SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Reading the Bible - Newton

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Reading the Bible - Newton

I know not a better rule of reading the Scripture, than to read it through from beginning to end and, when we have finished it once, to begin it again. We shall meet with many passages which we can make little improvement of, but not so many in the second reading as in the first, and fewer in the third than in the second : provided we pray to him who has the keys to open our understandings, and to anoint our eyes with his spiritual ointment. The course of reading today will prepare some lights for what we shall read tomorrow, and throw a farther light upon what we read yesterday. Experience only can prove the advantage of this method, if steadily persevered in. To make a few efforts and then give over, is like making a few steps and then standing still, which would do little towards completing a long journey. But, though a person walked slowly, and but a little way in a day, if he walked every day, and with his face always in the same direction, year after year, he might in time encompass the globe. By thus travelling patiently and steadily through the Scripture, and repeating our progress, we should increase in knowledge to the end of life.

The Old and New Testament, the doctrines, precepts, and promises, the history, the examples, admonitions, and warnings, etc. would mutually illustrate and strengthen each other, and nothing that is written for our instruction would be overlooked. Happy should I be, could I fully follow the advice I am now offering to you. I wish you may profit by my experience. Alas, how much time have I lost and wasted, which, had I been wise, I should have devoted to reading and studying the Bible! But my evil heart obstructs the dictates of my judgment, I often feel a reluctance to read this book of books, and a disposition to hew out broken cisterns which afford me no water, while the fountain of living waters are close within my reach.

John Newton

2006/10/22 1:27Profile

Re: Reading the Bible - Newton

Wonderful advice! About 2 months ago I started doing this....I'm up to the book of Ezra, almost all the way through the entire Bible.

2006/10/22 13:43
HeartSong

Re: Reading the Bible - Newton

This was posted under A. W. Tozer - "The Menace of the Religious Movie (reading)"
. . . Tozer, in keeping with the historic Christian stance on the theater, condemns the religious movie, giving the following seven
reasons: 1. [b]It violates the scriptural law of hearing.[/b] . . ."

Does anyone know anything about the "scriptural law of hearing"?

Daily, I have been reading the Old Testament and listening to the New Testament (James Earl Jones) on my iPod. Interestingly, there is a difference in my response - but it may be due to the fact that one is the OT and one is the NT. Additionally I have recently read most of the NT, but not the OT (I am sure there are parts of the OT that I have never read). I am finding that the reading of the Old Testament is overwhelming at times - kind of like a million piece jigsaw puzzle. It is something that I absorb slowly and it seems to go in and out of focus. The listening to of the New Testament is much more relaxed - if I miss something (because I am usually doing something else while listening), or if a verse really catches my heart, I simply replay the chapter (sometimes over and over). The BEST is listening while walking along the river. Something about hearing His Word while beholding His Creation . . . oh, it is so much better than anything man could ever think of. A person can not buy things such as this.

2006/10/22 15:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy