PosterThread
MisterCheez

Colorado

The Theology of Sin & Law

I'm confused about sin, doesn't the word say:

the power of sin is the law
sin was not imputed before the law
neverless death still reigned

1. Does this just mean that God (for the most part wasn't busting people) for their sins pre-law? For example, Cain was let off for murdering his brother but the first guy to screw up under the law was put to death for collecting sticks on the Sabbath.

2. Is the law a good picture of God's standards/holiness - or is it just a system to bring us to our knees?

3. Since death reigned despite the 'non-imputation' of sin (pre-law), can we assume the eternal consequences for sin were still the same as for transgression under the law?

4. Are all unbelievers under the law today - or just the Jews? Or is no one under the obligation of the law because Christ did away with it?

Basically, I'm trying to grasp sin and law. If an unbeliever asked me why God has to punish sin or what exactly it is - I'd like a solid understanding.

Hope this is semi-clear. Any clarification would be extremely edifying.
Thanks,
Brian

2006/11/3 11:15Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Theology of Sin & Law

I'm no Bible scholar, but I'll check scripture if I can.

I guess you are quoting from Romans 5 which says sin is not imputed when there is no law.

The moral law of God has always existed as opposed to His written law, namely, the law of Moses.

God punished sin from the garden of Eden, when Adam and Eve sinned.

That was when death, disease, thorns and thistles was man's punishment for his rebellion against God.

There was no written law, but they were still punished.

As far as getting away with murder goes, in the case of Cain, his judgment came later in hell.

I don't see anywhere that he repented.

The Flood was sent as a judgment of God, as was the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.

We are all accountable to God. We have to stand before the judgment seat of Christ, 2 Cor 5v10.

That's my small contribution. Maybe someone else can give more details.

God bless.

2006/11/6 7:15Profile
Logic

Re: The Theology of Sin & Law

Quote:

MisterCheez wrote:
Basically, I'm trying to grasp sin and law. If an unbeliever asked me why God has to punish sin or what exactly it is - I'd like a solid understanding.

Hope this is semi-clear. Any clarification would be extremely edifying.
Thanks,
Brian

We all are born spiritually dead and therefore we are all soulish in nature, being lead by the lusts of our flesh. Our souls rule our physical bodies. When we become born again, we become spiritually alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord and no longer soulish. Our souls, then, need to be the servant to our spirits to rule our flesh in a Godly manner. It is the soul that we battle everyday, who will rule? Will it be our soulish passion to walk after the flesh, or will it be our spirit, to life in Christ Jesus which has made me free from the law of sin and death?
[b]Romans 8:4[/b] [color=990000]That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.[/color]

Our sins are the [u]evidence[/u] that God uses against us. If our sins haven't been washed away by His atoning blood, then the evidence against us is what God uses to condemn us on the Day of Judgment.
But, how does God prove that evidence?
He uses His Law.
What does His Law do?
The Law is used to show us that we cannot uphold the righteous standards of God and we are incapable to do it and that we need to be changed from within in order to accomplish the Law. The Law not only shows us that we are spiritually dead, it also shows us why we need to be changed to be spiritually alive most of all.

God doesn't only forgive your sins, which is the evidence HE uses against us; first He must forgive who you are personally, which is spiritually dead. When God forgives who you are, you are then changed, Born again, a new creation, Born of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus. If He doesn't, first, forgive who you are(make you alive), you couldn't come into His presence nor be able to follow him in a Christian walk which is after the spirit of life in Christ Jesus. [b]Romans 8:7[/b] [color=990000]Because the mind-set of the flesh is hostile towards God, for it is not subject to the law[/color] (the evidence) [color=990000]of God, nor indeed is it able to be.[/color]

Then after forgiving who you are personally, He then forgives what you do and what you will do in the future. He forgives what you do in order for you to stay in His presence.

In short, our fallen(spiritually dead) and soulish nature, without fail, causes each and every one of us to sin. In turn, because of law of sin and death, a person is on their way to Hell. Fallen, sinful persons can only escape that fallen nature, which is the cause of our sinning, and thus escaping Hell through belief and trust in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ because of His resurrection.
[color=990000]

2006/11/6 10:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy