SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Finney Criticism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamezosn

Mexico City

Finney Criticism

I was in wikipedia doing some research on Finney,when I saw that there was a debate on another page. I went to it and was shocked at what I read, I know many people dont agree with much of Finneys theology, but to go this far? To question his salvation and say he did not preach or beleive the gospel... Is this a commonly held beleif? I was wondering what the opinions are here on SI.

[b]Quote[/b]"Moreover, Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, rather than a place to air particular points of view. Like you, I am not a fan of Finney's theology. He did not preach the gospel and did not believe the gospel. I honestly think he aint in heaven. But even though this is my own personal belief (and probably yours)."

2006/10/12 14:08Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re: Finney Criticism

I love Finney, he is one of the greatest preachers of all time!

2006/10/12 15:19Profile
TrueWitness

I had a similar reaction as yours James when I read what was reported about him on this webpage:

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/articles/finney.htm

I was just shocked. First time I had ever heard criticism of Finney. If these things said about him are true, did he not touch on these subjects in his preaching?

2006/10/12 15:36Profile
myfirstLove

finney was definitely a prophet preacher. he was very gifted in helping many see their evil motives, the true intent of the heart. we need more men like finney who knows how to use the sword of the Word with the power of His Spirit to cut men's heart and expose their wickedness.

2006/10/12 15:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hi James,

Just a point of clarification, this was posted under the A.W. Tozer section, I am assuming this was accidental?

2006/10/12 15:59Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

It's a fearful thing to dishonor the name of God's anointed. Though Finney sleeps in Christ, there will be a day of reckoning where every disparaging remark will march against the tongues that hurled them, and God will Himself avenge.

James, I wouldn't waste any time with these discernment watchdogs and/or armchair theologians whose public railments condemn them. They not only curse Charles Finney (who lead thousands upon thousands to Jesus Christ with genuine salvation) but they'll come against [i]anyone[/i] usually who is not of their own rotten brand of Calvinism (or whatever elite theology they subscribe to).

Wow, I hope this hasn't opened a can of worms! I'm not looking for a fight; I'm just warning a brother to steer clear of the plethora of cheap junk out there on the internet.

Brother Paul

2006/10/12 16:35Profile
Jacob19

Re:

Its funny to me how many people criticize him and haven't actually ever read anything by Finney. If they read any of his sermons or books they would obviously soon realize that he was an amazing communicator of the Gospel of Christ and was definately not a false prophet.

2006/10/12 19:25Profile
SteveNoel

Michigan

Re:

I ran into alot of this criticism of Finney about a year ago. I've found that it's the same people who criticized him in his day. The Reformed branch of theology dislikes Finney. R.C. Sproul has concluded that Finney was not a Christian. He wrote,

Quote:
"In the nineteenth century, there was a preacher who became very popular in America, who wrote a book on theology, coming out of his own training in law, in which he made no bones about his Pelagianism. He rejected not only Augustinianism, but he also rejected semi-Pelagianism and stood clearly on the subject of unvarnished Pelagianism, saying in no uncertain terms, without any ambiguity, that there was no Fall and that there is no such thing as original sin. This man went on to attack viciously the doctrine of the substitutionary atonement of Christ, and in addition to that, to repudiate as clearly and as loudly as he could the doctrine of justification by faith alone by the imputation of the righteousness of Christ. This man’s basic thesis was, we don’t need the imputation of the righteousness of Christ because we have the capacity in and of ourselves to become righteous. His name: Charles Finney, one of America’s most revered evangelists. Now, if Luther was correct in saying that sola fide is the article upon which the Church stands or falls, if what the reformers were saying is that justification by faith alone is an essential truth of Christianity, who also argued that the substitutionary atonement is an essential truth of Christianity; if they’re correct in their assessment that those doctrines are essential truths of Christianity, the only conclusion we can come to is that Charles Finney was not a Christian. I read his writings and I say, “I don’t see how any Christian person could write this.” And yet, he is in the Hall of Fame of Evangelical Christianity in America. He is the patron saint of twentieth-century Evangelicalism. And he is not semi-Pelagian; he is unvarnished in his Pelagianism."

2006/10/12 21:14Profile
jamezosn

Mexico City

Re:

Well Its nice to know Im not alone! I personally like alot of what Finney has said, and to say these things about a man that was so powerfully used...(regardless of denomination) just seems so wrong.

yes it was accidental, sorry about that, I was reading an article in A.W. Tozers forum when I decided to post this thread, not thinking about it until it had been posted, sorry!

2006/10/12 23:01Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Quote:
This man went on to attack viciously the doctrine of the substitutionary atonement of Christ, and in addition to that, to repudiate as clearly and as loudly as he could the doctrine of justification by faith alone by the imputation of the righteousness of Christ. This man’s basic thesis was, we don’t need the imputation of the righteousness of Christ because we have the capacity in and of ourselves to become righteous.

Charles Finney didn't really believe in such trash did he?

2006/10/13 1:20Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy