SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Prayer for a brother

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Prayer for a brother

I would like to request prayer for a dear brother named Toby who suffers from mental illness.

About a month ago he decided to take it by faith that God had healed him of his illness and he stopped taking his medication cold turkey. As a result he has slipped into a bad mental state; speaking with him is like talking to a whole different person, it is difficult to carry on a coherent conversation.

I'm also concerned about demonic influence because there are a lot of evil thoughts proceeding from his mouth and he has admitted to suicidal thoughts. I don't believe a born-again believer can be possessed but I do think there can be demonic influences. I don't have alot of experience in this area so I'm also praying for wisdom and discernment to understand what is going on.

Please pray for him.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/10/6 10:47Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Prayer for a brother

Ron,

I will be praying, just trust in the Lord

God Bless

2006/10/6 10:53Profile
HeartSong

Ron,

I will pray for Toby.
Here is a link to a sermon by Zac Poonen - "Overcoming Satan"

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4270

It may help shed some light on the situation.

In His Love.

2006/10/6 11:50Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Here is a link to a sermon by Zac Poonen - "Overcoming Satan"

Outstanding!, thank you.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/10/6 13:01Profile

Hi Ron,

Is Toby back on his medication, yet? It sounds as if he needs it.... and a lot more spiritual help than one person can give.

I will be praying you have wisdom.

Also, I suggest the demonic influences you perceive will be living in his inner woundednesses. Healing, as Jesus offered the multitudes, is likely to precede him being able to deal with the other spiritual aspects which attend. I know there are those who strongly believe in pushing a person to say they forgive, but I can't find any support for Jesus saying this to the sick, or a person struggling with demonic oppression. Can you?

Also, be encouraged.... the multitude [i]came[/i] to [u]Jesus[/u]. So did Legion - he RAN. Toby's more constructive recourse is to the Lord Himself... not to giving up his medications, or spending time talking with other Christians.

I hope Toby is not under pressure from [i]Christians[/i] to give up his meds.....?

Further, Toby needs to give up looking for or trying alternatives to going through the Door.

2006/10/6 17:52
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Also, I suggest the demonic influences you perceive will be living in his inner woundednesses. Healing, as Jesus offered the multitudes, is likely to precede him being able to deal with the other spiritual aspects which attend. I know there are those who strongly believe in pushing a person to say they forgive, but I can't find any support for Jesus saying this to the sick, or a person struggling with demonic oppression. Can you?

No, I suppose not, and if any dealing with unforgiveness issues needs to be done it can't really start until he's back on meds, which I'm told he started again yesterday. It is very possible that he may harbor unforgiveness for his father of whom he has spoken of as a vile man who beat Toby often as a child. However, this was said by Toby while in a mentally unstable state therefore I am not certain of its veracity.

Quote:
Also, be encouraged.... the multitude came to Jesus. So did Legion - he RAN. Toby's more constructive recourse is to the Lord Himself... not to giving up his medications, or spending time talking with other Christians.

Yes, nothing could be more constructive for any of us, regardless of mental condition. This is where we need to point Toby.

Quote:
I hope Toby is not under pressure from Christians to give up his meds.....?

No, this is something he took upon himself to do. He did ask some pastors to pray for his physical well being and then afterwards he decided to quit the meds, but to my knowledge no one made any suggestions that he should do so.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/10/6 18:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy