SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : D.L. Moody (1837–1899)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 D.L. Moody (1837–1899)

[b]D.L. Moody (1837–1899)[/b]
“Someday you will read in the papers that D. L. Moody of East Northfield is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it! At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now; I shall have gone up higher, that is all, out of this old clay tenement into a house that is immortal – a body that death cannot touch, that sin cannot taint; a body fashioned like unto His glorious body.
“I was born of the flesh in 1837. I was born of the Spirit in 1856. That which is born of the flesh may die. That which is born of the Spirit will live forever.”

D. L. Moody may well have been the greatest evangelist of all time. In a 40-year period he won a million souls, founded three Christian schools, launched a great Christian publishing business, established a world-renowned Christian conference center, and inspired literally thousands of preachers to win souls and conduct revivals.

A shoe clerk at 17, his ambition was to make $100,000. Converted at 18, he uncovered hidden gospel gold in the hearts of millions for the next half-century. He preached to 20,000 a day in Brooklyn and admitted only non-church members by ticket!

He met a young songleader in Indianapolis, said bluntly, “You’re the man I’ve been looking for for eight years. Throw up your job and come with me.” Ira D. Sankey did just that; thereafter it was “Moody will preach; Sankey will sing.”

He traveled across the American continent and through Great Britain in some of the greatest and most successful evangelistic meetings communities have ever known. His tour of the world with Sankey was considered the greatest evangelistic enterprise of the century.

It was Henry Varley who said, “It remains to be seen what God will do with a man who gives himself up wholly to Him.” And Moody endeavored to be, under God, that man; and the world did marvel to see how wonderfully God used him.

Two great monuments stand in the indefatigable work and ministry of this gospel warrior – Moody Bible Institute and the famous Moody Church in Chicago.

Moody went to be with the Lord in 1899.

---------------

Quote:
It was Henry Varley who said, “[b]It remains to be seen what God will do with a man who gives himself up wholly to Him.[/b]” And Moody endeavored to be, under God, that man; and the world did marvel to see how wonderfully God used him.

I think that is so powerful!! are we the willing to be [b]that man[/b]? God allow us to be used like you used these great men in the past generations. Where is the moody of today. who will step up. Who is small enough in their own interests and are fully given to the interest of Jesus Christ?

[b]Philippians 2:20-22[/b] - I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone looks out for his own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.

Doesn't this passage of scripture shock you :-o? 'everyone looks out for his own interest, not those of Jesus Christ' but Timothy and Paul were a different breed of men. And may I say so was Moody. The high-calling in Christ Jesus seems like a low calling from the human viewpoint. Ohh to have our interest's fully on Jesus Christ and Him alone!

2004/1/29 19:38Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: D.L. Moody (1837–1899)

Dr R W Dale.. told Campbell Morgan that he had known one man who, he felt, had perfect right to talk about Hell, and that man was D L Moody. He stated that the reason he so felt was that he never heard Moody refer to Hell without tears in his voice.

2004/1/30 3:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy