Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Stirring Ourselves To Prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Stirring Ourselves To Prayer

[b]Stirring Ourselves To Prayer[/b]

The prophet Isaiah lived in a time when Israel was in a backslidden condition. Her cup of iniquity had become almost full and she was soon to be carried away captive to a heathen land. There were mountains of difficulties in the way of God's work. The people were divided, and nothing, it seemed, could bring them together. The worst thing was their lukewarmness--the hardest thing in the world with which to deal.

The adversaries were ridiculing and mocking, saying, "Where is your God?" These taunts did not trouble Israel very much, because there was very little fear of God among the people. In the midst of this situation, Isaiah perceived that if God would only come down, that is, if He would manifest His presence, it would solve every problem of the nation.

"Oh that thou wouldest rend the Heavens, that Thou wouldest come down, that the mountains might flow down at Thy presence, as when the melting fire burneth, the fire causeth the waters to boil, to make Thy name known to Thine adversaries, that the nations may tremble at Thy presence!" (Isa 64:1,2).

The mountains would flow down at His presence. Nothing could stand in the presence of Almighty God, and His manifested presence would break down every barrier and sweep away everything that hindered. He saw that God's fire would melt the people and bring them together by His power. He saw that the waters would be made to boil, so that lukewarmness would vanish.

Best of all, God's name would be made known to the adversaries. Skepticism would be swept away, and His people would tremble in His presence.

Similar Conditions Today

Without a doubt we are living in a time similar to that of Isaiah's day. We see conditions in America are terrible. There are divisions among God's people. False doctrines and cults have swept thousands into fanaticism and delusions of vast variety. On every hand there is a lukewarmness that is appalling.

Thousands have lost their faith and left their first love. The only thing that can solve the problem is the manifest presence of God! All our programs, our great preaching, our organizations, our choirs and orchestras, radio and TV--everything that man can do--has failed to solve the problem.

But if we can get God to come down and manifest Himself, the mountains will flow down at His presence, the divisions among God's people will vanish, and we will be brought into one great united body.

More than that, the lukewarm people will be set on fire for God. The waters will be made to boil. The enemies of Christ will be made to know that His power is real, and His name will be made known to the adversaries.

The words of Isaiah take us to the very heart of today's problem of getting God to come down and manifest His presence among us:

"There is none that calleth upon Thy name, that stirreth up himself to take hold of Thee: for Thou hast hid Thy face from us, and hast consumed us, because of our iniquities" (Isaiah 64:7).

Let us face the truth. God has declared exactly why He does not come down. His people are backslidden, and not a man can be found who will stir himself up to take hold of God in effectual prayer. It is clearly the meaning of this Word that God will come down, however bad conditions may be, provided He can get His people to call upon His name.

Many instances in the history of the Church prove this. The greatest men who have lived to shake the world with God's power have been, every one of them, men of prevailing prayer. The one effectual means for bringing back the presence of God to the people is prevailing prayer!

The greatest lack among God's people is that of travailing prayer. We should be reminded that there has never been a Holy Ghost revival in the history of the world that has not been prayed down! And the praying had to be prevailing prayer--prayer that was desperate; prayer that stirred people up to such fervency of spirit that they fairly took hold of God.

I have seen many times in revival meetings when God's Spirit began to move on people whose hearts were open, and who were hungry for God until that heavenly urge was upon them, and they would pray all night long, wrestling with God like Jacob of old! (Gen. 32:24-30).

I have seen such tremendous results come after such travailing prayer that I am certain that wherever there is real travailing prayer that takes hold of God, it will bring the presence of God down.

"As soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children" (Isaiah 66:8).

Prayer Means Warfare

The devil in all his wisdom knows that the power of prayer is the greatest weapon that God has put in our hands against the enemy. He knows that if he can keep the people from praying, he will stop a revival, and knowing this, he will do anything and everything in the world that he can to choke down a real spirit of Holy Ghost praying.

The devil knows that if we recognize that prayer is a real battle, we would be willing to fight in the battle of prayer and not give down because of the pressure of the enemy. For that reason the devil has camouflaged his movements in these days, and he is making a battleground in other places.

The devil gets us disputing over doctrines, and fighting over other things--a camouflage to sidetrack us from the real place of battle. There is only one real battleground today and that is the battleground of prayer!

Busy With Good Things

If you start to pray through, you are going to meet with a real battle in the spiritual realm. The devil brings drowsiness upon you. He will divert your mind onto something else. He will do anything under the sun to keep you from praying through.

The devil knows that if you can get your prayers answered you can solve any problem in the world and accomplish any purpose for God.

While preaching has a place in the plan of God and a wonderful place at that, yet the greatest preaching in the world, unless backed up by travailing prayer, cannot bring the Holy Ghost revival we must have today! The prayer of faith can do anything. Jesus said, "Nothing shall be impossible unto you" (Matt. 17:20).

The devil knows this and for that reason the real attack he is making on God's people today is an attack against the spirit of prayer. He wants to keep God's people from seeing the importance of it and really taking hold of God.

Shall we face the responsibility for God's holding Himself aloof in the heavens? We cannot escape it. We can refuse to acknowledge it now, but it will meet us at the Judgment Seat of Christ. Then it will be too late!

The opportunity for mighty conquest through the power of God will be gone forever. Lost souls that might have been saved must be met. We cannot roll the responsibility upon someone else. Each of us must face it as our own!

God has given us the reason why He doesn't come down. He says it is because "none have called upon His name." That expression "called" has a tremendous significance. It denotes desperation. It denotes importunity and a stirred-up condition that puts men into a desperate place.

The main thing is, God says, "There is none that stirreth up himself to take hold of God" (Isa. 64:7). Because prayer is a battleground and because the enemy does everything he can to choke down and hinder a spirit of prayer, a man must necessarily stir himself up in order to be able to pray effectually.

The Great Problem Today

We must get the people of God to see that they must stir themselves up if they really want to prevail in prayer. Unless they do prevail in prayer, God will not come down and manifest His presence.

We must see that the battle lies right here. It is the battle against ourselves--the battle against the flesh that would become slothful and indulgent and indifferent to the great needs today!

To stir yourself up means something! It means that you have to go against the tendencies of your own flesh, even against the desires of your flesh. You have to recognize that you need to be stirred up or otherwise there would be no necessity for such a command that you stir yourself up.

God demands a real heart of love in us that has a true interest in His work. He is looking for that heart of love before He can cooperate with us. We must take it upon ourselves to stir ourselves up. Our hearts must be in tune with God and He must have a manifestation of love in our heart and of faithfulness to His cause before He can trust us with His blessing and His power.

The great call to God's people all over the world today is to stir themselves up to take hold of God! If we do this, God will come down and manifest His presence.

Whosoever you are, recognize the tremendous importance of prayer. See the crying need for the presence of God, and acknowledge there is only one way to get God's presence manifested and that is for you, through real, intercessory, prevailing prayer, to stir yourself up to take hold of God. If you will do that, God will manifest Himself.

Resolve this very moment that, by God's grace, you are not going to shirk the battle. You can expect when you start on this line, to meet a tremendous opposition from the devil--a real conflict before you will ever be able to pray through to glorious victory.

You can expect the devil to beset you on every hand, to oppose you in every way possible, and to do everything in his power to choke you down and to discourage you, but brother, sister, pray through! Face the battle and fight it through to the finish!

Get on your face before God and stay there until you have taken hold of God. If you feel yourself getting drowsy, or your mind wandering, take an attitude against your own flesh. Like Daniel, set your face unto the Lord, and with purpose of heart and all the determination of your soul, stir yourself up to take hold of God!

2006/10/21 13:07Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re: Stirring Ourselves To Prayer

Quote:
The greatest lack among God's people is that of travailing prayer. We should be reminded that there has never been a Holy Ghost revival in the history of the world that has not been prayed down! And the praying had to be prevailing prayer--prayer that was desperate; prayer that stirred people up to such fervency of spirit that they fairly took hold of God.

Quote:
Get on your face before God and stay there until you have taken hold of God.

2007/9/12 21:57Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Brother this makes me cry. Oh God stire your people to really cry out..

May God give me his grace to have a spirit of determination of prayer. Oh we at war, I am willing battle in prayer? Beloved this hard battle, but he is with us. Let set our hearts to pray, to cry out. Come Lord Come with his mighty power. His fire.

All day I struggle, I have to keep crying out for grace to pray.. I need him to pray.

Thank you so much...
Come lets learn what real prayer is
come lets dear to tast the Holiness of God
Come lets cry out
Come lets pray

In His Love
charlene

2007/9/12 22:31Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

How sweet and dangerous to be in the presence of God. This what has been gripping me I pray I cry and weep. But sometimes I just pray. But have I went into the fearful and dangerous and holy presence of God? This is longing of my heart. That I just don’t come and pray. Oh I want to taken away by God. This has been the very cry of my heart. It is my deepest desire. “ Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD and when I saw it I fell on my face and I heard the voice of the speaking” Ezekiel 1:28

How I long to see and know my Lord. “I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" Then might be that I might see this sight of my Holy God, then might I say ..."Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"
“Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: "Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for."
Wow is me this wicked sinner. The more I see Christ in his holiness the more I see my wickedness. What a amazing thing with when we get a little sight of God, through his word, when praying..
Also I have found that in the presence of God there is the fullness of joy.. What better place to be then with God. Oh we can talk about, bu doesn’t it show with our devotion to make time for him? So pray starts with the simple heart love of wanting to be with God.. If we struggle even maybe our love has grown cold and idols are hiding in the dark harden part of our hearts? Even in our weakness God can renew us and pour power out and make our love a new. How much do we want God it simply some down to what we hunger for, what we are willing to give up for the Cross. What are willing to give to pray? But we must have longing in our hearts? We must want God? We must be done with our ways? Oh how I wish this could be heard in each heart like a sword it would go forth and hit our hearts. That we love our God with all, mind, soul, heart. And come loving to talk and be with more then all lives joy.

But it is true my heart is cold, my love is weak. My desire is not burning so. I am happy with this? Oh may it not be. I want my God. I want to taken to my face. I want to be humble and see that face of God. What idols what sin, most I cast side. What has hindered my fire? I do remember I prayed at a time everyday. God make this fire hotter and hotter. But it is True I need Gods “ manifested presence would break down every barrier and sweep away everything that hindered” When I think of fire it burn things up, May the holy fire of God burn my flesh. It is known that fear of is beginning of wisdom, May I really have a Holy fear of God. I left with the question were have I become lukewarm? For this appalling to me me. Then at that let be I should confess such coldness of heart. Wow is me. Amen that man ways will change nothing. It is all Christ coming down and taking hold of our heart. It all about God. Nothing of man. Amen.. So that in the end it will be said great it the Lord. For his honor for his name he works and moves in the hearts of men. Face down is where we are found. Tear down our idols and may Christ rein.
If so this is the truth God awaits our humbling and prayers. Why are waiting? We are not obeying him? Are we not in sin if we are praying?

So what does prevailing prayers look like? How can a man have effectual prayers? How does one person how “prayer that was desperate; prayer that stirred people up to such fervency of spirit that they fairly took hold of God.I have seen many times in revival meetings when God's Spirit began to move on people whose hearts were open, and who were hungry for God until that heavenly urge was upon them, and they would pray all night long, wrestling with God like Jacob of old! (Gen. 32:24-30).”

“I have seen such tremendous results come after such travailing prayer that I am certain that wherever there is real travailing prayer that takes hold of God, it will bring the presence of God down.”

How is this, to gain such a longing in our heart?

What truth is it that we are in a great battle. “, and knowing this, he will do anything and everything in the world that he can to choke down a real spirit of Holy Ghost praying. The devil knows that if we recognize that prayer is a real battle, we would be willing to fight in the battle of prayer and not give down because of the pressure of the enemy." For that reason the devil has camouflaged his movements in these days, and he is making a battleground in other places.The devil gets us disputing over doctrines, and fighting over other things--a camouflage to sidetrack us from the real place of battle. There is only one real battleground today and that is the battleground of prayer!”

"God demands a real heart of love in us that has a true interest in His work. He is looking for that heart of love before He can cooperate with us. We must take it upon ourselves to stir ourselves up. Our hearts must be in tune with God and He must have a manifestation of love in our heart and of faithfulness to His cause before He can trust us with His blessing and His power."

"Whosoever you are, recognize the tremendous importance of prayer. See the crying need for the presence of God, and acknowledge there is only one way to get God's presence manifested and that is for you, through real, intercessory, prevailing prayer, to stir yourself up to take hold of God. If you will do that, God will manifest Himself."

"Get on your face before God and stay there until you have taken hold of God. If you feel yourself getting drowsy, or your mind wandering, take an attitude against your own flesh. Like Daniel, set your face unto the Lord, and with purpose of heart and all the determination of your soul, stir yourself up to take hold of God!"

I grown cold in the devotion of my prayer. I have let my sin enslave me. It is true “ whatever over comes a person he enslave to” Should I be appalled that I can say.. I was on fire..I did pray.. But .. But... Oh should I cry out of how been enslaved and a fool to let other things come into my prayer time.. Yes appalled is to light of what could say at such a thing. Yet still I know my heart is still cold in some areas. So what I am do, when I want yet there is still hardiness and sin that keeps from doing what I called to do? This all I can do is cry for more grace to see my sin, and ask to humble this prideful heart. And to turn from my sins. Cast down my many lovers. And Let him take his place in my heart and time.
I am one who stand for truth, I will not comprise what God puts on my heart. I am not one to say what is evil as good. But this is a great power my beloved when we come and pray. If you desire to learn to the greater depth of loving other, then get on your face for them. DO you disagree with then pray for them, asking the word for God that will help them. You want to gain a love that is willing to die, this we must be willing to pray for each other. So we can pray. Paul talks of much prayers that grip my heart. How little we love, for we pray so little and with little passion. There is passion in Paul prayer for the beloved.
Can I share what God has done in this great battle of prayer.. What will happen if we started praying with Holiness? Men come against you, things come up, I have seen it everything has come against me to stop me from praying. Maybe in my good health it seemed I was strong and had self control and fought to pray. Oh how I gave my self to pray. I woke up early and went and pray for four hours everyday. And work and do other things. I gave my self to hours and hours to prayer. Not because I had to but God said to pray. But Satan was working to brake me down. Slowly bring a little sin here and there, I was being fooled and blinded to his ways. My sins have now kept from praying as I should. I am sick in my body which has played a huge part in this great battled. More then being sick with this sickness oh I am sick at heart for I have not prayed face down, taken into holy presence of God. Now I sick at heart for sin has come and striped me and often weaken me to pray. Letting life and even things that seem good to take away that which should be guarded with my life. Now taken to lightly. I confess in my sickness I have lots some of that fire, yet God by his grace keep firing me heart to pray. I have prayed and prayed, as I am sure some many others have. But I long for more. To brought into to Him..In all His glory.
Just a few weeks ago, it hit my heart, What would a life be look like if one prayed so much that it changed their face, it was said they died sooner for they prayed with all their hearts. What if people would look at you and say you have been praying? Can it show us on one face who prays like that?

What I have seen that has kept from fighting with all I have? This my beloved, hear this. His word has been and his still my strength. When have his word in my heart and go over it, I can pray. But not me praying the Holy Spirit takes hold of me and speak through me. But without the word I am wondering child not knowing what to say. He helps when I am weak, and helps in my sickness. But weaker I get the greater I feel I need his word and prayer. And more I see It all about His grace that helps me to pray. There is nothing great about me, worse of all sinners. It is his grace that makes me stand and pray. Oh hear this, I am nothing, I am sick child of God. Who is sick all day. Who struggle with this and that. I am no better. It is grace this gift of God, that helps those who cry for his help. He is faithful and will hear. When we confess our sins. He is faithful and just to forgive. Then he is ear are open to our prayers. There is a great battle, who is willing to step out in faith? How much we long for God to come down Hear this we must say I will pray, I will make time for him. Nothing can come in that time. But it is true if you are going pray get ready to battle.
But I agree that battle waits for us to join, who willing to step out and pray?
“Let us see to this, and seeing God is pleased with prayer,
OFFER IT TO HIM MORE AND MORE. And remember if we do so,, we shall find a
blessing in it ourselves. The more we pray, the more we can pray. The more we pray, the more we
shall pray. He who prays little will pray less, but he who prays much
will pray more. And remember that prayer is effectual with God. We want
to see souls saved”

LET US BLEND OUR PRAYERS

“If united prayer is sweet to God, let us give Him MUCH of it. We
cannot make God happier than He is in reality, for He is the infinitely
happy God. Yet, if there is anything concerning which He expresses
satisfaction, let us abound in it. O church of God, cry day and night to
Him. If your voice, O spouse, is sweet in His ears, turn not away your
face and let not your voice be silent. But cry, and even in the night
watches, pour out your heart like water before the Lord God.”

“." The prayers of a saint are sweet, but the
prayers of saints are sweeter. United prayers possess the power of
harmony. In music there is melody in any distinct note, but we have all
recognized a peculiar charm in harmony. Now the prayers of one saint are
to God melody, but the intercessions of many are harmony, and to God
there is much that is pleasing in the harmony of His people's prayers.”

In hIS LOVE
CHARLENE
EDITED

2007/9/13 19:56Profile
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Awesome and timely post Greg... thank you for this.

I'm getting ready to put out my second issue of POWERLINE and was asking the Lord for some encouragment on how to direct this issue...once again you are being used as his messenger.

2007/9/14 8:33Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Amen. I echo everyone else on this thread. Thanks for posting it.

Who is it by?

2007/9/14 9:57Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

Ditto!

One of the posters said, "If we struggle even maybe our love has grown cold and idols are hiding in the dark harden part of our hearts?"

Greg, thank you dear brother, as has already been said, for letting God use your vessel to speak His call.
You made mention of the distractions of the devil. Surely, that is his business. But I think far greater damage is done by the line above. It's the riches and cares of this world that choke off the Word, and keep it from bearing fruit.
I know I'm not alone when I say that the thought of praying all night seems like such a mountainous labor. Why? Many reasons of course. But one thing that makes it a labor is that I have far too many distractions in my life. Too many idols that I'm involved in every day that are substitutes for my relationship with God or lack thereof. So I begin to pray, with the purist of intentions, and then "bam", it hits me. My mind has wandered to other things, things I've been close too of late. Things that have been my passion. Things that been my burden. Not necessarily bad things. Just things other than the presence of God.
So this is where my battle lies, to stay in His presence undistracted. Oh God, how undone I am. As I look back over my life, it is those times when I have "simplified" my life, that I have been closest to God. I went on a "stuff fast", a "media fast", a "news and events" fast, a "lust fast". I filled in the time with Bible reading, listening too and singing with anointed music and worshipping God. He spoke to me, and I spoke to Him......sometimes. The closer I got to God, the less I spoke to Him, because He will quickly bring to our attention that in Him there is no lack. So when I was close to Him, my "needs list" began to shrink. I just wanted more of Him and I trusted Him to take care of me as He saw fit, whether I understood Him and His way or not. I was revived. I need to be revived again.
So what happened? I was afraid you might ask. I too looked at the "world today", more, "the church today". I too saw it as being as dismal as in Isaiah's day, Jonah's day, even Jesus' day. I let myself be talked into resting. I let myself be talked into a bit of amusement and entertainment. I let the appetites of my flesh be awakened and aroused once again. I found myself back on the super slide, that only goes one way. Down!
So, I know that in reading this message today, God has once again been merciful to me in providing the supply for the need. I had a need, and He used you to supply it. I know I'm not the only one. But I just wanted to take time to let you know that I am one.....who has been reminded that my world is much too cluttered with distractions to pray earnestly for even a few seconds without distractions. I need to simplify my life once again. I need to repent, and cry out to God for mercy all over again....that I may lay on my face in a pool of tears in awe of Him.

with fear and trembling,

"O"

2007/9/24 8:18Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy