Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A Baptism of Agonized Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

A Baptism of Agonized Preaching

The only acceptable way to preach the blood of Christ is through a broken heart. The preacher must be devastated, grieved; his heart must be in tune with God's, because our God is a hurt and grieving God.

If I am to preach salvation, I should first pray for tears, for pain, for remorse. I must feel the same pain God feels, weep the same tears my Lord wept. These tears are able to dissolve the scab on my sin-apathetic heart. The universal indifference; the aborted babies, the public blasphemies, the church's harlotry with the world, the arrogant mockery, the abuse and hatred men express at my Father and the cross of Christ - all these must move me to tears if I am to deliver a transforming gospel. Indeed, if these can not move me to tears, how then can I say I love my God with all my being? And if I truly loved my neighbor as myself, I would fight and plead and pray and fast until souls are aborted from hell and birthed into God's Kingdom.

Christian, the cross must be preached, even unto death! Even when sinners despise and brothers criticize. Even if no one will come with me or support my burden. The cross must be preached where the people gather, where they commute; lost souls must hear the gospel even if they hate the messenger. Jesus said the true Christian would be hated, despised, rejected, mocked. He said that no student is greater than his teacher. Rejection and self-denial are the true costs of following Jesus Christ, and I'll wear this garment of pain like a royal robe of blessing. I have resolved that my entire life is all for Christ; I crave to be consumed in His presence. His smile on my life is my sole reward.

I am unworthy for such a majestic calling as to preach the blood of Jesus Christ! Created from the dust, yet called to preach God's own shed blood, I must never be seen. I must always pray the Father reduce my being to absolute dirt, because that is all I am. Redeemed refuse once headed for the incinerator. I must remain broken and burdened, lowly and pained. I can not be bothered with insignificant agendas and programs, with vain hobbies and crude conversations while sinners perish. I must keep my focus on the bloodstained cross and hell bound lost. I know my God wills this, for He always diverts my attention back to it when I stray.

Yes, brothers and sisters, have preached the cross, but I regret seldom through tears of pain, and if there is one prayer that is utmost in my devotions, it is this: God grant me agony as I preach repentance to the lost. Everything physical God can keep if only He give me this weeping passion for lost souls in my preaching. Oh, that the unction would go deep down into my spirit! That those within earshot would wring their hands in despair in the presence of God's Spirit. That the lost would turn a deathly pale and fall to their knees in awareness that their sins have nailed the Son of God to the cross. Oh, that the miracle of repentance - true repentance - would be wrought through my preaching. Saints, what greater thing could be granted upon this temporal earth! Tears for the hell bound!

Satan does all he can to distract the true preaching of the cross. Any man that determines in his heart to gain the burden of God and preach the blood of Calvary will soon have a vicious demonic fight on his hands. I have found that Satan's most effective weapon has always been just plain old distractions. Distractions are like Satan's spiritual napalm, because they spread quickly and cause so much damage in so little time. Distractions are like hissing snakes, and Satan sinks the fangs daily. Somehow, and by my own volition, I often find myself too mentally preoccupied to effectively witness, pray, and give God deep devotional time. My spirit yearns for the opposite, and I have noticed that turning the tables on the flesh is an arduous and painstaking task.

Beloved, before I asked God for the burden to weep for the lost, Satan left me alone. I read my Bible diligently; I witnessed and volunteered all I had for church programming. I preached my heart out every Friday night! Everything was going fine; I was a model Christian! There was only one problem: Satan was leaving me alone. But as soon as I asked for tears and agony, the tables turned against me. When I burdened in my gut to take the gospel out to the streets, the heavy artillery started flying. And when I endeavored to meet God daily in radical prayer, Satan hit me with major napalm.

One thing I am sure of: Christians living unburdened lifestyles do not burden hell. The minister of the bloodstained cross of Jesus Christ is a burden for hell. The uncompromised preaching of repentance is a clamoring alarm in hell, and the man or woman who takes it outside the church and into the streets must be stopped at all costs! This is when the napalm hits! Satan's assaults have one goal: to keep me from reading my Bible and praying, from whence I get power from God. Satan's plan of attack is to cut off the fellowship that feeds the flames of eternity within the heart of the preacher.

God is looking for infantrymen that will go and invade the enemy territory, take down the guards, and set the captives free. Some Christians attend workshops, but Jesus needs soldiers that are prepared to roll up their sleeves, strap on the armor and wreak havoc with mighty swords. Action is involved. There is a fight to be fought, prayers to be prayed, a living gospel to be preached.

It's a violent camp, Satan's kingdom. Prayers alone will not bash down the walls; consecrated men and women filled with the Holy Ghost must physically go into the highways and hedges preaching repentance. Oh, God pity us if we do not preach this living gospel of blood and fire!

- Paul West

2006/11/14 19:30Profile
HeartSong

Re: A Baptism of Agonized Preaching

Quote:
God grant me agony as I preach repentance to the lost.

Depth of clarity is found in contrast.

2006/11/15 0:29Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

There is a visible burden in this article.

It won't be popular, but it is true.

There isn't such a sense of burden for the lost in the churches. Most seem to be content to see sinner just come into church and stay sinners, month in month out.

As long as they come, they are in the right place, so the reasoning goes.

Fact is, they haven't repented, so they are still hell-bound sinners.

If their perishing state doesn't grieve us, there is something wrong with us.

God help us to have a genuine burden for the lost, as did the apostle Paul who wished himself accursed from Christ for his brethren's sake.

God bless.

2006/11/15 6:52Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:
One thing I am sure of: Christians living unburdened lifestyles do not burden hell.

2008/9/1 10:50Profile
Compton

Quote:
as soon as I asked for tears and agony, the tables turned against me. When I burdened in my gut to take the gospel out to the streets, the heavy artillery started flying. And when I endeavored to meet God daily in radical prayer, Satan hit me with major napalm.

Thanks Paul, strangely this is encouraging.

For though the LORD is exalted, yet He regards the lowly, but the haughty He knows from afar. Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you will revive me. You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and your right hand will save me. The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting; Do not forsake the works of Your hands. Psalm 138 6-8

MC

2008/9/1 17:24Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Thanks for sharing this burden, Paul. I know
it doesn't ease (because the burden for souls
is of the Lord) the agony; but it defines the
passion of the cross necessary to preach the
gospel!!

2008/9/1 19:32Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Quote:
Paul West:
The only acceptable way to preach the blood of Christ is through a broken heart. The preacher must be devastated, grieved; his heart must be in tune with God's, because our God is a hurt and grieving God.

Thanks for sharing this Paul. Two passages come to mind.

Quote:
1I speak the truth in Christ—I am not lying, my conscience confirms it in the Holy Spirit— 2I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3[u]For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers[/u], those of my own race, 4the people of Israel. Theirs is the adoption as sons; theirs the divine glory, the covenants, the receiving of the law, the temple worship and the promises. [i](Romans 9:1-4)[/i]

and

Quote:
31 So Moses went back to the LORD and said, "Oh, what a great sin these people have committed! They have made themselves gods of gold. 32 But now, [u]please forgive their sin—but if not, then blot me out of the book you have written.[/u]" [i](Exodus 32:31-32)[/i]

Both Paul and Moses were willing to die, even to be accursed or blotted out of the book of life, for the sake of others. It is easy to preach and rebuke others of their sin or deception but it takes a true man of God to willingly lay down his life for the one he is preaching to or rebuking.

2008/9/2 18:37Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:

TheophilusMD wrote:

Both Paul and Moses were willing to die, even to be accursed or blotted out of the book of life, for the sake of others. It is easy to preach and rebuke others of their sin or deception but it takes a true man of God to willingly lay down his life for the one he is preaching to or rebuking.

Amen! Today, we have preachers that simply do anything to get people into their fold -- rather into a mind of repentance. They are juvenile...and selfish. I remember hearing Brother David Wilkerson preach about talking with a minister who was a pastor at one of the larger churches in America...but had not truly prayed in over a year. Yet his "Church" was growing.

I wonder just how much true growth is going on in a flock if their people are simply becoming more like the example set by certain fleshly pastors? Sure, they might impart some knowledge of the Scriptures -- but it seems to have little effect on their lives. It seems that some pastors truly make their flock into "twice the sons of Hell as they" (Matthew 23:15). They may "care" (on the surface) for the ultimate needs of their flock, but their examples show that they are more concerned about having a very involved and growing congregation. They fear to offend (perhaps out of love) so they fail to tell the truth in love.

I know of a certain set of youth who are very involved with Church -- and even publicly proclaim their faith. Yet this same set of youth have terrible "dating problems" and date around (even after recently breaking up with another person in the group). I couldn't understand it -- until I met the youth pastor (via telephone). He is the same way! Yet he boasted about how he can "hear God." It is as if his flock "hears God" in the same way.

Yes, some flocks go to Church, get involved, witness and sing. But do they hunger deeply to spend time alone with God? Or are they simply excited to be with other believers?

God help us to care about the lost...and dying! God help us to care about the Church to tell the truth in deep, heartfelt love -- like Moses and Paul. We need a baptism of His love and compassion!

2008/10/23 17:17Profile
MikeAtnip

Quaker City, Ohio

This reminds me of a saying I heard many years ago:
He that has not wept must not whip.
Mike

2008/10/24 9:46Profile
Trevino

Las Cruces, New Mexico

RE:

Brother, thank you for sharing your burden. God moved me as I read His heart through these words. May our hearts remain broken, burdened, and burning.

2008/10/24 11:19Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy