same time. I felt he told me that our past sins are washed away but the sins we have present in our lives are covered. The past is gone forever, but based on 1 John 1:8 nobody is perfect yet so we walk under a covering of Grace :) simple but most people never think of it. Yes I do emphasize "works worthy of repentance!"

2006/11/17 7:28Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Washed or Covered

How about 1 John 1:9 implying that sinful [b]behaviour[/b] (ie, sin) being [b]covered[/b] (ie, forgiven), while sinful [b]tendancy[/b] (ie, unrighteousness) being [b]cleansed[/b]?

Seems alot simpler, and requires a plain reading of Scripture to believe, and has a straight forward means to receive (ie, bold faced acknowledgemant of sin).

Also, ironic that it is found one verse after the verse that you quoted. :-)

2006/11/17 10:33Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

I asked God how our sins could be washed and covered at the same time

In all humility, I don't believe you heard from God on this. For your question implies that there is a real and actual difference between being "washed" and "covered." The fact of the matter is that these terms are simply different metaphors used to describe the exact same thing-- that is, the forgiveness of sins.

2006/11/17 15:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:

based on 1 John 1:8 nobody is perfect yet so we walk under a covering of Grace

1 John 1:8 says no such thing! 1 John 1:8 simply says nobody can deny having a sinful carnal nature. This isn't at all speaking of living in unrepentant sin, as 1:6 makes clear. Nowhere is it taught in all of Scripture that we walk under a covering of grace while living in unrepentant sin.

2006/11/17 16:03Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

This is why i so strongly stated i am an emphasizer of "works worthy of repentance." I would never allow a life of sin with a profession of christ. the clean conscience paul speaks of is the foundation for a clean heart and salvation. I can say that based upon an individuals revelation i don't believe their is a person alive, but christ, who is has fully crucified the "tendencies" of the flesh. This is why i suggest the work of the covering for our present failures. I should have searched for more balance in this before i posted it.. Forgive my lack of clarification as well as possibly my lack of understanding. "Seek peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see God." i do know that. perhaps i thought to hard on the difference of words "washed and cleansed." or perhaps i haven't researched it enough or explained it properly. I will ground my theory a little better next time i post :)

2006/11/17 18:27Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Matt,

Keep listening to the word you hear... I have experienced that as the Holy Spirit is teaching one, precepts found in Scripture, are at first just a direction in which God is leading one to understand what He Himself is teaching the individual. As time goes on, and as you continued to feed on the whole of Scripture, those precept become clearer in one's understanding. As you learn this way you will find a treasure not known by many because they choose not to hear.

In terms of covering, this precept came to mind...

2Cor. 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.

I believe that this Scripture is teaching us about being clothed by robes of righteousness. If we abide in Him He continues to further cloth us in grace and truth. It is this increase which overcomes our carnal mind. It is this increase which frees us from the nakedness of our depravity.

God Bless you brother
In Christ
Jeff

2006/11/17 19:11Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

MattChenier wrote:
perhaps i thought to hard on the difference of words "washed and cleansed." or perhaps i haven't researched it enough or explained it properly. I will ground my theory a little better next time i post :)

Matt,

I hope we didn't disuade you in any way, or appear to be jumping fown your throat. I guess we all come from slightly different directions, and I have noticed that as we share our experiences and understanding of Scripture (however limited it may be), we tend to come one step closer to the truth. I promise you that there are no two people who agree fully, here at this site, but there is a mutual respect amongst all who stay, that is probably the closest thing you can have to true fellowship, without being in the same room together.

One thing is for sure, we are all passionate about His Word, and the Truth (which should be inseperable). Stick around, share what you feel the Lord is giving you, and receive from those who respond. Between that and the preaching, there is a powerful tool in God's hands, that supliments His Word nicely.

Welcome aboard.

2006/11/18 6:00Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I didn't read all the posts, but this is the way I have always dealt with that question:

OT sacrifice covers, the blood of Jesus cleanses.

If you spilt a drink on the carpet and then covered it, it is not visible, but the stain is still there. Cleansing, rather, does away with the stain completely.

1 John 1:7b the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin

2006/11/18 22:06Profile
mega

Australia, NSW

Re:

In all due respect I would be careful when accusing the brethren of not hearing from God, it says in

1 Corinthians 1:27: But God has put the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty.

Keep sharing your revelations brother because when ever we are wrong the Lord always will open our eyes to the truth, this is what this site is about. Dont allow anyone to say you dont hear from God, that is just lacking in grace and understanding on thier part. God Bless. :-)

2006/11/18 22:24Profile
mamaluk

Re:

mega, i concur, grace does seem to be in lack at times

Matt, i for one have learned a little already from this thread, so thankful!

we can perhaps try understanding the different usage of words better with a broader consideration of context..scope..timeline even?

thanks

2006/11/18 22:58Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy