SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The decline of Secular AND Christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: Church is going to the dogs!

Quote:
Holy Ghost Weenie Roast!

Quote:
Warning: May cause loss of hearing.

My aren’t we just so cool –we evangelicals!

Church is going to the dogs for sure. I mean literally. The Anglican Church on my street had a “Bless our Pets” Sunday, and everyone brought their pets to be blessed by the priest. … So which denomination is on the steepest slippery slide?

Back to the hearing-loss warning … My husband adds his own thought: “They may as well announce on the poster that drugs are available at the concert.” …. How about special drugs to heighten one’s spiritual experience?

And now, on a better note (literally speaking) …

The 13 yo (from an RC home) whom I mentioned earlier in a post, whose mother has rejected her, showed up in church, and approached me to say, “Hi!” Then she casually mentioned that she had her music bag … just in case…. I was deeply touched! So together, unplanned, we played from her “Favorite Hymns Level 1” a four-hand rendition of All Things Bright and Beautiful - with all the stops pulled on the pipe organ. We rocked the church! And I think God was smiling.

What is so exiting to me is that none of us church folk are doing anything cool to draw in the young people. We don’t even use Power Point! And we’re certainly not the ideal, spiritually. But here was a young person who came, and brought along her two mites, and laid them on the altar.

Praise God!

Diane

2006/11/5 18:49Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

This may be off the topic a bit...but what would you think if your pastor decided to host Dave Ramsey's popular 13-week "Financial Peace University" program in your church?

(edit) And charge $90.00 per family to attend.

Perhaps this topic warrants a whole new thread.

Brother Paul

2006/11/5 18:54Profile
Compton

Re:

Paul,

Charging a hefty fee for a financial advice seminar reminds me of my favorite peanuts (Charlie Brown) cartoon.

Linus walks up to Lucy who has a sign on her lemondade stand that reads :"Learn how to get rich---5 Dollars." So linus reaches into his pocket and pulls out a 5 dollar bill. Lucy takes the money, and then stares the other direction without saying anything.

Linus waits a second and then asks "Hey where's my lesson?"

Lucy hold's out her hand again for more money and says "Pay attention this time."

MC

2006/11/5 19:10Profile

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
Paul,

Charging a hefty fee for a financial advice seminar reminds me of my favorite peanuts (Charlie Brown) cartoon.

Linus walks up to Lucy who has a sign on her lemondade stand that reads :"Learn how to get rich---5 Dollars." So linus reaches into his pocket and pulls out a 5 dollar bill. Lucy takes the money, and then stares the other direction without saying anything.

Linus waits a second and then asks "Hey where's my lesson?"

Lucy hold's out her hand again for more money and says "Pay attention this time."

MC

Bottom line is always you have to give more.

2006/11/5 19:13
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:

:-P Great!

Well, okay, I see your point. But what if the $90.00 were for the books and materials, and the church wasn't making a profit? Do you think this seminar-styled financial wisdom stuff has a place in the chuch? Is anyone familiar with Dave Ramsey's "financial make-over" books and nationally-syndicated radio talk show?

2006/11/5 19:19Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
“Bless our Pets” Sunday

I can't decide whether to laugh or weep over that one! I'll get back to you on my decision.

One of our problems is that we tell everyone that we don't 'love the world' and then go out and make cheap copies of everything in the world.

Instead of celebrating Halloween, we have 'harvest parties'.

Instead of rebelling with Rock we have Christian rock.

Instead of financial investment seminars we have Biblical stewardship seminars.

Instead of drinking Scotch to relax we have Nyquil...you know who you are.

Instead of scant sensual clothing we wear...wait a minute... we still use the original for that one.

The message to the world is that we are hiding a void in our hearts for the world.

MC

2006/11/5 19:21Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
But what if the $90.00 was for the books and material, and the church wasn't making a profit?

I was just making a silly joke...I'm sure there is a valid reason for the cost. Many of us certainly could use some help with financial wisdom.

Blessings bro,

MC

2006/11/5 19:23Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Quote:
No, in this, I see him as both King and Priest, a type of Christ with all the reason to justify what would seem to be presumption.

Aye, fair enough.

2006/11/5 20:18Profile

Re:

Quote:

PTywama3 wrote:
Quote:
No, in this, I see him as both King and Priest, a type of Christ with all the reason to justify what would seem to be presumption.

Aye, fair enough.

:-D

2006/11/5 20:24
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Is anyone familiar with Dave Ramsey's "financial make-over" books and nationally-syndicated radio talk show?

?

Is it the Jesus- way? If it is, then how did it get to be popular?

Diane

2006/11/5 20:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy