· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why is wisdom referred to in the feminine in Proverbs?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Why is wisdom referred to in the feminine in Proverbs?

Last night one of the members of my bible study asked me why wisdom is referred to over and over again in Proverbs in the feminine? Can someone give me some insight in this matter. The following is one of many passages that apply.

Pro 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
Pro 4:6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
Pro 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Pro 4:8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honor, when thou dost embrace her.
Pro 4:9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

Blessings Greg

2006/11/10 22:49Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re: Why is wisdom referred to in the feminine in Proverbs?

I want to preface this by saying: I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Hebrew other than a few pronunciation things. But in language in general, the gender of a word may or may not have anything to do with sex. For example:

In Spanish, "amiga" is feminine in gender and MUST/CAN ONLY refer to a friend who is of the female sex.

However, "el mano" is masculine in gender but it means "hand" which carries with it no reference to sex. Whether the hand belongs to a male or female, the word used is still "el mano" masculine. No difference.

My GUESS, which is just that, is that "wisdom" in Hebrew is a feminine word and always a feminine word, so any pronouns/adjectives modifying it must also be feminine. But this has absolutely nothing to do with male/female ideas. Make sense?

If anyone knows Hebrew, please either confirm or correct what I have said.

2006/11/11 1:05Profile
rookie

Re:

Gen. 3:15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.

Galatians 4:
24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:
Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.

In both of these sections of Scripture we find that there is a woman that is ascribed to the new covenant.

In Genesis, God is declaring His judgement on Satan and states that there will be enmity between Satan and the woman and her Seed. The battle between the woman and Satan is spiritual and not of the flesh. The woman is not Eve or Mary as most teach.

In the book of Galatians we find that Paul is teaching about two covenants. The Old Covenant was dependent upon the weakness of the flesh. The New Covenant is dependent upon the power of God. Please note that the second woman that is from above does not experience labor as the woman who has a husband...

So if you read from the first 8 Chapters of Proverbs you will see that the "wisdom" that brings righteousness, is of God. We know that man cannot know God or His ways unless it is God who reveals Himself to man. So I believe that "wisdom" is the Holy Spirit. For unless we are born from above we have no hope. I say this because of Paul's teaching in Romans 8:

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Only by the law of the Spirit can we please God, for our carnal minds is enmity against God...

Most will not affirm this teaching to be true because it causes all kinds of problems for those who believe in the teachings of dispensational theology. Yet if you come to understand this precept, you will find a treasure in the OT...

In Christ
Jeff

2006/11/11 6:54Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy