SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : dont yell at me!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
madmatg

asia

dont yell at me!

don't yell at me! what is the biblical use of preaching on hell-fire, for evangelism? I say hell-fire because I speak about hell in my evangelism but normally it's used in the sense of you are not on God's team but the opposing team and if you don't come to His team during your life He will not let onto it after you die, and you will spend an eternity without God, this entails a lot of suffering!

I know there are many around here who use it quite alot in their evangelism, and some use it a little, and some dont use it at all. i really have not gone through the gospels enough to know how often jesus speaks about hell to those who are unconverted(i know he speaks on it but how often is it to his disciples and later apostles and how often to the crowds or pharisees), i have been through acts a good bit and i don't remember the apostles using hell-fire too much or any at all in their preaching. [b]remember dont yell at me PLEASE![/b]:) just lookin for info on the subject. thanks for the info in advance

2006/11/14 13:07Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: dont yell at me!

Let's look at a few scriptures.

Ezekiel 3v19, 'Yet if you warn the wicked and he does not turn form his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity, but you have delivered your soul'.

Delivered your soul from what? Hell?

Luke 3v7, John the Baptist says, 'Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, 'Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come'.

What wrath? Whose? The wrath of God? Notice he is speaking to the multitudes.

In the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5v29 Jesus says 'If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you, for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for you whole body to be cast into hell'.

Hell? Literal hell?

Mark 8v36, 'For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his own soul?'.

Lose his soul in hell?

On the occasions mentioned, both John the Baptist and Jesus are speaking to crowds, not just disciples.

Even in the book of Acts, Peter mentions the resurrection of Christ and that His soul was not left in Hades (hell), nor did His flesh see corruption.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else has other thoughts.

Did I yell?

God bless.

2006/11/15 9:40Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

enid,

Are you saying Hell isn't real?

2006/11/15 11:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Are you saying Hell isn't real?

I believe he is asking about the principle of raising your voice and yelling that people are going to hell. I believe you cannot do this without tears or a deep sorrow in your heart. If you can say those words asthetically then you are ministring death to your hearers.

2006/11/15 11:33Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I was just curious because I was interpreting the below that enid meant hell was figurative.

Quote:
In the sermon on the mount in Matthew 5v29 Jesus says 'If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you, for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for you whole body to be cast into hell'.

Hell? Literal hell?

Maybe the implied answer was "yes, hell is literal." I was just wondering. :-)

EDIT: Ok, I just reread the post and looked at some other posts of enid's, I was interpreting it wrong. Please forgive me!

2006/11/15 11:41Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

WOW! I'VE OFTEN WONDERED ABOUT PEOPLE IN CHURCH WHEN THE P[REACHER SAYS, "THEY ARE GOING TO HELL (REFERING TO SOME LOST WORLDLY FOLKS) AND THE PEOPLE SHOUT AMEN AND CLAP THIER HAND AS THOUGH THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT GOD FEELS ABOUT IT!
SOMETIMES I DON'T THINK WE HEAR WHAT WE HEAR.

2006/11/15 12:39Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

searchin wrote:
WOW! I'VE OFTEN WONDERED ABOUT PEOPLE IN CHURCH WHEN THE P[REACHER SAYS, "THEY ARE GOING TO HELL (REFERING TO SOME LOST WORLDLY FOLKS) AND THE PEOPLE SHOUT AMEN AND CLAP THIER HAND AS THOUGH THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT GOD FEELS ABOUT IT!
SOMETIMES I DON'T THINK WE HEAR WHAT WE HEAR.

searchin,

Did you know that writing in caps is usally taken as yelling? :-D

2006/11/15 13:23Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: dont yell at me!

Concerning the original post, I thought:

1. The poster was appealing to all not to start yelling and getting mad concerining the question.

2. Was also asking if it was scriptual to preach hell to people, and what examples in scripture could be cited to do so.

That was my understanding.

I just gave reference from scripture for the poster to study and to help him with his questions.

For myself personally, I believe, as the Bible states, that hell is a literal place of torment.

God sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins, so we could avoid everlasting punishment.

It's shocking that we don't warn people more.

We don't always have to speak about hell, unless God directs us to do so. But we should be witnessing and yearning for the lost to be won.

Don't want to get too boring.

God bless.

2006/11/15 13:41Profile
madmatg

asia

Re:

i hope i didnt come across as saying that Hell wasn't real; that is definitely not what i meant to ask; what i meant was how much is too much or too little on Hell in evangelism. such as i've seen people who will only talk about Hell and it seems (to me)like the focus is on that person going to Hell. and i've seen people totally leave out hell and just tell people that jesus wants to be their savior from some unnamed thing and not even mentioning the wrath of God or anything. I don't really like either of these approaches and was just lookin for some insight on that i guess. i kinda like the one that talks about hell and talks about a savior but i think putting too much emphasis on what god can do or will do to that person is bad as i think we should be shifting the focus from that person onto the God of the universe and helping them to understand just what God is and what it is they have done; i don't know if this makes any sense at all i think i'm rambling...if this doesnt make sense just pray for me, because i've been around my campus long enough to see both extremes of what seems to me like humanistic christianity (save yourself from hell cause it's bad and you don't wanna go there!/jesus loves you and if you'll just take him as savior you can go to heaven forever!) these both are true statements but when they become the main focus it gets under my skin. anyways

thanks for not yelling :D

2006/11/15 13:49Profile
brentw

Ohio

Re:

Hell is like a curse word if used in the American church... Its really sad.

2006/11/15 13:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy