SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : They Were All Virgins

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

Quote:
They didn't take extra oil, my friend, extra. That is inferred if not stated.

It is not inferred and most surely isn't stated - even a blind man can see that!
Quote:
Then ALL those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

How does trimming their lamps infer that they had at one time had oil but didn't take any extra? It doesn't! The trimming of a lamp speaks of preparing the wick for lighting. But a prepared wick is no good without proper fuel - "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, 'Give us of your oil; [i]for our lamps are gone out[/i]'" (Matthew 25:7-8). The wick was lit but it didn't burn long - "our lamps are gone out" - not because they ran out of oil but because they "took no oil with them" (25:3).
Quote:
I accept your apology in advance.

None given until proper exegesis proves otherwise. Eisegesis http://www.creationists.org/eisegesis.html is an unacceptable approach for Scripture interpretation.

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/9/28 14:57Profile

Re:

Quote:

OverSeer wrote:
Quote:
They didn't take extra oil, my friend, extra. That is inferred if not stated.

It is not inferred and most surely isn't stated - even a blind man can see that!
Quote:
Then ALL those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.

How does trimming their lamps infer that they had at one time had oil but didn't take any extra? It doesn't! The trimming of a lamp speaks of preparing the wick for lighting. But a prepared wick is no good without proper fuel - "Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, 'Give us of your oil; [i]for our lamps are gone out[/i]'" (Matthew 25:7-8). The wick was lit but it didn't burn long - "our lamps are gone out" - not because they ran out of oil but because they "took no oil with them" (25:3).
Quote:
I accept your apology in advance.

None given until proper exegesis proves otherwise. Eisegesis http://www.creationists.org/eisegesis.html is an unacceptable approach for Scripture interpretation.

Grace and peace
Olan

Then I leave you to your willful ignorance :-(

2006/9/28 15:02
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

Ormly wrote:

Quote:
Then I leave you to your willful ignorance

Whose? Mine or yours? :-)

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/9/28 15:06Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
'Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out'" (Matthew 25:7-8). The wick was lit but it didn't burn long - "our lamps are gone out" - not because they ran out of oil but because they "took no oil with them"

The tenses would tend to support this. It is not 'our lamps have gone out' but 'our lamps are going out'. Robinson's Word Pictures comments: When the five foolish virgins lit their lamps, they discovered the lack of oil. The sputtering, flickering, smoking wicks were a sad revelation. ...but then I don't think this oil or its absence has anything to do with the Holy Spirit. It is simply an illustration of unpreparedness.

2006/9/28 15:11Profile

Re:

Quote:
...but then I don't think this oil or its absence has anything to do with the Holy Spirit. It is simply an illustration of unpreparedness

Yes... And?

Are you trying to say there are no Spiritual implications? Then why the likening of this to the Kingdom of God?

You guys are starting to give me pause.

2006/9/28 15:48

Re:

Quote:

OverSeer wrote:
Ormly wrote:
Quote:
Then I leave you to your willful ignorance

Whose? Mine or yours? :-)

Grace and peace
Olan

Apparently your ability to read is more lacking than I supposed....nor can you make distinctions.

2006/9/28 15:50
mamaluk

Re:

I don't think I should bring in another school of interpretation. ( Which says that this parable is not to be interpreted with the Church in mind but rather Israel. ) However, this is one of the rare threads where I actually can agree with everyone's insight so far, from Roadsign's..

Since this is a parable, I see the "2-edgedness" of the Word here which teaches me both in:

- Spiritual implication - as an admonition to preparedness or watchfulness in our walk towards the future.

- Soteriological discernment- as an distinction between tares and wheat, sheep and goats, wise and unwise, true of false believers..

As Ron mentioned
"We have to be careful not to try too hard to map every part of a parable to a truth. Allegories are like that but not parables. These 'virgins' were simply 'young women' and thoughts of 'separation' to their one man does not come into this parable."

A parable can tolerate plural applications, can it not?

Btw, none of you appears to me as willfully ignorant ! :)

2006/9/28 16:20Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

Ormly wrote:

Quote:
Apparently your ability to read is more lacking than I supposed....nor can you make distinctions.

Actually it is you dear brother who can't make distinctions. I spoke of being corrected by exegesis instead of being destroyed by eisegesis. All that you have offered so far is eisegesis. I knew that you were saying that you were leaving me to "my willful ignorance" (my ability to read may go farther than you think) but in your statement you offered no hint that you would engage in exegesis which I am more than happy to engage in with any willing saint. Therefore, although you believe that I am deceived or at least ignorant, you offer no sound reasoning from the scriptures to make a defense in support of your interpretation. So not only do you leave me to my ignorance, you leave me to yours also!

Grace and peace
Olan

PS. The parables are for the purpose of revealing the mysteries of the kingdom to those who have received the truth and for concealing the mysteries to those who have rejected the truth (see Matthew 13:10-13).

From Matthew 24:32 - 25:46, Jesus was giving parables of the end-times that explained the mysteries of the kingdom up to His coming. The parable of the ten virgins explains the counterfeit Christians among the true Christians and how they (counterfeit Christians) hold to a form of godliness (lamp bearers) but have denied its power (no oil). For further explanation see 2 Timothy 3:1-5 for a description of the apostate church members of the last days - those signified by the foolish virgins.

2006/9/28 16:48Profile

Re:

The analogy speaks for itself, requiring no further "indepth" study.. I stand by my remark that you can't read nor make proper distinctions.
They all had oil IN their lamps when they set out.

2006/9/28 17:47
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

Ormly wrote:

Quote:
The analogy speaks for itself, requiring no further "indepth" study..

You speak for yourself and have no further scripture to support your eisegesis http://www.creationists.org/eisegesis.html
Quote:

"They that were foolish took their lamps, [b]and took no oil with them[/b]" (Matthew 25:3). What part of "took no oil with them" do you not understand? Even by implication it is obvious that they did not set out with oil in their lamps because the lamps were not being used until the cry that came at midnight (v.6). Instead of being out and about as light bearers, "they all slumbered and slept" (v.5). Pretty hard to burn out your oil when you are sleeping and your lamp isn't lit!
Quote:

Would Jesus tell us that they took no oil with them when they did? No! This is a classic case of eisegesis - reading into the text what isn't there in order to support an existing belief or understanding!

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/9/28 19:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy