SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Dealing with an unclean spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
HeartSong

Re:

Can someone explain to me what speaking in tongues is? If you are praying, and your heart takes over - so that actual words are no longer formed . . . is that it?

2006/11/20 21:37Profile
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

there is a difference between personal prayer tongues that every person receives when they are baptized in the holy spirit and the the gift of tongues that only some people that are baptized in the holy spirit receive. The gift if tongues is meant for a group or church setting where somebody with the gift of interpretation of tongues can make the message in tongues understood. This interpretation is an exhortation from the spirit of God.

Personal prayer tongues is when the holy spirit swells in you so much it is like an overflow in which the only way to express yourself is by yielding your tongue(which happens to be the hardest thing to yield, which shows surrender to gods spirit) and letting the spirit of god speak through you. This personal prayer tongues is very useful to personal edification during worship and prayer. If you don't speak in this personal prayer language, you aren't baptized in the holy spirit and the spirit of god.

The baptism in the holy spirit is way more than personal prayer tongues. It is a general outpouring of spirit and power into a believers life. Life usually isn't the same after this. Smith wigglesworth is a perfect example.

why didn't jesus speak in tongues, i don't know. I think the anointing of jesus was unique compared to what the believer has. Although i do believe we can do all the miracles he did if we have been empowered and we believe.

Mormons don't speak in the same tongues a believer speaks in. Neither do muslims. The tongues of the believer are given as the spirit gives utterance. Mormons don't have the spirit of god and neither do muslims. Their tongues are not of God.

also 1 cor. i 13 i think it is, explains that tongues is actually a language. Not jibberish. Its the language of angels.

2006/11/22 1:14Profile

Re:

Brethren,

Thank you all for the feedback. It's been precious to me. Indeed, the situation is still far from being resolved. I have been walking in the Spirit, trusting in the Lord to achieve His ends in this.

I have a few questions though, some of which I asked Matt in a pm:

I have never seen a demon being cast out. Can you describe it for me?

Also, I do not know a spirit-baptized congregation, or believers that speak in tongues and talk about spiritual warfare, here in Greensboro. Perhaps one reason is that I have not looked for them, neither have I sought the Lord's guidance. But for one thing, I do not know how necessary the speaking in tongues is and how exactly it functions, as well as the other gifts of the Spirit that Paul writes about in 1 Corinthians. I know I have spontaneously prayed in tongues at times--without even knowing the reason why, as if the Lord pushed me and I couldn't restrain myself. Can you recommend me any good literature on this subject?

Also, I see myself as a sort of leader here in college--although I am still young in the faith,
I have been working with/discipling some of my Christian friends. Some of them have been open to hear and discuss the baptism of the Spirit, others have been resistant. We've been reading R.A. Torrey's [i]The Person and Work of the Holy Spirit [/i]. I feel I need somebody who knows the Spirit to guide me and teach me in this process. I have not really been discipled by men and it's been a struggle. I feel a great need, however, for the truth to be preached powerfully. Our campus ministers are not guided by the Holy Spirit, but I do not want to bring division.

And a last thing (I may be straying from the original thread here): I am going to a student missions conference in three weeks, where I will meet a lot of people. I am praying that the Lord uses me powerfully. What is the most important thing to know going to such a place? (I am expecting to meet with a lot of people who do not know about the baptism of the Holy Spirit.) Thanks.

May the grace of God abound in you all,
Slav

2006/12/6 1:49
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
I have never seen a demon being cast out. Can you describe it for me?

What are you looking for here? I would suggest that you should be satisfied with the accurate scriptural accounts outlined in the Holy writ.Eliphaze talks about spirits in the book of Job, might be good to learn some wisdom here and also re-read the accounts of the gospels.

Quote:
Also, I do not know a spirit-baptized congregation, or believers that speak in tongues and talk about spiritual warfare, here in Greensboro

I do know of some there in your own back yard.
Quote:
Perhaps one reason is that I have not looked for them, neither have I sought the Lord's guidance.

:-?

Quote:
I am praying that the Lord uses me powerfully.

O' man I feel you need to sit in silence and just learn to hear the voice of God, you think your teachers aren't being lead of the Holy Spirit, the conference you're attending ? now you want to be used of God, but you have no clue about the spiritual warfare and the casting out of demons :-? and you want to be used?????? fine-but first read and re-read the Word of God until you at least have a good handle on that! Than DO what i suggested above in MUCH!!!!!! prayer with fasting. Right now you have too many things going on "IN" you, you need to get grounded in Christ and His Written and spoken word before you move out to the deep.

Quote:
What is the most important thing to know going to such a place?

Go willing to learn and hear the Word of God, might be a good place to start.

If you want to be powerful and great in God's sight and the Kingdom of God than you have to become nothing, no reputation, you need to be willing to serve others without observation, the great signs and wonders being wrapped in swaddling clothes as it were and observed by the lowiliest of God's children. Works done not from a pulpit - or as satan placed Jesus on a pinnacle---but works done out of the sight of human eyes but done non-the-less in the sight of God.
I somehow feel though that the posting of what I have here may fall on deaf ears, I hope not, for your sake brother.

2006/12/6 8:22Profile

Re:

Dear Dohzman,

Thank you for your response. I feel some unnecessary astonishment in it--perhaps because you do not know me well and might have misunderstood my intent in writing the post. I will need to re-read it, however, and pray over those things.

And again I thank you. I don't know much, but I know that the Lord is by no means done with me, and I am cool with that. I know where He has taken me from: I know His signs and wonders, and I know that He is with me all the time.

I also realize that I do not really know His Word as I should. I see from your post that it is somewhat of an expectation for me to have read the passage in Job--one that is also in the Word: "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Tim. 2:15). I will not turn a deaf ear to you. I know that "no discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it"(Heb.12:11).

I will stop here... The passage that comes to mind at this moment is in Hebrews: "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him."

Dear Brother Dohzman, I know that the Scriptures cannot be broken, that God's promises are faithful, even when I am unfaithful... I do not want to justify myself here... I simply know how far the Lord has brought me in the last few months. I know that "by grace I am who I am." I know that nothing can separate me from His love. I know that I can quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one with my shield of faith. I have had the faith of a child before Him and He has never let me down. I also know I do not want to take His grace in vain. And I believe this is enough--without faith we cannot please God. I know that my past and my future do not matter--they do not even exist--but all that matters is that I am walking with Him in every present moment, abiding in Him, making sure that I am in the faith. I can never deserve His grace.

And again I thank God that you had the boldness to say the things you did say. I need to be still, fast, pray. I will trust the Lord for the rest. I am in the wilderness.

In Christ,
Slav

2006/12/6 11:56
dohzman

Re:

I might have been to harsh brother in my replies to you. For that I ask your forgiveness and your patience. I'll spend some time in prayer for you and your situation. In Christ, Bro. Daryl

2006/12/6 20:58Profile
Marksman

Re:

Hi Notme,

I have had a little experience with the demonic, both being delivered and seeing deliverance. This has caused me to search out the scriptures, as I come from a Baptist background, where I was never exposed or led to belive in demonic possession/opression - it was simply just not talked about. Since I have found and learnt that one of the most common ways demons will enter people is through unforgiveness - unforgiveness opens the door to demons - they have a right to enter a person...God hands them over

Matthew 6:14 - 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Matthew 18:21-35 - Parable of the unmerciful servant
32"Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?' 34In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.
35"This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart."

The jailers are demons - their purpose is to torture. I do belive that christians can be demon possessed - that in a certain part (or room) of their lives, they have not allowed the Holy Spirit to rule, have hardened hearts towards God, and through sin allowed a demon to rule.

There are other avenues also, a big one is involvement in the occult.

2 Corinthians 10:4 says the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing (pretentions) that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

Unless your friend WANTS to be delivered, unless he is sick of this happening and living like that and is willing to commit his life fully to Christ, there is no point you trying to deliver him...spend time on your knees in prayer and fasting, bind and ask God to pull down the strongholds, powers and principalities at work in and through his life, for we aren't fighting against flesh and blood!

To sum up, in your prayer time make sure that you are free of any unforgiveness, ask God to reveal to you any and He will. I hope this helps some, often it is a long tough road.

If anyone finds problems or wrongs in what I have written, please let me know. I am willing to learn and find out more...

God Bless,
Marcy

2006/12/6 23:04Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Are some people saying on this thread that Satan cannot deceive the believer if the "believer" happens to believe a lie even due to ignorance? That Satan cannot eventually possess the believer with a lie if it is given a place to lodge within?
Is there a reason why we are not to give the devil a foothold...or guard our own hearts...or examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith?
Are we not in a war with the powers of darkness? Are we not told to continually abide in Christ and take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ?
WAKEUP SLEEPY "CHRISTIANS" :-?
The war is there and it is real whether you or me believe there is one to fight or not!!!!!!!!!!
Are we not commanded to take up armour and fight the good fight of faith?
richie

2006/12/7 0:32Profile

Re:

Here is an update on my situation:

Last night the guy--or this friend of mine, as I would call him--threatened me and my brother in Christ, albeit indirectly, that he was going to kill us. It was as if Satan was speaking through him: full of lies and deceit, unable to restrain himself, unwilling to listen. I knew this wasn't the guy I had known.

We called our campus safety after the Lord gave us a verse after we prayed for a while and opened the Scriptures. The verse we opened to was Mark 6:10-11. About shaking the dust off our feet if people are unwilling to listen to us. And this happened when we were afraid for our lives to back to our residence hall.

My brother shared he had a dream a few months ago about his guy who swaggered holding a gun in his hand and shooting--and that before my brother knew anything particular about the other guy's background. And last night we happened to stay at a family off campus. Interestingly, two nights ago my brother had a dream in which he was like an orphan in some upper-middle class person's home. And he felt very welcome, but a little ashamed. He also knew that the host had many daughters in the house, but no sons. Then the host told my brother that he knew about his grandmother that passed away in 1998 and that she (an fervent unbeliever) had owed people $100,000.

We know that the guy that threatened us is afraid for his life. I think he owes money... I think that a gang he has connections to him may want to kill him. He has been acting like the world has ended--without hope, without peace.

And last night we ended up staying in this family, in their big house, they welcomed us, we were a little afraid and ashamed. The host has four daughters.

I know that the Lord's will will be done in this. Please pray for us and our situation: that the Lord gives each a measure of faith, and enables us to do as He pleases. Thanks.

In Christ,
Slav

[u]P.S. Is it possible for a demon-possessed man to really accept Christ and for the Holy Spirit to dwell in him unless we pray for deliverance or cast the demons out first? [/u]

2006/12/8 12:28
MattChenier

Longview,WA

Re:

no it is not possible for a demon possessed man to be saved. they may believe, but "even the devils believe" as James says in James 2.

Their is no new birth. They can't be led by the spirit of god and controlled by a spirit of satan. "As many as are led by the spirit of god, these are the sons of God." Romans

No man can serve two masters for he will love the one and hate the other

The only reason a disciple can be possessed is if he leaves the covering of the blood and opens his life to sin.

How can a demon live in a body with the holy spirit. I think we need to recognize that demons are not "ideas" or "spiritual strongholds" or simply something that a person can't conquer in their life. A demon is a spirit, a person, a being that has feelings and thoughts like any other being. They can talk and feel.

Mt 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
Mt 8:30 And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.
Mt 8:31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.

What communion hath light with darkness. What concord hath the children of God with the children of belial.

If you are possessed by a demon, its because you have left the blood of jesus and opened yourself to the devil.

2006/12/8 16:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy