SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : lukewarm Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
djones6153

lukewarm Church

I am an American and have to say something on the state of the church in the United Staes. The church in the United States is like the church of Laodicea in Rev. 3. It is lukewarm and I do not believe the Lord is pleased with what He sees in many of our churches.

It seems like the church in the United States is strong in worship services (though I sometimes wonder about the motive of the worship), teaching, and activities (busyness). But, the repentance as described in James 4:7 -10 is missing. There is no brokeness of heart and sense of sinfulness before a Holy God. The Church is full of humanism, materialism and pride. There is a lack of fervrent prayer.

I pray 2 Chronicles 7:14 for the United States churches daily. I pray that perhaps the revival in Asia and Africa would spread here.

Brokeness, sense of God's holiness and our sin and humility mark all revivals.

I thank God for this website. It includes sermons from many great men and women who have haerts for God and love to see God at work in a mighty way (revival). The sermons keep my on my knees in prayer asking for revival and the Holy Spirit's grace to live a holy and pure life before God. I want to please Him and glorify the name of Jesus.

I realize that the world is on God's heart (John 3:16) and that we must not only pray for our native countries, but the whole world. The ripples of the Welsh revival in 1905 brought revival to many parts of the world. I pray that the revivals in Africa and Asia would spread to all of Europe and North America. I have never experienced a revival, but I have freinds who have told me of the great things God is doing in Africa during visits there.

In Christ,
Dave Jones

2004/1/30 11:40Profile
moreofHim

Re: lukewarm Church

I second everything you have said. Try to tell that to the rest of America. :-(

We must all do our part to pray and let Christ really LIVE through us. It's easy for people to say all of these things but it's another for people to LIVE it -a Christ-like life.

Many want repentance, etc... but do not want to let go of their "stuff" (their rights, their views, their habits, their (man made) traditions, their own will, their own thoughts on the way it "should" be, etc...)

Lord, come and do YOUR will.

In Him, Chanin

2004/1/30 12:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I am an American and have to say something on the state of the church in the United Staes. The church in the United States is like the church of Laodicea in Rev. 3. It is lukewarm and I do not believe the Lord is pleased with what He sees in many of our churches.

[b]Revelation 3:14-22[/b] - [color=CC0000]To the Church in Laodicea "To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."[/color]

Everyone always quotes the last words of Jesus to the church was go and preach the message of the gospel.. It's NOT!! His last words to the Church was REPENT!! :-o

Quote:
There is no [b]brokeness of heart[/b] and [b]sense of sinfulness[/b] before a Holy God. The Church is full of humanism, materialism and pride. There is a lack of fervrent prayer.

Brother you are so right! Some people feel if you are contrite in heart its not something that is good, they say we need to be positive and happy. There is a place for this, to have the joy of the Lord and be content in Jesus and His mighty suffiency for our enjoyment and pleasure. How much do you enjoy God? Have pleasure in praying to Him and seeking His face. I am not just talking about an emotional feeling but in your heart and will how enjoyable is it to seek Him, Is it boring? do you fall asleep? WAKE UP! You just don't act spiritual for 1 hour a week, we are a new creation in Christ, we should live and move and have our being in Christ. But sadly the end times church is marked with this verse:

[b]2 Timothy 3:4b[/b] - lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God.

Quote:
[b]Brokeness[/b], sense of God's holiness and our sin and humility [b]mark all revivals[/b].

AMEN brother!

Quote:
I thank God for this website. It includes sermons from many great men and women who have haerts for God and love to see God at work in a mighty way (revival). The sermons keep my on my knees in prayer asking for revival and the Holy Spirit's grace to live a holy and pure life before God. I want to please Him and glorify the name of Jesus.

Please continue to pray that God will use this website to convict peoples hearts that they need to pray for revival and for people to come closer to Christ in a powerful way!
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1069&forum=16]Praying for SermonIndex.net in 2004[/url]

2004/1/30 17:15Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Everything has to be organized, this world of organization creeps into the church. The language and the concepts of the world come into the church when its so contray to the New Testament.
-Glyn Owen

It seems in the lukewarm church that everything needs to be organized and under [b]our[/b] control not [b]His[/b]. We have need of nothing.. we can do it in His name but without His power. We need to get back to New Testament Christianity. The place in God where we are relying on His might power not our own. I was reading William Gurnall last night and he was talking about 'the power of his might'. How much do we need a realization and vision of this power and our need of it, not to accomplish what we want, but for His work that He is calling us to do in these days of moral decline.

We need to 'appropriate the power of His might' you might ask how the believer avails himself of this power? by trusting fully in Him not in ourselves.

"It has ever been and always will be the Father's will that we trust only Him. God demands to be called the Amighty; He insists we place our confidence in Him.
-William Gurnall

Without God's strenth, you cannot stand in the hour of testing. The challenge is beyond the stretch of human fortitde.
-William Gurnall

The devil laughs at our efforts, without prayer they will not avail against his terrible forces. Even this website ministry without the prayers of all you saints will not make an spiritual IMPACT into the world. Please pray for this ministry and help me to put everybit of it in the masters hands so that by the 'power of His might' lives will be changed and the Lord will send down revival!

2004/2/7 8:28Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Any revival or awakening in God’s people must be accompanied by an appreciation for the holiness of God. It is debatable whether the Church today has ever known the holiness I am referring to, but certainly we have a great repository in scripture in the books of Exodus, Deuteronomy, Leviticus and Numbers. I look for a Last Days’ people, a remnant people of God, who have that same press upon their spirits as the plate that pressed against the forehead of Aaron, ‘Holiness to the Lord;’ a people who are conscious always of what they say and what they do as being before a holy Judge. Such a jealous regard for the holiness of God has been lost to us. Do we really know what the holiness of God means? This revelation is a provision from God, and if it is deeply inscribed upon our hearts, it will be a safeguard against the cheap and flimsy age in which we live.

We need to be reminded that the Holy Spirit means the Spirit of holiness, and before we think that we can obtain the advantage of the Spirit of God as being the Spirit of power or any other benefit that accrues to us through the Spirit, we need to be aware that in its first ministration, the Spirit of God is the Spirit of truth, the Spirit of righteousness and holiness, and then, when received on that basis, He will become to us as power and the other forms that are needful in this life. How shall Jews, who are so caught up in the spirit of the world and are its principal movers, be saved out of their own massive deception if there is not a Church who can show them the holiness of their own God?

The Anatomy of Deception
by Art Katz

2004/2/7 8:46Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Any revival or awakening in God’s people must be accompanied by an appreciation for the holiness of God. It is debatable whether the Church today has ever known the holiness I am referring to, but certainly we have a great repository in scripture in the books of Exodus, Deuteronomy, Leviticus and Numbers. I look for a Last Days’ people, a remnant people of God, who have that same press upon their spirits as the plate that pressed against the forehead of Aaron, ‘Holiness to the Lord;’ a people who are conscious always of what they say and what they do as being before a holy Judge. Such a jealous regard for the holiness of God has been lost to us. Do we really know what the holiness of God means? This revelation is a provision from God, and if it is deeply inscribed upon our hearts, it will be a safeguard against the cheap and flimsy age in which we live.

Its amazing how 'profound' art katz's words are. Its seems to me that he doesn't waste them at all. 'It is debatable whether the Church today has ever known the holiness I am referring to...' He is speaking of deep things that only those who are totally committed to Christ and are in the school of His spirit will ever know and experience.

'Such a jealous regard for the holiness of God has been lost to us.' Lord help us to find this again, let us walk in obedience to your commands. Raise a people that will hear from your mouth and speak onbehalf of you showing your Holy character and majesty. Lord raise a people that are Holy in your sight.

Quote:
We need to be reminded that the Holy Spirit means the Spirit of holiness,

Its quite a simple concept but how we miss it. [b]Holy[/b] Spirit!

Quote:
a Church who can show them the holiness of their own God?

Start with me, start with us! Lord build your holy remenant. We are your 'body' on this earth. We bear your name!

[b]Daniel 9:17-19[/b] - Now, our God, hear the prayers and petitions of your servant. For your sake, O Lord, look with favor on your desolate sanctuary. Give ear, O God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name.

2004/2/7 9:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy