Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Salvation

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
toledomudhen

Salvation

I'm a new Christian, but I've been reading my Bible non-stop for a few months now. I'm not yet finished, but one question I can't seem to find the answer to is this:

What is truly NECESSARY for my salvation?

I work with someone that tells me I MUST believe that the scriptures are the inerrant and God-breathed. Others say that right belief is more important than works. It seems to me that many people have many opinions. What does the Bible say?

2006/11/6 19:32Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Salvation

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment." - 1 John 3:23

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." - Romans 10:13

---

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behild, all things are become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

"Ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you , except ye be reprobates?" - 2 Corinthians 13:5

"we shall all stand before the judgement seat of Christ." - Romans 14:10

--

I encourage you to listen and dowload Zac Poonen's bible basics series that you can listen to here:
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=157

2006/11/6 19:59Profile
Logic

Quote:

toledomudhen wrote:

All you need is[b] [size=large]FAITH!!![/size][/b] Faith is what keeps us until we are perfected.
[b]1Peter 1:5[/b] [color=990000]the ones in the power of God [are] being guarded by faith to a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time;[/color]
[b]1Peter 1:7[/b] [color=990000]so that the proving of your faith, much more precious than perishing gold, but having been proved through fire, may be found to praise and honor and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ;[/color]
[b]1Peter 1:9[/b] [color=990000]obtaining the end of your faith, the salvation of your souls.[/color]

In the Hebrew mind faith and faithfulness are the same thing.
Faithfulness is loyalty and obedience. Faith is toward GOD. Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." In other words faith is substantial evidence of our hope, and a right response to God. This hope is not a wish but a knowledge in which we await.
This verse tells us Who our hope is in, [b]1Timothy 1:1[/b][color=990000]Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Savior, and Lord Jesus Christ, [which is] our hope.[/color]
Therefore our hope is not a wish but a certainty.

2006/11/6 20:34Profile
toledomudhen

Re:

What if I don't believe in a trinitarian God? I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, but I've not found any biblical basis for their equality. Jesus said that he and the Father are one, but I'm not sure how that makes the Holy Spirit equal. Jesus also said that the Father is greater than he is. I'm pretty confused.

2006/11/6 20:56Profile
Logic

Re:

[b]Deu 6:4[/b] [color=990000]Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:[/color]
In Hebrew: Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Ehad.

The literal word meanings are roughly as follows:

[b]Shema[/b] - listen, or hear
[b]Yisrael[/b] - Israel, in the sense of the people or congregation of Israel
[b]Adonai[/b] - often translated as "Lord", it is used in place of the Tetragrammaton
[b]Eloheinu[/b] - our God, the word "El" or "Elohei" signifying Gods (see also: Elohim), and the plural posessive determiner suffix "nu" or "einu" signifying "our"
[b]Ehad[/b] - the Hebrew word for "1" (the number) here it means uniified.

Furthermore, the word "us" & "our":
[b]Gen 1:26[/b] [color=990000]And God said, Let [b]us[/b] make man in [b]our[/b] image, after [b]our[/b] likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.[/color]

If He is one in three, then we are one person with three; body, soul, spirit.
Moreover, There was no one to talk to but the trinity during creation.

If they are one, God can not be unbalanced in equality for God hates an unjust balance (Pro 11:1)

Quote:
....I'm not sure how that makes the Holy Spirit equal.

Then why do you think He said this? "[b]Matthew 12:31[/b] [color=990000]Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.[/color]
If one can blasphem anything but the Holy Spirit, He must be great.

2006/11/6 23:47Profile

toledomudhen wrote

Quote:
What if I don't believe in a trinitarian God? I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, but I've not found any biblical basis for their equality. Jesus said that he and the Father are one, but I'm not sure how that makes the Holy Spirit equal. Jesus also said that the Father is greater than he is. I'm pretty confused.

There is a thread which discussed these issues at length:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7893&forum=36]http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7893&forum=36[/url]

You may not find all your answers there, though.

Always remember that an acceptance of [i]theology[/i] is not entirely necessary for a Bible-believing Christian. If you believe the Bible, and allow it to shape your growing relationship with the Father, through Jesus Christ in whom you have believed, you can't go wrong.

The doctrine of the Trinity was carved out to refute real heresy. This is the often the case when men use scripture as the basis for an extra-scriptural statement of belief.

The first chapter of Colossians is helpful, as it shows the organic nature of the Godhead, and how it is still very much alive and full of purpose towards the accomplishment of its own good pleasure.

2006/11/10 11:11

Quote:

toledomudhen wrote:
I'm a new Christian, but I've been reading my Bible non-stop for a few months now. I'm not yet finished, but one question I can't seem to find the answer to is this:

I work with someone that tells me I MUST believe that the scriptures are the inerrant and God-breathed. Others say that right belief is more important than works. It seems to me that many people have many opinions. What does the Bible say?

What do you feel in your heart about Jesus Christ? That's all that matters.....to Him.
:-D

2006/11/13 15:21
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

faith and... the object of you're faith. so faith and truth or faith in the truth "faith in God"

you can have great faith in thin ice and drown
but you can have little faith in thick ice and walk on water!

2006/11/13 15:35Profile
becauseHEliv

Southeast Texas

Re: What is necessary for Salvation?

The heart of every issue is the issue of the heat.

I believe 2 things are necessary for Salvation…

1) broken heart
2) contrite spirit

Psalm 34:18

The LORD [is] nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite spirit.

2006/11/13 20:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy