SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Passion Of The Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

Guys, I'm seriously so incredibly excited. I'm counting down the days, with intentions of seeing it at least a dozen times in theaters.
17 days!!!

2004/2/8 9:19Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Me too Mary,

Had some leanings towards what Chanin shared with us today in the thought of first seeing it without any preconceived notions.

Also, there is going to be an interview with Mr.Gibson on Feb. 16th, I believe with Diane Sawyer,(whichever program that is)about the movie.
Don't know the times it is scheduled.

2004/2/8 9:27Profile
5nva

Re:

Hey, someone told me that Mel Gibson is going to be in NY tommorrow. I was told that he is going to be at a debate between Michael Brown and a Jewish Rabbi. I know that the debate is going to be happening but the Mel Gidson thing was news to me. I don't know if it is true but I am planning on going.

I just happen to be in New York for work all week and will be going to the debate tommorrow evening. I will post an update later in the week to let everyone know about it.

In Christ,

Mike

2004/2/9 18:36Profile
5nva

Re:

Well, I just returned from the debate between Michael Brown and Rabbi Shmuley Boteach in NYC.

I don't think I can describe with words how it was so I will just note a few things of interest.

First thing is you can go to a web site and get info about it at www.whokilledjesus.com

Also, Mel Gibson was not there so that was clearly a big rumor.

The debate was somewhat two sided in my opinion as far as what the focus was. Michael Brown was not focusing so much on the Passion movie but on Jesus Christ being the Messiah.

The Rabbi on the other hand was clearly unhappy about the movie coming out and expressed it very very strongly. His focus was on the anti-semitic possibilities from the movie. Also he was saying the new testament teaches that Jews killed Jesus while Michael Brown was saying that it does not say that but says the Jesus layed His life down and that we all killed Jesus.

Michael Brown made it very clear over and over that true Christians would never have hatred for the Jews and that the examples that the Rabbi used of past persucution of the Jews by so called Christians meant they were not Christians.

There were several hundred people there, standing room only. There were press people there but I don't know from what media source. A couple of them did ask questions after the debate.

I also saw Art Katz there. I spoke to him briefly before the debate. He was right up front in front of Michael Brown which I am sure was very encouraging to Mr Brown. Art did tell me that besides his travels he is living in NY to minister to the Jewish community.

The may make the debate available on video so if they do maybe we can get it on the site here.

Sorry there isn't more for me to add about the debate itself but it goes very quickly and it was hard to take notes so I am digesting it in my mind and heart as I recall things.

God bless,

Mike

2004/2/10 19:43Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Much thanks Mike!

I just couldn't resist lifting this from Mr. Brown's handout:

Quote:
6) “ANTI-SEMITIC” STATEMENTS IN THE RABBINIC LITERATURE?
The murder of the elders and Hur, shortly after the Israelites received the Ten Commandments

. . . The Sages said: Satan then found his opportunity; for Moses appeared suspended between heaven and earth and they pointed at him the finger, saying, FOR AS FOR THIS MOSES, etc. [Ex. XXXII, 1]. Hur arose and rebuked them: ‘Ye brainless fools! Have you forgotten the miracles God performed for you?’ Whereupon they rose against him and slew him. (Exodus Rabbah 41:7)

"Ye brainless fools!"

Loved the way he let the scriptures speak for themselves.

Did Art mention his thoughts in regards to the movie? Just curious.

2004/2/11 6:38Profile
Philip

Kansas, USA

Re:

What does everyone think of "The Passion" in regards to the recent post by [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1328&forum=35]eagleswings[/url]?

Here is the Tozer article again:

http://home.att.net/~sovereigngrace/menace.html

I believe we need to really study this out in light of God's word.

Philip

2004/2/11 8:51Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re:

Philip...think of the types of "religious movies" being put out during Tozer's time....
They were inaccurate and highly dramatized. I would compare them to that blasphemous broadway, "Jesus Christ Superstar."
Mel Gibson's movie on the other hand...he has put much prayer and petition toward God in regards to this movie, and has strived to make it historically, medically...and most importantly...Biblically accurate. There's a great difference.

2004/2/11 11:05Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Quote:
They were inaccurate and highly dramatized

I think Mary is right. I've seen some of those old movies and they were almost like cartoons. Not really biblical- lot's of makeup- not very real.

I know the Lord can use anything He chooses to make a point. He used a donkey to speak to men- why not a movie?

He gave me a message once about the Spiderman movie. Some may think this is "wordly"- but it was no joke. :-)

I am not happy about all the hype- but I do think it will speak to some people. It will be different messages for different people.

And then, some people may only be affected for a day or so.

God works in His own ways.

In Him,Chanin

2004/2/11 13:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Just to make it easier to keep track of this particular subtopic, here is the original post:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1328&forum=35#7886]"The Menace of the Religious Movie" by A.W.Tozer[/url]
Edit:
Just realised you had this linked already Philip.
Anyway, it will be easier to follow if the replys are in one place.
Thanks everybody.

2004/2/11 20:03Profile
5nva

Re:

Mike (crsschk):

Art did not speak to the crowd. I spoke to him by myself. I did not ask him any questions really. It was just a friendly, great to see you again talk.

I am curious though to hear if Art Katz, David Wilkerson or Carter Conlon speak about the movie at all to hear their perspective. I have not heard it mentioned once though.

Mike

2004/2/12 4:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy