SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : question about a quote

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spitfire

question about a quote

In the last few days I heard someone on the local Christian radio station quoting someone else. The said something along the lines, "[i]True greatness requires the luxury of leisure[/i]/" They were talking about how people are rushing around these days. Does anyone here know who said something like that?

I was so convicted in that few moments of hearing the tail end of a topic. I have been seeing clearly in just the past couple of days that I don't truly abide in Christ. I have been relying upon myself for my own preservation and provision. I'm tired and have often felt the "victim" because I've worked hard and have no time for myself and have no more security than ever. I certainly don't have the luxury of leisure! In fact, I see no light at the end of the tunnel. I admit that I do not know how to rest in God, at all! I have slapped at life as I've run from the devil. I've done nothing with excellence, as excellence requires time and patience. I've lived my whole life like a woman running a gauntlet. I can't take it anymore. Dian.

2006/10/17 6:22Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: question about a quote

Ever heard the phrase 'busy doing nothing'?

In this day and age of mod cons, it seems that we don't have time for anything.

I refuse to say I'm busy, unless I actually am.

Some people are so 'busy' watching t.v., surfing the internet, phoning, and phoning, and phoning everyone and talking about nothing, living on 'fast food', because they don't have the 'time' to cook, but they have the money to waste on junk.

God help us to prioritise our day. Him first.

God is not the first thing in our life, He is our life. If we neglect Him, we can neglect anything else, it won't matter, because it is not important. It is not important because it is not eternal, like our job, friends etc.

I have found that when I start the day with God, things seem to flow. Even if things go wrong, my attitude keeps in tune with the word of God.

1 Cor 10v13 Therefore, whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

God bless.

2006/10/17 6:40Profile
Spitfire

Re: my dilemma

My problem is, I don't know how to change. It seems that I've been in this vein of chasing after a living my whole life. I honestly don't know what my life would look like if I were to stop. I remembered this morning that I had made a decision in my late twenties to sell a business I owned and stay at home with my children. My husband and I were in agreement. We were both genuinely attempting to trust God with our provision. It was a major flop. We lost our home to foreclosure and almost went bankrupt. I think I immediately determined that we had acted in presumption and I would [i]never[/i] do that again.

Now, I don't know how to trust God or myself. I mean, how much of the work is my responsibility and how much is God's. I'm afraid of being lazy or presumptuous. Dian.

2006/10/17 7:39Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Psalm 34v6, 'This poor man cried out, AND THE LORD HEARD HIM, amd saved him out of all his troubles'.

I love that scripture! It makes me give up!

On myself.

Back when we were in our twenties, we lost our home, through not knowing how to handle our finances. We were both working with a young 2 year old.

Now, we are both still working, but I work from home, and it is so much better, and better earnings than going out to work.

Life isn't about money though.

I've learnt some things over the years.

Most people think of the scripture, trust in the Lord with all your heart, and leave it at that. They don't put it into practice.

Last week, I said to God, how come I don't witness like I used to? With working from home, you don't get to see a variety of people every day.

That very day, I happened to go out, and guess what? Need I say more?

Psalm 51v17, 'The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart, these, O God, You will not despise.'

My advise, give up!

Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.

God bless.

2006/10/17 9:03Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Hi Dian,

Quote:
I'm tired and have often felt the "victim" because I've worked hard and have no time for myself and have no more security than ever.

The enemy seeks to wear out the Saints in these last days. Those who desire to please the Lord are particularly [i]vulnerable[/i] to this. Constantly hearing in your ears, "your not doing enough! your not holy enough! your not this enough or that enough!" and it leads to total despair. This is the enemies work.

One of the hardest things for me to accept was that God loves me and I don't have to keep proving I'm saved. I was raised under the strictest and most unloving version of Christianity you could imagine. It just filtered down in the family and it destroyed many people, I think. When I heard John 3:16 it seemed that God loved everyone but me. Just being honest. In my heart I know I am a child of God, but the enemy has used a lot of well meaning people to challenge what I know to be true and it causes tremendous despair and a sense of never quite measuring up. Hence, 'running the guantlet'.

Did you know that potassium is essential for your survival? But too much of it will KILL you. There is something wrong with us if we can't preach a balanced Gospel. Seriously. This is why fields 'burn over'. I have always struggled to view God as a loving Father on a [i]consistent[/i] basis. In one ear I hear wrathful Judge and the other ABBA Father. If I measure up to perfection at this moment He is my ABBA Father. If I transgress my conscience He is my wrathful Judge. This is what it is to keep people moving along using [u]fear[/u]. A fear motivated relationship with God does not allow one to really 'rest' in Christ. This is the theological spider web I am trying to unwind in my spiritual life.

We recently suffered a terrible tragedy in another state of a Pastor resigning his church and committing suicide. What horrible things would lead to that? What questionings? Depression and sickness is all we have to go on as far as I know. But we need to understand that God [u]does[/u] love His children. He will lead us and chasten us. We have to be balanced in our spiritual lives or we will despair. Be encouraged! God cares and He loves us. We can truly rest in Him.

2006/10/17 9:05Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Dian,

Quote:
My husband and I were in agreement. We were both genuinely attempting to trust God with our provision.

Praise God for your husband who was genuinely attempting to trust God. Allow him to be your stronghold, submit to him and continue joining in the Lord Jesus together, in prayers and in study.

Quote:
I don't know how to trust God or myself. I mean, how much of the work is my responsibility and how much is God's. I'm afraid of being lazy or presumptuous. Dian.

You sound so much like me, please only to trust God alone, we sort of can't trust both , it doesn't work that way , I have tried too many times ,won't work, we cannot do both. We must trust God alone, as Christians, our confidence come from the Father in Christ when we fear and trust Him.

[color=0000FF]Psalm 118:8
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man
Proverbs 3:26
For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
Proverbs 14:26
In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge.[/color]

Quote:
I'm afraid of being lazy or presumptuous

Oh, this is so me,you see, when you and I trust God, satan comes along and start whispering all kinds of lies to our ears, nanananaanan..you are this, you are that...

More and more throughout history, I supposed this world has convinced us women to take control of life. That [i]we [/i]are to build a life for ourselves and our children alone, all by ourselves. Lean on our husbands, (that's what God gives us husbands for!:)) Especially with those who are of the Lord.

[color=0000FF]
Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. [/color]

hmm, if you have time, aside from delving into the Bible, see if you can read or re-read George Mueller's biography

Thanks for letting me encouraging myself this way..will be praying.

in Christ

2006/10/17 11:00Profile
roadsign

Re: "The Pressure's Off"

Dian, You are soooooooooo not alone in your struggle! If I were to hazzard a guess, I'd say that many of us have been there, are there, or else will be there in the future. We come to the point where we realize that life simply doesn't work. We feel like we are on a treadmill. We want to get off, but don't know how.

___
I wonder if I understand the quote you posted. Let me take a stab at it: When our minds are free from clutter, pressure, and worries then we are free to be creative, we are free to think. Art, music, literature, creative works and projects flow from a free and relaxed mind.

But when our minds are hounded by all kinds of pressuring voices, then we don't have freedom. It's not so much a matter of our circumstances, as the way we mentally process life.

There is an excellent book that I think you would find most refreshing, called "The Pressure's Off" by Larry Crabb.

I recommend that you get it. I bought some copies for friends who are approaching their mid-life and are getting discouraged that life hasn't worked the way they hoped. They are ready to let go of all their expectations of life, and consider God's more restful way. When I get time I will post a few quotes from the book.

"Our souls are restless until they find rest in Christ."

Diane

2006/10/17 15:04Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Dear friends I too feel as if I cannot go on any longer. Though I know it is not I, but Christ, I have been beset by seeing failures in the church, and most painful in myself.
My heart is like ice, I yearn for GOD.
I am tired of trivial messages, yet I cannot grasp the simplicity of Christ.
I would throw in the towel, but oh how worthy my Jesus is and to whom would I turn?
I am flanked by those who seek to emerge apart from the faith once delivered(my wife Being one of them), yet I hold fast to the old paths and suffer.
Seriously, there are times where I feel as if I am going insane. I can understand how a person would want out. But He is worthy to be trusted, and praised.
I will pray for you all, and please if you could do the same for me I would covet that.

2006/10/17 16:15Profile
kathyclark

Alabama

Re:

I can certaily identify with you hearts cry. You must know that there are a great many fields to glean from and if you aren't getting touched by the shallow messages look further. I would suggest going to www.irismin.org and reading the messages and viewing the videos offered there by Rolland and Heidi Baker. Also check out Kingsley Fletcher and David Wilkerson for starters.

The devil would have us think that there is just fluff and no substance, but it is a lie. God has always had his 7000 how have not bowed the knee to baal. He always will. There are always going to be a remmant that a real gold digger can search out and be fed by.

God doesn't want you to be discouraged. Remember you become what you behold. If you behold the seeming failures around you you will be discouraged, but if you behold Jesus you will become like Him.. Keep on keeping on brother.

I too have been very tempted to be discouraged. I hate the bless me gospel that is being held up the the USA church. It doesn't preach in Mozambique or China. But there are some real messages out there. Look for the vein of gold and you will most surely find it. Deep calls unto deep. Kathy

2006/10/18 0:05Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Great replies folks.

Here is a site I haven't visted in awhile

http://www.enterhisrest.org/

That the Lord might grant us the ability of entering it. My prayers with all.

2006/10/18 0:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy