SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Irish Fire of 1859

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

The Irish Fire of 1859

There were four young men in Ireland whose hearts were burdened for the salvation of souls. They believed in the power of prayer, and met together for united earnest intercession for revival. The story of George Muller, and his great orphanage at Bristol, England, supported entirely in answer to believing prayer, quickened the faith of the young men. They began to believe that God could and would do mighty things in answer to their prayers.

Others also, who longed for revival, joined this prayer band, and they began to see definite conversions in answer to their intercession. Then came the news of the great revival in the United States, and the faith of the members of the prayer group was still further strengthened.

They heard that in New York City large numbers of businessmen met daily for prayer. Like Jacob of old, the young men cried out: "I will not let Thee go, except Thou bless me." They believed the Word of God in Matthew 18:19 and 20: "Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them."

Prayer meetings in Ireland began to multiply, and people were being saved daily. Then the fire fell from heaven! John Shearer in his book "Old Time Revivals" tells what happened: "A great revival is like a forest fire. At first there is only a thin line of flame. But soon its progress is so swift and widely diffused that the eye can no longer keep pace with it. The flame bursts forth at once in many places, and now we see but one great conflagration. So it was with this marvelous work of grace. You might observe its course in Connor and a little beyond in 1858. But in 1859 the heavenly fire was leaping up and spreading in all directions through Antrim, Downs, Derry, Tyrone, and the other counties of Ulster, and to this, day '59' is remembered as the pre-eminent year of grace.

"As it advanced, it burned with a fierce intensity. In Connor the conversions were of a comparatively quiet type. But in Ahoghill, Ballymena, and elsewhere, there was a great smiting down. Sin was felt as a crushing and intolerable burden, and men and women often fell to the earth and continued for days in a state of utter prostration. Others were suddenly pierced as by a sharp sword, and their agonized cry for help was heard in the streets and in the fields. Here, for example, is a 'farmer returning from market in Ballymena. His mind is wholly intent upon the day's bargain. He pauses, takes out some money, and begins to count it. Suddenly an awful Presence envelops him. In a moment his only thought is that he is a sinner standing on the brink of hell. His silver is scattered, and he falls upon the dust of the highway, crying out for mercy.

"There was a wonderful work amongst the children. The blessing had come to Coleraine, and one day the school master observed a boy so troubled that he was quite unfit for lessons. He kindly sent him home in the company of an older boy who had already found peace. As the two lads went on their way they saw an empty house, and went into it for prayer.

"While they knelt the painful burden lifted from the boy's heart. He sprang to his feet in a transport of joy. Returning to the school, he ran up to the master and, with a beaming face, cried out, 'Oh, I am so happy! I have the Lord Jesus in my heart.' The effect of these artless words was very great. Boy after boy rose and silently left the room. In a little while the master followed and discovered his boys ranged alongside the wall of the playground, every one apart and on his knees!

"Very soon their silent prayer became a bitter cry. It was heard by those within and pierced their hearts. They cast themselves upon their knees, and their cry for mercy was heard in the girls' schoolroom above. In a few moments the whole school was upon its knees, and its wail of distress was heard in the street.

"Neighbors and passers-by came flocking in, and, as they crossed the threshold, came under the same convicting power. Every room was filled with men, women, and children seeking God. The ministers of the town and men of prayer were sent for, and the whole day was spent in directing these mourners to the Lord Jesus. That school proved to be for many the house of God and the very gate of heaven.

"It pleased God to use in a very remarkable manner the simple testimony of the four young men of Connor. Through them the revival reached Belfast. Of a sudden, ministers who had toiled in vain for years found themselves surrounded by sin-sick souls clamoring for the life-giving Word. But for the co-operation of Sabbath School teachers and other friends they would speedily have been exhausted with the work. Vast and memorable gatherings were held. Districts notorious as the scenes of party strife, witnessed the triumph of the gospel of peace. Bitter opponents knelt together at the Savior’s feet. Belfast became like a city of God."

The awakening that followed was indeed extraordinary. It was the greatest spiritual quickening that the land had witnessed for generations. Visitors from many lands flocked to Ireland to witness the great awakening. Churches were filled to overflowing. The hearts of the ministers sang for joy as they saw sinners in an agony of soul under the convicting power of the Holy Spirit; then bursting forth into ecstatic joy as they found pardon and peace; and going forth with the light of heaven on their faces to tell others the glad tidings.

2006/9/20 13:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy