SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Are We Ready? -bonar

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Are We Ready? -bonar

[b]Are We Ready?[/b]
[i]by Horatius Bonar[/i]

Is the Church ready for this glorious day? Has she put on her apparel? Has she trimmed and lighted her lamp? Has she filled her vessel with oil? Is she sitting loose from the world? Is she remembering her coming Lord, and seeking to be faithful to Him in His absence? He has intrusted to her His cause, His truth, His honour. Is she alive to her responsibility, and acting accordingly? Is she realising His nearness and His glory? Is she daily influenced by His sure word of promise, “Behold, I come quickly, and my reward is with me?” Is she labouring and suffering for Him? Or is she self-indulgent, worldly, indolent, as if the Lord were not coming, and as if He were bringing no reward with Him?

Look forwards! Look upwards! Stand apart from a present evil world. Remember that in the last days perilous times shall come. It remains for us that we let our light shine and keep our garments undefiled. Labour on, O man of faith! labour on; the toil and the battle will soon be done, and thou shalt rest from thy labours, and thy works shall follow thee.

Beware of the leaven of the last days,—the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadducees,—the leaven of mingled infidelity and superstition,—the leaven of atheism and pantheism.

“Liberality” is the watchword; but is it the liberality of the Bible or of God? Is it the liberality of Him who says in reference to false teaching, “WHICH THING I HATE?” (ch. 2:15). Beware of letting go the truth of God; of either denying, or disgracing, or depreciating it. “Hold fast that which thou hast.” The Master is absent; and responsibility in the Master’s absence is double responsibility. He trusts to us to maintain His truth and to honour His name, till He return. Let His Churches be faithful to their trust, honouring Him as Prophet, Priest, and King. He may be returning soon. If, on His return, He finds us unfaithful to Himself and to His truth, what shall be our recompense? Behold, He cometh! Like a trumpet-voice, let that cry go through the Churches; let it echo through earth. His long absence will soon be ended. Let us be ready: let us watch and be sober.

2006/11/13 20:02Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy