SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Barna, Comfort & McLaren?!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: ormly........

Quote:

bartle wrote:
Quote:
Have you ever heard him speak?

noooooo, have you?

Indeed, I have and there is a plethora of sites and information concerning him and his post-modern-ism thinking concerning the church. I don't believe the man is a Christian, period. Here's a link to what all this is about, if you are interested:

http://www.professionalserve.com/doublespeak/index96IAR.html

2006/10/11 6:19
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well after listening and reading some, i agree... he is not christian....

2006/10/11 8:11Profile

Orm2

you wrote:

Quote:
I don't believe the man is a Christian, period.

okay, I don't know hardly anything about him, but if say so....okay, he's not a christian.

Just think, in the good ole days, we could get a holy and righteous mob togther and burn him at the stake.

True, it would an ugly but neccesary job, after all, we must defend the faith...right?

2006/10/11 12:43

Re: hmmhmm

Quote:
he is not christian

there's a second witness!

Boys, we got the makings of a mob, now we just need some good oak wood, some cured, some green, so you get some smoke going, and then we can grab up this apostate.

But remember lads, its our godly duty to give this hellbound apostate a chance to recant and repent of his ways. Its only right.

I nominate Ormly to be the chief inquistor, Orm, whadaya think? Should we "encourage" him to take all his books and toss them into the fire, and then we make him say the Apostles Creed, or is it the Nicene Creed, I get so confused.

But we have to make him say something that shows his true repentance, some kind of profession of orthodoxy...and if he refuses, we gottta do what we gotta do, after all we HAVE to defend the faith.

But I got a small heart tug though, I really don't know hardly anything about him at all, but Orm knows, so I'll trust him and go along with the mob, its the safe thing to do.

2006/10/11 12:51

true witness

thanks for posting those articles, I'm reading the first one, trying very hard to understand what they are saying.

I like Mark Driscoll and understood what he said......and I know "pantheism"...means "many gods", which to this Jewish follower of Jesus is an anathema.....but lemme read on.

I hope the other lads knew I was ribbing about the "burning at the stake" thingy.

thanks for the post.

bartle

2006/10/11 13:04

Re:

Quote:

bartle wrote:
But I got a small heart tug though, I really don't know hardly anything about him at all, but Orm knows, so I'll trust him and go along with the mob, its the safe thing to do.

I wouldn't trust the mob, Blind Bart. :-o

The way things are looking, the mob will soon be coming after us. :-?

2006/10/11 14:56
Compton

Re:

I don't know if I am the mob or the outcast half the time...

For what it's worth Bartle, awhile back I left a post with my own honest thoughts on the subject. What I shared then was not a hasty reaction against anyone...I was sincerely attracted to the Emergent church for several valid reasons but in the end I could not fully 'buy-in.' Although I have some empathy for their critique of modern evangelicals, the emergent theological and philosophical solutions to the problems in the modern church are simply too indifferent to scripture for me to swallow.

The Emergent Christians like McClaren accuse traditional evangelicals of being too fixated on doctrine. He casts evangelicals as as being too suppositional or merely parroting empty 'positionalism' and not being honest and contemplative enough for real people searching for God in the 21st century.

Vital spiritual experience is said to be more important then correct theology. Yet, inspite of the arguments and divisions sparked from denominational differences over theology, theology does ultimately matter. The Good News is in fact theological...God himself is certainly beyond the boxes of any one culture, but still His condescending revelation to man is faithfully contained in the primitive confines of our written language...as such the post-modern emphasis on subjective experience with God over an objective and rational knowledge of scripture can lead a person away from a biblical understanding of God.

This doesn't mean that I fear or despise Brian McClaren. In fact I'm confident he is a well meaning guy. In spite of my disagreements with his conclusions, I think he has raised some excellent concerns about some modern trends in the church, and I certainly don't want to burn him at the stake ;-)

Anyways here is my older post on [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7695&forum=36#58509]my own look at the emergent church[/url]

Blessings brother,

MC

2006/10/11 19:13Profile

Orm

Quote:
The way things are looking, the mob will soon be coming after us

well Praise God then!!

we'll be in pain and torture for anywhere from 2 to 16 hours, that won't be too much fun, but after that crucible, I call "first!" to go and pray with Paul, and the others.

2006/10/11 20:25

aw c'mon Compy

Quote:
I certainly don't want to burn him at the stake

you aint no fun, I thought thats what s'posed to done with them hereticks, isnt that what they did in the old days?

oh man, your taking all the fun out of religion!!

2006/10/11 20:31
Compton

Re: aw c'mon Compy

Quote:
I thought thats what s'posed to done with them hereticks, isnt that what they did in the old days

It is true that in the 17th and 18th century many heretics were burned alive, or at least had their toungues pierced with a hot nail. Today we are much more sensible with heretics....we give them lucrative publishing deals. :knockedout:

(I'm just kidding.)

(Well, no I'm not.):-P

By the way, I'm not sure that the label 'heretic' is even politically-correct these days. I think modern heretics prefer to be called "metro-spiritual" persons.:-D

MC

2006/10/12 2:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy