SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Really knowing God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
nwlaz

California

Re: I meet alot of folks who are busy for God, but not many who are at His feet.

I was told by a friend once that your ministry is not your spirituality. Its something I try to remind myself when I feel like I'm busy with the work of the church.

2006/10/3 20:44Profile
Spitfire

Re: knowing about him, but not knowing him

Quote:
Also, I think you can get all the Bible training in the world (which I'm not saying is a bad thing). And still have never really gotten to know God. Rather, have just found out lots of things about Him.

What is the key? Why is it that so many people know about Him, but don't know Him? I knew a man once who read the entire Bible thru 6 times a year. He was an amazing teacher, but I could tell that he didn't know God. It was all just head knowledge. His household fell apart. He advised me to leave my abusive husband, at the time.

When I first realized how spiritually bankrupt I was, even after a lifetime in church, I read a book by E.W. Kenyon called [u]Two Kinds of Righteousness[/u]. This little book opened my eyes to just how far off base I really was. He defines righteousness this way:
[i]The ability to stand in the presence of the Father God without the sense of guilt or inferiority.[/i]
I'm still struggling with this and Kenyon says the problem is not knowing who and what you are in Christ. I think I'm beginning to get it, but it's like searching for the light switch in a dark room. I [i]know[/i] that I am on the verge of really getting this. I can feel it. Love, Dian.

2006/10/4 6:26Profile

Re: Really knowing God

[i]Kenyon said:

Quote:
The ability to [u]stand in the presence of the Father[/u] God without the sense of guilt or inferiority[/i].

The word 'stand' reminds me of Watchman Nee's famous book on Ephesians 'Sit, Walk, Stand'. (Sit - 1:3, 2:6; Walk - 2:10, 4:1 + 17, 5:2; Stand - 6:11, 13, 14. We could add 'Speak' 6:19, 20.... but W Nee did not.)

This brings to mind two pieces of scripture which tie together the same thought from different perspectives:

(KJV) Ephesians 2
13 But [u]now in Christ Jesus[/u] ye who sometimes were far off are [u]made nigh[/u] by the blood of Christ.

14 For [u]he is our peace[/u], who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition [between us];

15 Having [u]abolished[/u] in his flesh the enmity, [even] [u]the law[/u] of commandments [contained] in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, [so] [u][b]making[/b] peace[/u];

16 And [u]that he might reconcile both unto God[/u] in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

17 [u]And came and preached peace to you[/u] which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

18 For [b]through him[/b] we both have
[b]access by one Spirit
unto the Father[/b].

and

Romans 5:1
Therefore [b]being [u]justified by faith[/b][/u],
we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2 By whom [u]also[/u] we have
[b]access by faith [/b]
into this grace [b]wherein we [u]stand[/u][/b]...

I know this doesn't answer the original question directly, but I'm not sure how we begin to enjoy the benefits of these truths, unless we appropriate them in the same terms as the hymnwriter of 'Fight the good fight' who said '[i]Lay hold on life[/i]...'.

Amen.

2006/10/4 8:46
nwlaz

California

Re: Knowing about,but not knowing

When I was first saved I had this preconcieved idea about how it was supposed to work. In my mind I had this step by step action plan on how I was going to get to "know God".
But it wasnt until I experienced God through times of brokeness and trial that I began to understand that it truely was about a relationship.

I thank God that we can approach Him through his word and through prayer. I do not claim to know the right way, but I thank Jesus Christ that through him their IS a way.

2010/3/29 21:42Profile
mguldner

Kansas

I have been working on my pride as well its a feirce opponent but in Christ all things are possible. I decided that defeating this foe will only be with Christ strength. I have been studing the Beattitudes for a while now and found something very interesting about the very first one Blessed are the Poor in Spirit for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven. Basically Blessed are th humble ie those that aren't afraid to admit they don't know everything Nor know squat compared to God. I take this beattitude this way "Blessed are the Teachable" if I don't know anything and God knows everything it requires me to have a teachable spirit ie a humble spirit recognizing that all truth and revelation I have that is of God is truly from God and therefore I have no rights to pride because I may have searched, hungered, and sought this revelation without God revealing it I am pretty much just spinning my tires. Awesome thought and may we become more teachable :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/3/30 8:32Profile
davym

Re:

I would say that it is important to spend time in prayer and Bible study in order to know God. There may be reasons why this isn’t easy for some Christians e.g. on health grounds. God in His grace will provide for these believers. For those of us who have the means to spend time in prayer and Bible study should endeavour to do it. Only then will God reveal the deeper spiritual lessons which are contained in Scripture.

It is this prayer/Bible Study combination which God uses to cleanse and renew us to become more like Christ. It is also an ‘engine room’ in effect where the Holy Spirit can empower us for service.

I think the problem many of us face is that we don’t want to die to our flesh nature. The Flesh is two pronged. There is a lot of talk about the repulsive side of our flesh i.e. lust, envy, greed etc. These are clearly areas we do battle with, but the other side is the ‘good’ side of our flesh e.g. our good deeds, our perceived moral purity. Man’s pride refuses to accept that this is unacceptable to God (Romans 8:8). But this must be mortified along with the repulsive side of our flesh.

I would suggest that the majority of what passes for Christian service today is done in the flesh and therefore unpleasing to God. Furthermore, it should be remembered that our enemy, Satan, will unceasingly attempt to lure Christians into this trap of fruitless Christian service as it serves his ends. Only once we accept that our flesh is to be crucified, in its entirety, and accept this painful death will we fit for profitable service. Then, we will be totally reliant on God. We will thirst for prayer and Bible Study.

2010/3/31 10:51Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Quote:
Do you think it's possible to really know God without spending a regular time alone in prayer and devotion?

Feedback...Do you think it is possible for me to really know my wife and truly have spiritual, emotional, or any other kind of intimacy with her without spending regular time alone with her? I guess I gave you my opinion in the form of a rhetorical question.

God desires intimacy with us, deep relationship. I don't think it is at all possible without spending time in His word, and in His presence.

I know what you mean about people thinking they know, being locked into a paradigm, and being utterly unable to see things any other way. You know, that has been me from time to time. You are right, we must be willing to allow God to break our old paradigms and reveal truth that changes us in deep and profound ways.

Travis.

2010/3/31 16:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy