SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Matthew 22 v11,12&13

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bro

belfast

Matthew 22 v11,12&13

who is the guest ? why is he called friend.?

2006/11/12 15:00Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Matthew 22 v11,12&13

Welcome to SI bro.

It is a bit unusual to introduce yourself with two questions. Perhaps you would care to share a little about yourself with us? Also, if you haven't already, please do check out the abundant resources on the site, sermons, articles, hymns, etc...

I will take a stab at answering your first question. I believe the guest is typical of someone who refused to put on the provided garment (Christ's righteousness) and instead chose to show up in his own fancy duds (self-righteousness).

In Christ,

Ron

2006/11/12 16:53Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re:

It is my understanding that it was custom in those days to provide the guests with garments. There was no excuse to not have on the garment. We have been offered the righteousness of Christ. To refuse this righteousness will land one in a place where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth or in other words hell.

2006/11/12 21:02Profile
dohzman

Re:

Brother Ron >>>>show up in his own fancy duds >>> in many ways we really do date ourselves don't we? :-) That phrase brought a chuckle to my funny bone. God Bless Bro.

2006/11/13 6:50Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Interesting that I just left a Keith Daniel meeting where he preached on this. He likened the man without a wedding garment as to one who is worshipping in the midst of the saved believers but who he himself is not saved. Someone whose garments are not washed white by the blood of the Lamb. And when identified, he was "speechless" as to what to say, because had known the truth all along.

As for calling him "friend", I believe this goes along the same line of Jesus calling Judas "friend" in the garden. I really don't know why. Perhaps a title of earnesty, like when we say "brother" or "sir" or "man"? Or perhaps a lesson on grace in speech to those who are our enemies? I'm not adept in Hebrew or Greek, or the customs of those times; there are others in this forum that can do a much better job in explaining the implications of God calling his enemies "friends" in these situations.

Brother Paul

2006/11/13 7:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
in many ways we really do date ourselves don't we? That phrase brought a chuckle to my funny bone. God Bless Bro.

ummm...errr...I heard someone say that somewhere... ;-)

Young in Christ 8-),

Ron

2006/11/13 8:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy