Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : are you "in the family?"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
searchin

u.s.a. /

are you "in the family?"

One evening I was at the dining room table reading the story of Noah in Genesis chapters 6 and 7. I’ve read it before, but this time I noticed something was missing. I quickly turned back the page to read it again. After reviewing the chapters, I realized that there was something missing.
It was then i asked my wife if she remembered when God told Noah to preach to the people of his day and warn them of a great flood coming to the Earth, but they would not listen to him. They began to mock and ridicule Noah and his family. Well, of course she remembered that. She knew it as well as I did! There’s only one problem; it’s not in the Bible.
Now wait a minute. Don’t quit reading just yet. Noah certainly is in the Bible, and I believe every word of Genesis, even the account of the flood. It’s the events surrounding that flood, what God actually spoke to Noah, and what Noah actually did, that we’re going to look into.
One very important lesson this brings up is how easy it is to believe
Something to be true in God’s word when you have never actually read it.
At times, even when we do read the Bible we really don’t see what we’re reading. We are blinded by what we know to be true, or rather what we

think we know to be truth. There are many examples of teachings and
beliefs that people hold onto simply because of what they have been taught by man, yet they have never searched it out in scripture. You can hear something so much that you will eventually believe it. And even if you choose not to believe it, if you hear it long enough it will influence the way you think. That’s why Jesus said in Mark 4:24 “Take heed what you hear.” When it comes to God’s word break out the bible and read it for yourself.
The purpose of
the flood
We have heard for years about how Noah warned the people of a coming flood, and how they mocked him, but he kept on building. The truth is that’s not what happened and there’s a reason for that. First of all, let’s look at Genesis chapter 6 verses 7 and 8, and the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth: both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.” (v.10) “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.” Then in verse 13 God says to Noah, “the end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I

will destroy them with the earth.” In verse 17 and 18 of Genesis chapter 6, God says,” And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and everything that is in the earth shall die. (v.18) But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thy sons, and thy wife, and thy son’s wives with thee.”
We see from these scriptures that God’s purpose for the flood was to destroy all flesh, and the purpose of the ark was to save Noah and his family. In fact God never told Noah to warn mankind, he told him to build an ark. And he obeyed God and “…prepared an ark to the saving of his house”(Hebrews 11:7). God never intended for anyone else to enter that ark, except Noah and his family.
Second Peter chapter 2 verse 5 says that he was a “…preacher of righteousness.” The truth is that the purpose of the ark was not to save man but to preserve the righteousness of God on the earth.
It wouldn’t have been enough for Noah to warn, convince, or manipulate men to enter into the ark and escape the floodwaters. The decision was not the ark or the flood; the decision was righteousness or sin, and that choice had already been made long before the ark was built.
In Genesis chapter 6 verse 3 the Lord said, “my spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.” Judgement came long before the rain fell. Noah was saved because he loved God, and was righteous in God’s eyes, not because he feared water. If Noah would have convinced men that they could escape the drowning flood and filled the Ark with ungodly men that had no change in their hearts, not moved by God’s spirit but by fear, God would have had to sink the Ark and start over again. The purpose of the flood was to destroy the wicked from the earth, but Noah lived a righteous life and God honored his faithfulness and made a way for him and his family to be saved. So, we see that when God sent judgement and condemned sin in the world, he found a righteous man and saved him and his family.
Let’s leave Noah for now and look at another man. In Genesis chapter 19 God pronounced his fierce judgement on the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. You may know the story of how Abraham talked with God and began what sounded like the auction of the ages. Abraham compelled God not to destroy the cities if he found 50, 40, and finally 10 righteous people. Then in Genesis chapter 19 and verses 15 and 16 the bible says,
‘…And the angels hastened Lot, saying, “Arise, take thy wife, and thy two daughters, which are here; lest thou be consumed in the iniquity of the city. (v.16) And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hands of his two daughters; the Lord being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.” We see again when God sent judgment because of sin he found a righteous man and used him to save his family (II peter 2:6-8).
In Genesis chapter 9 verses 8 and 9, God establishes a covenant with Noah and his sons. Noah found grace in the God’s eyes. And because of grace, we can be made righteous in the sight of God, through Christ. Second Corinthians chapter 5 verse 21 says, “for he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.” Also, in Romans chapter 3 verse 22, “even the righteousness of God, which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all, and upon all them that believe…”
In the day when God will judge sin on the earth, just as God used Noah and Lot, God will find a righteous man and use him to save his entire family. That man is Jesus Christ. The question is, will you be part of the Family? Before going any further lets take a look at the comparison that Jesus gave us in scripture as it relates to Noah and Lot and the day we’re living in right now. In Luke chapter 17 verse 26 Jesus said, “…as it was in the days of Noah. So shall it be also in the days of the son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the Ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.” Who was destroyed? Everyone but Noah and his family. Verses 28 through 30 go on to say, “Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, the sold, they planted, they built; (v.28) but the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. (v.29)Even thus shall it be in the day when the son of man is revealed.” Who was destroyed? Everyone but Lot and his family. Noah and his family were the only ones to hear the call to enter into the Ark. Lot and his family were the only ones to hear the call to flee Sodom.
And so shall it be ---- if your not in the family of God, through Christ, you will not hear the final call. “When the trumpet sounds, and the Lord descends from Heaven with a shout, with the voice of the Archangel, and with the trumpet of God: the dead in Christ will rise First: then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord” (I- Thessalonians 4:16-17). Your spirit will not respond to that call if you are not in the family.
The way has
Been made
God’s plan was clear in the days of Noah and Lot and it is clear today through his word. If you want to be saved you must be in his family. The truth is God has made a way for you to be saved. Just as he made a way for Noah and his family to escape the flood, and he made a way for Lot and his family to escape the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, he has made a way for you to escape the judgement of sin and to have eternal life with God forever.
Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.” (John 14:6) The amazing thing is that the Bible opens the door into the family of God so that whosoever will, can come to Christ and become a part of the family of God. Think about what it means to be part of a family. There are primarily three ways to become part of a family. You are either born, married, or adopted into a family. The effort that God has made for you to be in his family is outstanding.
With that in mind notice how our relationship with God has progressed. In John chapter 15 verse 13 Jesus said, “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” And in the very next verse Jesus said, “you are my friends if ye do whatsoever I command you.” We know that he willingly laid down his life on Calvary, but he went much further than giving his life for his friends. To demonstrate how much he loved us, and how much he wanted us to be a part of his family, Jesus gave his life to save us while we were yet sinners. Romans chapter 5 verse 10 even goes as far to say that “while we were the enemies of God, Christ died for us.” He excluded no one when he paid the price for our sins on the cross. Greater love has no man than this that he would lay down his life for a friend, but God’s love is so much greater in that while we were enemies of the cross he sent his only son to die and make the way for us to be at peace with God forever. Once enemies, than friends, but now so much more, now we are in the family of God. Your place in God’s family is so certain that he has covered every possible aspect of acceptance for us in his family.
In second Corinthians chapter 11 verse 2; Paul said, “I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you… to Christ.” Again in Romans chapter 8 verses 14 through 17, Paul writes, “for as many as are led by the spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (v.15) For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the spirit of adoption, whereby we cry Abba, Father. (v.16) The spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (v.17) and if children then heirs; heirs of God. And joint heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.”
We no longer have to live as enemies of God. He has made a way for us to be part of the family of God. Not just friends or servants, not even one who is accepted as part of the family through adoption or marriage but God’s desire is for us to be born into his family. Jesus told Nicodemus in John chapter 3 verse 3, “…except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” First John chapter 5 verse 1 says, “whosoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of
God: And everyone that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.”
When you come to the Father, through Jesus Christ, he will accept you as one of his. The way to eternal life and everlasting fellowship with God has been made.
In John 10:9 Jesus said, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved….” You have an invitation from the father, an invitation to eternal life. Jesus said in John chapter 14 verses 1 through 3, “let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. (v.2)In my father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. (v.3)And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself: that where I am, there ye may be also.” Jesus taught in John Chapter 10, “…if a man tries to enter any other way but through the door he is the same as a thief and robber.” And who would try to get into a house without using the door except someone who is not a member of the family. If you have a relationship with the father you are welcome in the house and you don’t need to seek another entrance because you’re welcome through the door. That door is Jesus! The bible tells us that; “if we believe on the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved” (Acts 16:31). The Bible also says in Romans chapter 10 verses 9 and 10, “that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (v.10)For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” And Romans chapter 10 verse 13 says, “for whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.” Jesus said in John chapter 6 verse 37; “All that the father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” When we, with our hearts, respond to the call of God; putting our hope and confidence in Christ and accepting, “…the gift of God, which is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23) and we turn our backs on this world and begin to follow Christ then we will know the joy and peace that can only come from God. “…As many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. (John 1:12)
You can experience the comfort of knowing you have a relationship with your father in heaven. A father that loves you with a perfect love…….
Accept you’re invitation into the family of God today!

ROY BELT……..2006

2006/11/8 13:08Profile
rocklife

usa

Re: are you "in the family?"

you are right that the account does not say he went out and preached.

but the New Testament says "if He did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others..." 2 Peter 2:5

Hebrews 11:7 mentions "By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith."

The bible does not come right out and say he was open-air preaching, which is the impression given by some preachers. maybe that impression can come from 2 Peter 2:5, but that seems to be the only Scripture support for it.

(I noticed that discrepancy too, since I am young christian, I read the bible first, then I heard a preacher say Noah was preaching, but I knew that wasn't said in Genesis like that.)

2006/11/8 13:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy