SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : They?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Logic

They?

[b]Rev 12:6[/b] [color=990000]And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that [b]they[/b] should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.[/color]

Who are "they" which "should feed her there 1260 days?

2006/10/16 10:37Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: They?

Haven't the first idea!

However, in Rev 11v3 it says, 'And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth'.

Are they the 'they' that we are speaking of?

Also in Rev 12v14 it says 'But the woman was given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place, where she is nourished for a time and times and half a time, from the presence of the serpent.'

I looked in a commentary and that particular part of the scripture was not addressed.

Sorry I can't help. I'd like to know myself!

God bless.

2006/10/16 10:58Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Logic,

Interesting. I was reading the text around this verse, I think it might just be the two witnesses that Enid mentioned in chapter 11, or the angels.

I looked in my commentary by EWB, and there was no mentioning of who they are either.

2006/10/16 22:58Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Re:

You may get some clues from these sermons on Revelation 12 by Edgar Parkyns (here on SermonIndex):

Church History - Session 8 (The Book of Revelation: a historic sequence) by Edgar F. Parkyns
Revelation 12 by Edgar F. Parkyns

If you have time to give them a listen, the context of Rev 12 is carefully given, which would be needful in understanding who "they" are :-) Of course, this book is hotly disputed by many depending upon which eschatological position one views it from. Parkyns takes a view that much of Revelation has already passed into history.

2006/10/16 23:19Profile
Logic

Re: They?

[b]Rev 12:5-6[/b] [color=990000]And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all [b]nations[/b] with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
[b]:6[/b] And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that [b]they[/b] should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days[/color]

Could the "they" be the nations?
It would seem so, for any time one uses the word they, it referes to the last subject mentioned.

In other words, "And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that [b]the nations[/b] should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days

To but this passage in context;
[b]Revelation 12:1-6[/b] [color=990000]And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:[/color]
This sign is referring to Israel and is a reference to Josephs’ dream, but, accept for having eleven stars, this has twelve which would include Joseph.(Gen 37:9)

[b]:2[/b] [color=990000]And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.[/color]
this Child is a reference to the Messiah

[b]:3[/b] [color=990000]And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.[/color]
This is another sign or wonder but not a different one altogether; it is referring to Lucifer and his rebellion that took a third of the angles with him. See next verse

[b]:4[/b] [color=990000]And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
[b]:5[/b] And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.[/color]
This is the ascension of Christ.

What happend to Israel after His assention?
When the Temple was destroyed in A.D. 70 the period of the second exile began. The Jewish people were soon to be scattered throughout the earth. (see next verse) For the next 1900 years the Jews would have no authority in the land God gave to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

[b]:6[/b] [color=990000]And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that [b]they[/b][/color](the nations through out the Earth) [color=990000]should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.[/color]

2006/10/17 10:51Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Logic,

Yes, the nations make a lot of sense. Especially in light of Israel, (the 'woman' representative of Israel? )throughout the entire Bible, the two distinct human entities, you know, Israel and the nations(gentiles).

I think you answered your own question. The two witnesses and angels didn't fit, with all these verses in view.

thanks !

2006/10/17 11:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy